xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Snes9x Running on PS3 Yellow Dog Linux  (Read 416 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Snes9x Running on PS3 Yellow Dog Linux
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 8-12-2006 15:12 EST

Here's a video of Snes9x (a SNES emulator) running on PS3 via Yellow Dog Linux:

Snes9x running near full speed on PS3 yellow dog linux.
Featuring Chrono Trigger. Sound is choppy, and the controller doesn't work.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »

Its too bad compatibility is so crappy at the moment...are there any ppc builds of snes9x?

Mr. Me

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »

Sweet, as soon as the PS3 can take over my original Xbox as my media player and run all my emulators I'll buy one.

kizmet

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »

a tutorial from terra soft, comes with the promise of a more optimized hardware accelerated build soon.

http://www.terrasoft...-nintendo.shtml

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

No graphic filters, choppy music and framerate, and horribly non intuitive user interface.  Am i missing something here?

They are having a hard time with Snes9x running on the ps3 linux?  Why?  Good luck at getting any higher-level emulators running on it then; N64.  I guess the ps3 Linux is not the replacement for hardware level programming, and unsigned code that sony is trying to get people to believe.

The xbox runs Snes9x and Zsnes perfectly, and in 720p with filters enabled.

This post has been edited by Foe-hammer: Dec 9 2006, 04:45 AM

Hmerly

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 01:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(kizmet @ Dec 8 2006, 06:09 PM) *

a tutorial from terra soft, comes with the promise of a more optimized hardware accelerated build soon.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/...-nintendo.shtml

Except, even if they release a version with hardware acceleration, you couldn't use that feature on the PS3 since you have no access to the GPU.  This is nothing more than Sony's hype and fud machine at work.  They won't allow GPU access due to all the hacks/piracy potentials, yet they go on arguing how great a "computer" the PS3 is and how it can do all this stuff.  Hope people are finally going to catch on and realize what Sony is really doing.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 04:30:00 AM »

Yep; it seems the only reason sony has linux on the ps3 was to get out of taxes on home electronic products in the UK by saying it is a PC.  Smart, but pathetic.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »

So much for doing anything actually useful in PS3 linux.....looks like my xbox1 will remain my ROM center for a while...

puppydg68

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

Guys, considering the unit has been out 2 weeks before they started getting this stuff done, why can't you see it's a pretty good start.  How long did it take for a nice user friendly XBOX snes emulator to get going on xbox.. Months!

Once the developers and hackers get access to PS3's and start writing some gui's and interfaces there should be nothing that ps3 can't do that your current console of choice can.. Just give the programmers some time to make some apps.. Xbox and XBMC didn't come overnight.

The nice thing is that XBMC's video backbone is based on mplayer, which has already proven to work perfectly in PS3 Linux (in full resolution HDTV).  So it's all coming.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 10:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(puppydg68 @ Dec 9 2006, 07:53 PM) View Post

Guys, considering the unit has been out 2 weeks before they started getting this stuff done, why can't you see it's a pretty good start.  How long did it take for a nice user friendly XBOX snes emulator to get going on xbox.. Months!

Once the developers and hackers get access to PS3's and start writing some gui's and interfaces there should be nothing that ps3 can't do that your current console of choice can.. Just give the programmers some time to make some apps.. Xbox and XBMC didn't come overnight.

The nice thing is that XBMC's video backbone is based on mplayer, which has already proven to work perfectly in PS3 Linux (in full resolution HDTV).  So it's all coming.

It had linux preinstalled on it.  It is not the same thing as running unsigned code from the hardware lvl; i.e., hacking it.  Plus the first SNES emulator on the xbox was snes9x, and the very first version of it ran at full speed without audio glitches.  So you tell me?

The ps2 also had a sony endorsed linux on it, and did it do anything for the ps2 mod scene?  Not much.

Point is?  Linux is not the answer/replacement for hacking a console for unsigned code.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Dec 9 2006, 10:26 PM) *

It had linux preinstalled on it.  It is not the same thing as running unsigned code from the hardware lvl; i.e., hacking it.  Plus the first SNES emulator on the xbox was snes9x, and the very first version of it ran at full speed without audio glitches.  So you tell me?

The ps2 also had a sony endorsed linux on it, and did it do anything for the ps2 mod scene?  Not much.

Point is?  Linux is not the answer/replacement for hacking a console for unsigned code.

Here's to hoping the PS3 is hacked speedily and effectively
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

kizmet

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hmerly @ Dec 9 2006, 02:01 AM) View Post

Except, even if they release a version with hardware acceleration, you couldn't use that feature on the PS3 since you have no access to the GPU.  This is nothing more than Sony's hype and fud machine at work.  They won't allow GPU access due to all the hacks/piracy potentials, yet they go on arguing how great a "computer" the PS3 is and how it can do all this stuff.  Hope people are finally going to catch on and realize what Sony is really doing.

by optimized i mean using all the spe co processors, not gpu acceleration, ps3 linux can handle snes emulation at full speed, full sound, and joypad support. heres a vid of someone playing marvel vs capcom on mame.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(kizmet @ Dec 10 2006, 04:29 PM) View Post

ps3 linux can handle snes emulation at full speed, full sound, and joypad support. heres a vid of someone playing marvel vs capcom on mame.

Well currently it obviously cannot.  And there is no excuse for that other then having to use linux, considering xbox snes9x first version ran at full speed with no sound glitching on the xbox.

Dirvance

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »

No matter how good of a start it maybe it won't be enough for you guys huh? It could have everything everyone mentioned and someone would still find something it doesn't have just so they can bitch about it not being up to par with xbox1. Try something else for a change....like being grateful  dry.gif

Anyway i hope they work out the kinks. If the Ps3 can replace my xbox sooner then the x360 will it looks like i'll be getting a ps3 first. Go linux!!! and the people optimizing it for ppc and all its spe's

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

Not good enough?  Damn right it is not good enough when you have the xbox 1 outperforming the mighty ps3 in emulators on the get go.  That should tell you something.  I'd be saying the samething if the 360 were performing emulation is the same pethetic manner as the ps3.
Pages: [1] 2 3