xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mplayer Or Vlc On Fedora On Ps3?  (Read 214 times)

the0ry

• Archived User
Mplayer Or Vlc On Fedora On Ps3?
« on: November 26, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »

First I'll tell you I'm not lucky or unlucky enough to own a PS3.  I do have some questions for those who do and have played around with Fedora on the PS3.  

1.  How functional is Fedora on the PS3?  Specifically, can you access your home network via the Fedora?  
2.  Can you install other apps like the MPlayer and VLC?

The main reason why I ask these questions is I'm looking to use the PS3 as a media center that is capable of HD output.  So, I'm wondering if you have Fedora installed as well as MPlayer and/or VLC can you connect to your network to watch movies/tv shows?  

the0ry

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »

For some reason I can't edit my post so here...

Does this quote interfere with what I'm asking about?

"PS3 has a powerful graphic processing unit with high speed host connection. The GPU is connected to both HDMI and AV multi interface. Although the GPU is connected directly to CBE, no direct access by guest OSes to the GPU is allowed currently. Video mode/format setting is also the role of AV setting driver. PS3 Linux fb driver calls AV setting driver to setup video modes.

Currently X server uses virtual frame buffer to render its image. No hardware acceleration is supported under Linux. See the description above section."

the0ry

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »

Finally, my question was answered by Rob over at 1up.com.  You can watch a vid of what Fedora is really capable of or you can dl the larger version here.

Now, if I can only find a ps3 it will replace my xbox running xbmc.

apocknight

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »

thanks for the link I been wanting to know this also.