xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: XboxHDM 2.2 (USB Edition)  (Read 5152 times)

RepCom1138

• Archived User
XboxHDM 2.2 (USB Edition)
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

We'll just get this out of the way...

I've trolled on here for about two years.
My original modded box is dead (possible corrosion issue)

I bought a new (so to speak) box and I am attempting my first softmod/hotswap.
My PC only has one IDE port and my CD/DVD is SATA.
I gave up on xboxhdm 1.9 after reading about the lack of two IDE ports or being able to use a single IDE ribbon.

I am now trying to use xbobhdm 2.2, but I can't figure out how to run it.

Is there a viable tutorial on using this beast? Any help would be appreciated!

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »

XBoxHDM2 SourceForge Project Page

Main architect: ldotsfan
Dual boot/testing: scullc
Script developments: fwz

=============================================================

Updated 15-06-2010 - Xboxhdm2.2 (USB Edition) - Final Release

OK Folks,

Here is xboxhdm2.2  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/cifa/Clipboard03.jpg)

This is a small/incremental update to xboxhdm2.1 - I hope it gives end users an alternative option in multibooting & additional help in un/locking the HDD.
There have been reports of incompatibility (Error 21 on xbox rebuilds) when using fuwi’s multiboot – so the links have been removed. Please disregard other MegaUpload builds that do not use the RMPrepUSB boot method.  

The (only) current working method for xboxhdm2.2 (using RMPrepUSB) is here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O31E4QDI (152mb GUI Version only)

Change List:
  1. Grubloader remains as the front-end GUI for multiboot loading but updated to Feb 2010.
  2. Minor fixes of FreeDOS paths & folders.
  3. PDF reader added to Slax to view the FAQ – the module may possibly require manual loading (see additional help file if required).
  4. The use of MHDD for low-level HDD diagnostics & other XBOX un/locking functions is acknowledged. This was demonstrated by rmathiot as an effective and alternative method of unlocking in certain scenarios. For more details refer to 'unlocking using MHDD' in help folder.
  5. Extra documentation added to provide more information on the functions of xboxhdm2.2 and its associated tools (FreeDOS/MHDD/hparm/Slax).
  6. Added rmathiot's modified Ndure3.1 script that (experimentally) allows XBOX rebuilds using xboxhdm2.2 & Ndure 3.1.

A 512mb USB stick is recommended & is essential if you are going to rebuild the HDD.
A 256mb USB stick should suffice for un/locking & HDD tool purposes.

********full use guide is contained in the help folder on the root of the zip file********

Quick use/set-up:
  1. Download RMPrepUSB: <a href=\"http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/\" target=\"_blank\">http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/</a>
  2. Run RMPREPUSB.exe
  3. I chose syslinux boot option then 'prepare drive' - note I selected 'no' when asked any questions during this part
  4. I then choose to install grub4dos using RMPREPUSB.
  5. Place your "eeprom.bin" file in the "eeprom" folder located on the root of the flash drive.
  6. Populate the /hdm/C folder with the M$ Dashboard files.
  7. Populate the /hdm/E folder with any chosen files (games saves etc) that you require installed.
  8. That's it! Reboot using the USB drive and if all gone well, you should see the (blue) boot screen. Choose what you need in the boot menu or wait a few seconds and Slax GUI/console will be automatically selected.
    9.Some help files now located in a “help” folder on the root of the USB stick including the (outdated) xboxhdmFAQ_8.1.pdf. There are also tips/code on using FreeDOS to un/lock your HDD and other some help on other advanced methods (hdparm/MHDD).
NOTE:
SATA HDD drives are largely untested but some users have suggested that forcing IDE legacy mode in the BIOS, may yield success.

Those who have <512mb mem please refer below on downloading & using xboxhdm 2.1.

If anyone fancies the challenge of an XBOX HDD rebuild using this tool & Ndure 3.1 please step forward & test & report - (thanks welandB for your efforts last year)

scullc

=============================================================

Previous update 21-08-2009 - Xboxhdm2.1 (usb Edition)

Xboxhdm2 has recently undergone considerable development and this quick updated guide aims to unify the main changes. It therefore supersedes the XboxHDM2 (USB Edition) - Alpha Release thread which is listed for reference only.

Some caveats and disclaimers:
  1. This is primarily designed to boot from USB flash drives.
  2. If your PC’s BIOS does not support USB booting – all is not lost. An ISO (cd-kicker) has been devised to allow your PC to boot from CD and then load the files of USB (chain-loading). The ISO is contained within the zip file.
  3. The tool is designed for advanced users as it assumes you are already familiar with xboxhdm.
  4. It may not work at all and may thrash your drive. Ensure you already have eeprom.bin and can recover with the original xboxhdm.
  5. HDD start up times will be greatly extended if you have a locked HDD attached, although this is markedly reduced when booting from FreeDOS.
  6. Additional features over old version:
    1. Boots from USB.
    2. Integrated dual-booting allows for Linux & DOS tools to co-exist to get your HDD un/locked.
    3. Any of the 4 IDE connections may be used now to connect Xbox HDD. CD-ROM drive not needed (if you can boot from USB).
    4. No reboots between HDD rebuilds and locking.
    5. Linux ISO building no longer required.
    6. GUI (Slax) & Console versions available – depending on your memory requirements.
    To unlock full potential of xboxhdm2.1 – you are going to need (as a minimum) your eeprom and optionally but highly recommended, the M$ Dashboard files (to allow rebuilds etc...)
How to use:
  1. First determine how much memory is in your system.
  2. Pending your memory requirements, download either xboxhdm2.1-full-gui.rar (if using more than 512mb RAM) or xboxhdm2.1-lite-console.rar (if using less than 512mb RAM) from the project download page.
  3. Extract all the files and folders from inside your chosen zip to the root of your USB flash drive.
  4. Place your "eeprom.bin" file in the "eeprom" folder located on the root of the flash drive.  
  5. Populate the /hdm/C folder with the M$ Dashboard files.
  6. Populate the /hdm/E folder with any chosen files (games saves etc) that you require installed.
    7. To get your USB to multi-boot the different file systems you need to download and install grub4dos gui
  7. Now using the file you downloaded in step 7 - follow these instructions to install the MBR to get your USB drive to multi-boot (**make sure you select the right drive to install the MBR to. Get it wrong and you could brick your PC!!)
  8. That's it! Reboot using the USB drive and if all gone well, you should see the grub4dos boot screen. Choose what you need in the boot menu or wait a few seconds and Slax GUI/console (depending what version you downloaded) will be automatically selected.
  9. Help files now located in a “help” folder on the root of the USB stick including the xboxhdmFAQ_8.1.pdf. Fwz's changes ensure you are no longer required to input paths manually (its all done automatically) – but the FAQ should help you get started. There are also tips/code on using FreeDOS to un/lock your HDD and other advanced methods (using hdparm within Slax GUI).
Testing & reporting is greatly appreciated.
Good luck.
scullc/ldotsfan

This post has been edited by Bomb Bloke: Sep 25 2010, 01:00 AM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I see that there is a Spanish version of the tutorial and a Spanish version of the tool as well with the addition of spanish.lzm  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I don't understand Spanish but Google Translate helped to make sense of the contents.

Encouraging to see that there are non-English users of this tool  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Aug 26 2009, 03:04 PM) *

Encouraging to see that there are non-English users of this tool  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

amazing & good to hear
out of curiosity - where did you see that Spanish effort?

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(scullc @ Aug 27 2009, 01:42 AM) View Post

amazing & good to hear
out of curiosity - where did you see that Spanish effort?

The first Google result with "xboxhdm2.1" for Spanish language results.

jairolas

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »

Mine stops loading vmlinuz part  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This post has been edited by jairolas: Oct 26 2009, 05:26 AM

jairolas

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(jairolas @ Oct 26 2009, 05:23 AM) View Post

Mine stops loading vmlinuz part  blink.gif

I changed my usb port to primary and now stops at initdr something like that lol

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(jairolas @ Oct 27 2009, 01:17 AM) View Post

I changed my usb port to primary and now stops at initdr something like that lol

can you provide more detail? i am not sure what you mean.
generally this tool is meant for advanced users & it assumes you are already familiar with xboxhdm (the original).
please also ensure you are reading the build instructions to the letter as i have never seen this error before.

jairolas

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(scullc @ Oct 27 2009, 09:47 PM) View Post

can you provide more detail? i am not sure what you mean.
generally this tool is meant for advanced users & it assumes you are already familiar with xboxhdm (the original).
please also ensure you are reading the build instructions to the letter as i have never seen this error before.

Well, I'm trying this in a old computer with only 256mb ram and two USB ports, both ports are low speed (But I think it doesn't matter cause I boot damn small linux usb live with that same usb and the same low speed port)
I downloaded the light version formated my 2 gb usb with Fat32, did everything in the tutorial, BUT I didn't put my linux iso I was just testing the app, so yeah everything OK, I put my eprom, C and E folder and then I maked bootable the usb with bootinst.bat
The computer start and then after a short time the usb start with the green splash menu, but stopped at vmlinuz, then I changed the usb to another port (the first port) and now stays at initgr or something like that.
I'm gonna try this again and see what happens.
Edit in a few moments...

jairolas

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »

Ops I can't edit, well I tried again and yes... it was my fault lol
I was doing something worng and now everything loads fine BUT I still have a big problem, when I press 1 in the option 2 to enter hdmaker it says : Could not allocate physical  memory and that's it, maybe I need more ram or something.

This post has been edited by jairolas: Oct 28 2009, 07:06 AM

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 03:15:00 AM »

I agree.
I suspect you haven't got enough memory in that machine but i am a little surprised tbh.
generally the tool hasn't been rigorously tested in less than 512mb and your experience seems to bear that out.
see here for other minimum testing experience.
that machine got a CD-ROM?
you could always try the original HDM method

kronflux

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »

any chance this will give the ability to configure how large each partition will be?
this is probably a very n00bish question, but I want a direct response from the people I know I can get a decent answer from, instead of getting out of date posts, or whatever else..
I want to be able to install a new hard drive in my xbox, and bam, start out with custom sized C, E, and F partitions, perhaps even G.
and if that's not possible, how would I go about resizing those partitions, and would it be recommended against for any particular reason?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »

No, xboxhdm doesn't do that. While it is possible to resize C and E (and presumably X, Y and Z) it is not recommended - there are loads of posts from people who have tried this with mixed results.

Your real choice is how you divide the remaining space between F and G, and xboxhdm doesn't do that either. You set up the stock partitions with xboxhdm, then use XBPartitioner 1.1 to set up F and G.

If you want to experiment, you can use XBPartitioner 1.1 to adjust the stock partition sizes, but doing so will erase the data on those partitions, and for a softmodded Xbox you will then need to run xboxhdm again to populate the resized partitions - although I'm not entirely sure that would work properly.....

jairolas

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »

Well I think this  is a qemu issue I tried adding more swap and nothing, algo tried ulimit -d unlimited and nothing, the only way to fix this is adding more ram so this  doesn't work with less than 384mb.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(jairolas @ Oct 28 2009, 09:05 PM) View Post

Well I think this  is a qemu issue I tried adding more swap and nothing, algo tried ulimit -d unlimited and nothing, the only way to fix this is adding more ram so this  doesn't work with less than 384mb.  rolleyes.gif

seems a heavy amount of RAM needed  & without any other means of testing/feedback we're probably nearer getting the required minimum to run the (lite) tool.
i recall ldotsfan had similar issues in real world testing & with qemu see here
however this doesn't help you - what are you trying to achieve?
there are other ways to rebuild that HDD (hdm original CD method/stick it in chipped box...etc)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16