xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help! Blue Ray Drive Problem 40gb Ps3 (kes-410a)  (Read 158 times)

wildwild

• Archived User
Help! Blue Ray Drive Problem 40gb Ps3 (kes-410a)
« on: June 29, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »

Hi all,

I was given a PS3 console with a faulty DVD drive. It's got a KES-410A with two lasers. None of the lasers light up when a clear disc is inserted and the disc spindle does not turn. The analog clock (top right) turns once when a disc is inserted. The game disc icon does not show up in the Game menu.

Is is a dead laser or the drive board? The analog clock turns once, does it mean that it still has the original drive?

Thanks in advance.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

ExitRooster

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »

What is your level of expertise?  Have you checked to see if the laser assy. is getting any voltage, or elsewhere on the circuit board it attaches to?  If a multimeter is out of your grasp, you can start by replacing the entire drive assy with another and see if it works.. If so, again, assuming no diagnostic tools, you can start swapping parts out using your known goods.  It's impossible for anyone to accurately diagnose it based on the info provided.  It's like saying, "my car won't start.  The headlights come on, but it won't start".

wildwild

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

I am very proficient with electronics.

Unfortunately, I don't have another KES-410A drive to swap. The head moves forward and backward but it does not move up and down and it the lasers do not light up. I am thinking of buying another KEM-410A assembly (with deck) to try out.

Thanks.

ExitRooster

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »

Ahh good deal then.. Hit your ground and trace your power up to the point where it dies..  This will quickly determine whether you need to replace/fix (if you have a solder station and parts) the laser assy, the control board, a ribbon cable, or the entire assy.  I don't have any of those units with the dual-laser or I'd offer ya some points to test myself.

wildwild

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:44:00 AM »

Update:

I have tried it with a new laser with deck and still no change. The drive motor does not spin up.

Could it be the drive IC?

Cheers.

sad.gif

wildwild

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:24:00 AM »

UPDATE:

Fixed the problem by replacing the BD board and transferred the NAND IC over smile.gif