xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do I Replace The 80gb Hd With 160gb  (Read 95 times)

djmontay22

• Archived User
How Do I Replace The 80gb Hd With 160gb
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »

Yes, I have watched the simple youtube videos and opened it up.  That is not the problem. I do not care to backup my old HD onto my new one.  My questions are, what type of 160GB HD would I have to get?  Please be specific on the brand and model number.  Also, would I have to do anything specific to the new 160GB HD like setting up some weird crap like some type of sony software onto the HD from my computer?  If so, how would I do that?  Is there a video on how to do it?  I am not looking for an answer on how to open up the PS3 HD.  I already know how to do that.  When I went into best buy and asked the geek squad, they said that I could buy any SATA 2.5 which I knew that was not true.  Also, they stated that I can just buy the 160GB HD and put in the PS3 and it will work just like that.  I highly doubt that.  Please be specific on how to do this stuff.  I am not a computer genious.

melongstrike

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »

Pretty much 2.5 sata

Open the ps3, secure in new hdd.

Go to playstation's website and download the system data file to a usb drive with this format.

USB drive > "folder" PS3 > "folder" UPDATE > "file" which will be something like PS3UPDAT.PUP

They will ask where is the ps3 data, you select the usb and it will do it's thing from there.

Hope this helps a little.

strikelong

mr2000jp

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:46:00 PM »

its true , you can use any 2.5 hdd with any size you can find ,  just pop it in the ps3 , go to the menu and format it , now you are ready to go ,
i do it all the time for my friends , moving the old data to the new one is the only thing that is annoying , since you dont need that , then no problem,