xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ps3 Bd-rom Motor Isn't Spinning.  (Read 349 times)

dajonesta

• Archived User
Ps3 Bd-rom Motor Isn't Spinning.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

Hi guys my problem is that when i turn my system on, my drive makes a grinding sound, the blue light is on, and it acts like its trying to eject a disc, even though there is not on in there. How I go about fixing that problem? thanks i advance!!!

colombo187

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »

I tried the procedures to test functionality listed above but my disk still won't spin.  Does this, more than likely, mean I need a new laser?  When I power up the ps3 the laser assembly moves into place then the laser lens does a little dance, but no laser diode light and when the disk is in place it won't spin. When attempting the functionality test I have the front optical sensor unplugged.  I was just wanting a little confirmation that this is consistent with a laser being shot.  Any feedback is appreciated thanks.

colombo187

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »

dajonesta,  I was having the same issue after I took my drive apart.  Following jdkbuddy's suugestion of taking the retractor assembly off, plugging the drive in and getting the loading bars to track properly, seemed to work.  My problem was that something was stuck with the left bar.  But take the retractor assembly off first (the piece in the front with all those cosmo cogs and spacely sprockets beneath it)

This post has been edited by colombo187: Aug 30 2008, 06:30 PM

dajonesta

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

thanks guys I finally got it working!!

Daffy1

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(colombo187 @ Aug 30 2008, 06:46 PM)  

I tried the procedures to test functionality listed above but my disk still won't spin.  Does this, more than likely, mean I need a new laser?  When I power up the ps3 the laser assembly moves into place then the laser lens does a little dance, but no laser diode light and when the disk is in place it won't spin. When attempting the functionality test I have the front optical sensor unplugged.  I was just wanting a little confirmation that this is consistent with a laser being shot.  Any feedback is appreciated thanks.

Did you ever get this working?  This is exactly what my 40gb KEM-400aaa is doing right now.  I'm not sure how to test the drive motor but everything happens the very same way you are describing.  There is a sound like its trying to spin, maybe 4 soft low-volume clicks and then it stops.  This does not turn the disc but if you put your finger on the spindle with the disc in there, at the time the system makes the clicks sound you can feel something on the spindle.  I will replace the laser or the motor if I knew that was the problem, but I just don't know.

dcaway

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

does the disk spin freely by hand? reason i ask is i bought a red light ps3, fixed that only to find that it wouldnt play any disks. i then started reading this thread and playing around with the drive. i first tried helping the disk to spin during init and it didnt help, i also noticed that the disk didnt spin freely, it seemed to have some drag on the disk. i then realligned the spindle hub a bit and it started playing red laser disks but no blu rays. i realligned it a bit more and it began working for all blu rays and red laser disks.

Daffy1

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »

Yes in my case the disc does spin freely when inserted.  I tried inserting a clear disc (like one in the top of a spindle of discs) and this way i could see what the lens was doing.  The lens actually moves in towards the inside of the disc and then pushes up a few times.  This is the sound I was hearing and the feeling i felt when touching the disc.  There is no attempt to spin however.  

I would just buy the laser if i had a good feeling that was the prob, but I really don't yet.  I do now know that the laser does not light up at any point at all.  I thought the way this worked was that the disc would spin up, the laser would attempt to read (or not if it was a faulty laser), then either play the disc or not.  Maybe i'm wrong though and the laser does some sort of check first before spinning up the disc....

dcaway

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 04:27:00 AM »

if the laser diode is burnt out, the disk will not spin at all. this sounds like your problem, replace the laser and you should be good to go.

Daffy1

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »

Ahh, that's the answer I was looking for!  Except, one more question, does the bluray laser (i only have one laser since this is a kes-400aaa NOT 410aca) light up when you put the disc in to test BEFORE spinning the disc?  This is what I attempted to verify using the clear disc and it moved around but did not light up even for a second...

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »

I had to take a drive apart to clean it, and now I can't get the thing assembled right. Seems I'm having trouble with the piece that rolls the disc in (two white things, and they have the loose gray things that go over top, near the front of the drive). If I screw it down, and move the white plastic things, I can't move them all the way to the ends.

I found a semi-detailed site of pictures, but I really don't know where I'm going wrong on this.

Is there any kind of checklist or something I can go over to ensure I can set each piece *properly* back into place?

dajonesta

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »

yo hotknife try to loosen that screw a little bit and then try to push in the gears by hand. that might help. try this site it helped me. realign bluray drive

This post has been edited by dajonesta: Nov 1 2008, 08:30 PM

hearse

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(me262 @ Aug 16 2008, 10:00 PM)  

In order to verify functionality I ran the thing without the lid. Putting the disc on the drive and putting the magnet over it.
My drive doesn't have an optical sensor at the top, so I don't know how to bypass it (maybe a white Lego taped to it?)
Be very careful with these steps, this has your laser assembly exposed!
Steps:
  1. Pop out the loading gears in the front.
  2. Take out the loading motor (unscrew the two screw that hold it down, but don't remove it completely).
  3. Slide the left bar toward the front of the drive, and put back in the loading motor, locking the bar in place (be sure to screw the motor back in too).
  4. Take a disc (preferably an audio CD that you have no particular attachment to (for me this was a nicked up Dave Matthews Band CD)), slide it through the loading gears so it's held securely in there by the back two gears.
  5. Put the loading gears back on, while pushing the disc over the motor (it should be able to set in there nicely), and put the magnet over the disc. Be careful of the pilar that rose up when you slid the left bar into place.
  6. Slide the right bar all the way to the back, and hold it in place (for my 8+ hour laser test I used a piece of tape, but for a quick test you should be able to just hold it with your finger).
  7. Make sure those loading gears are not touching the disc, they should be out a little ways further.
  8. Turn on the console. It should spin up and ID the disc.
  9. From this point you can swap discs just by turning off the console, taking off the magnet, swap in a new disc, and re-power the console.

I know this is an old post, I'm have the same issue, Its a 80gb PS3 with a newer 410A laser deck. I can't get it to spin the disc at all. I have tried all of the above and it won't spin still. I have the top cover off, all the loading gears pulled back, and the tray will ingage up and down without a problem, just won't spin the disc. Any suggestions? ( I also put a known good laser and laser deck in to see if that was the problem )

chaosblack

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »

I also Have this problem sorry for revving an old thread. I have kes 410A

This post has been edited by chaosblack: May 26 2009, 02:36 AM

mpatton

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »

Similar problem here with a 40GB with KES-400A.  PS3 froze up, got error 80010514 whenever I tried to run any games.  DVDs worked for about a week, but now nothing works at all.

I opened it up so I could see what's going on.  For the most part everything seems to work; the disk loads in the drive, the laser jumps and appears to be shining (faint blue light, I could grab a video if it would help).  However the disk never spins at all.

Would this be a problem caused by the laser not working properly, or is there something else that would prevent the disk from spinning up?  Appreciate any advice you might have.

jspector

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »

This thread has the only pictures I can find of my drive. I do not have the sensor in the lid.  I can get it to spin and read or eject but not both. How the hell do you get it all in sync. The link above is for the wrong drive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3