xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can The Blu Ray Drive Be Swaped Without Flash?  (Read 301 times)

Metal_Mania666

• Archived User
Can The Blu Ray Drive Be Swaped Without Flash?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(budmanv24 @ Jan 23 2008, 11:24 PM) *

Can the laser assembly or the entire sub-assembly with laser, motor, and rails be swapped without incurring issues?  I have a 40gb that quit reading discs and don't have a receipt for warranty repair.

Yes, the laser, and in fact the entire drive can be swapped, but the control board is paired with the mainboard, so cannot be changed without flashing the key. I have personally changed over 100 of these with no issues so far, but make sure to get the same version of drive (old single lens laser or new twin lens) as the boards are not compatible

blahdah

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »

I have swaped 3 blue ray laser neevr had a problem not 2 sure if the controller board is locked tho

quirmche

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »

Is there a good tutorial on teardown and rebuild for blue ray drive?

jetlip

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »

I have a PS3 fat that I bought off craigslist and the blu ray drive is not in the system so I got ripped off what I was wondering can I buy a replacement drive off ebay?

mechgamer123

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »

so if I bought a 60gb original ps3 with no blu ray drive could I buy a drive off ebay (from either a 20gb or 60gb "launch" model), and it would work fine?

MorboTron

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(mechgamer123 @ Dec 31 2010, 06:20 PM) View Post

so if I bought a 60gb original ps3 with no blu ray drive could I buy a drive off ebay (from either a 20gb or 60gb "launch" model), and it would work fine?

Not unless that system comes with the driver board from the original drive.  The encryption key that matches the motherboard key is stored on a small BGA chip.  

I am unaware of any way to pull that key from the motherboard, but admittedly I have not kept on on the PS3 tech for the older consoles.  That being said, I have been told it is possible to remove the original chip from a driver board, and replace it on to a new Driver board (Must match revision number of the original board).

Pages: 1 [2]