xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Questions About The Ps3  (Read 310 times)

Chancer

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »

A lot of things you read will have a biased slant on them depending on the site it came from.
Loading games is not slow. Many games have the option to load the data to the HDD so once done the loading times are quicker. i don't notice differences between any of my consoles, so if their is a difference it must be very small.
Blu-Ray movie playback is superb via HDMI. Again I see no difference between it and the HD-DVD playback (which is also superb on the machines I have seen).
Blu-Ray is miles better quality wise than upscaled DVD playback.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Nov 9 2007, 05:59 PM

mlmadmax

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 9 2007, 08:58 AM) View Post

A lot of things you read will have a biased slant on them depending on the site it came from.
Loading games is not slow. Many games have the option to load the data to the HDD so once done the loading times are quicker. i don't notice differences between any of my consoles, so if their is a difference it must be very small.
Blu-Ray movie playback is superb via HDMI. Again I see no difference between it and the HD-DVD playback (which is also superb on the machines I have seen).
Blu-Ray is miles better quality wise than upscaled DVD playback.

I agree with everything you said in the quote above but I would like to add a few things.

On many games it is a necessity to load data onto the hard drive before you play the game, I have had this process take up to five minutes. After that is said and done the load times are on par with the 360 with the 360 having a very slight advantage that I could tell.

Another thing that takes a while is updating the firmware on the PS3; it is actually a pain in the ass compared to my 360 and takes several minutes instead of what seems like seconds on the 360.

These are both minor things but I find them annoying and I thought someone else might as well.

Chancer

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »

Another thing that takes a while is updating the firmware on the PS3; it is actually a pain in the ass compared to my 360 and takes several minutes instead of what seems like seconds on the 360

Yes it takes ages sometimes. perhaps they could add incremental updates, as I think when you update it is also including any missed updates, even if you already have them.

Calab

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Jun 24 2007, 05:12 AM) View Post

Why not use a USB wall charger?

Won't work... Controllers must be plugged into your PS3 (or a PC I'm told). You can't just plug them into any powered USB port. I know... I tried.
sad.gif

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Nov 10 2007, 08:00 AM) View Post

On many games it is a necessity to load data onto the hard drive before you play the game, I have had this process take up to five minutes. After that is said and done the load times are on par with the 360 with the 360 having a very slight advantage that I could tell.

Another thing that takes a while is updating the firmware on the PS3; it is actually a pain in the ass compared to my 360 and takes several minutes instead of what seems like seconds on the 360.

These are both minor things but I find them annoying and I thought someone else might as well.

Yes. I rented Ratchet & Clank and it took forever to load. My friend came over and I was bitching about the load times, and before I finished my first sentence, it was ready to play. I've got a 120GB hdd, so I've got plenty of room to play with for now. Would be nice to have the option to choose whether or not to install a game, though. Once a game is installed, however, loading times are seamless.

QUOTE(Calab @ Dec 26 2007, 06:40 PM) View Post

Won't work... Controllers must be plugged into your PS3 (or a PC I'm told). You can't just plug them into any powered USB port. I know... I tried.
sad.gif

Any USB 2.0 port should work. It simply needs the voltage in order to charge. Plug it into your 360 overnight.

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 11 2007, 10:53 AM) View Post

Yes it takes ages sometimes. perhaps they could add incremental updates, as I think when you update it is also including any missed updates, even if you already have them.

Are they large? I downloaded the Uncharted demo in a short amount of time, but I assumed the connection to the server which contained the system update was slow.
Pages: 1 [2]