xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3rd Party Ps3 Controllers Solder Points  (Read 156 times)

Giga_Death

• Archived User
3rd Party Ps3 Controllers Solder Points
« on: February 03, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(RDC)
I'll just go on record now and say it, the way the Sony controllers are made are NOT hacker friendly at all, haven't been since the PS2 DualShock came out and it's even worse now and doesn't seem to be getting any better.
I've been looking on 3rd party controllers to hack and found some cheap ones for about $20 on ebay. These cheap controllers i've seen have no tilt function and are wired which explains the price.

I don't mind so much the lack of common lines, but I was wondering if i'll have to solder to miniscule points as I see on some pics of six-axis mods, or if anyone knows if 3rd party controllers have easier/large solder points.

It's just to stick the pcb into an arcade stick case. Which is why i'm just concerned about the soldering.

Also I cannot confirm if 3rd party controllers have a "home" button. I heard many don't.

Darksakul

• Archived User
3rd Party Ps3 Controllers Solder Points
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

Cheap 3rd party controllers are always more easier to hack than Sony products.
As for which 3rd party controller to choose, that depends on you.

Problem with 3rd party controllers are they vary with each brand and model.
So if you are going to solder onto a 3rd party controller PCB, use a multimeter to follow each trace.

The controller button contact points (where that rubber cover have each contact touch the PCB) are good points to solder to if your gutting the controller for the pcb and not using the controller housing again.

I do know there is a halfway decent USB PS3 controller at Gamestop, No six axis or Dual shock.
But the controller does have a Home button.

Also almost all game controllers have a common neutral or ground line, making wiring up a arcade controller alot easier.