xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: PS360 Controller  (Read 2068 times)

SuDDeN

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »

Awesome - looking forward to this one!  
I rarely play my PS3 simply becuase the controllers SUK so bad.

Good Luck and if anyone can pull this off..... its you.

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »

Alright, the Sticks are all wired up, as are the L2/R2 buttons (Triggers) and the PnC connector.

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360011.jpg)

The shell right now is just bits and pieces from others until I get everything all sorted and see what needs to be cut and shaved where to fit everything, then I'll probably stuff it in a nice new black shell once that's all done. The LEDs are the actual Red ones form the DS3 controller, just look kinda orange in the pic.

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360012.jpg)

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360014.jpg)

The battery has been removed from it's casing so it fits in the battery holder. Then a AA battery pack has been cut up to allow it to still be removed when the battery needs replaced or to change the pack completely to something that fits a little better and maybe with more mAh, but for now the stock battery is fine.

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360015.jpg)

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360018.jpg)

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360016.jpg)

All that's really left to do now are the buttons with the PS3 ones and something for the Guide/PS button, then tweak the Sticks some since they sit a tad low and that messes up the range they have. Then maybe mount the battery connector inside the bottom of the controller shell, but those are all finishing touches that I'll eventually get around to instead of harping on them now. Right now it's 100% functional and makes playing RFoM actually feel like a real FPS, even though it still looks like dung. After committing this heresy (to both controllers) I'm gonna see about stuffing a 360's Wired CL controller board into a DS3 shell now, to redeem myself in a sort of bass ackwards kinda way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

EDIT: The 3PS60 controller (Wired 360 controller in a PS3 shell) can be seen HERE if ya want to check it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by RDC: Jul 19 2008, 07:20 PM

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

Alrighty, here are the A,B,X,Y buttons just about done, now aptly named the Cross, Circle, Square and Triangle. A little bit of glue and some light sanding and they're a done deal. Don't really even need to glue them as at least 1 tab is left on each of the original PS3 buttons, so they stay in place just fine as they are now. I made the grooves in the 360 shell deeper to let them sit in to the depth they needed to (most of them lined up pretty good with the exception of Square) as well as lightly sanded out the inside of the shell where the button rides because the ones from the PS3 are slightly larger at the base than the 360 buttons are and will wedge themselves in there if ya don't.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Still not sure what I'll do with the Guide/PS button just yet, even though it doesn't go half bad with the PS3 buttons. Ignore the headset connector in the below pic, I just have another board in there as a 'place holder' to keep the buttons and sticks in there for the picture, can't be using the actual PS360 board for such things as that's really unwanted wear and tear on the thing. wink.gif

IPB Image

tense_lion

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »

wow dude that looks amazing. ive always wanted to do vice versa for my 360 (being a sony fan before grabbing the 360) cant wait to see the finishing touches and the ds3 shell conversion too.

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(tense_lion @ Jun 6 2008, 12:21 AM) View Post

wow dude that looks amazing. ive always wanted to do vice versa for my 360 (being a sony fan before grabbing the 360) cant wait to see the finishing touches and the ds3 shell conversion too.

Thanks. I think about all I'll do on this one though is stuff it in a nice new black shell and call it done. I'll never get the Guide/PS button done to my satisfaction, same with the DS3 shell I think, probably leave it the PS button so the only real distinguishable things are the face buttons, though a small 360 Guide and large PS logo set would look pretty nice. wink.gif

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »

Very nice work. It's unfortunate that you left the worst thing about the 360 controller (in my opinion anyway) -- its D-pad. Other than that and the PS button, it looks quite authentically PlayStation (disregarding the word "back" instead of "select").

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kamasutra318 @ Jun 6 2008, 06:51 PM) View Post

Very nice work. It's unfortunate that you left the worst thing about the 360 controller (in my opinion anyway) -- its D-pad. Other than that and the PS button, it looks quite authentically PlayStation (disregarding the word "back" instead of "select").

Yep it is a retched D-pad, but this is after all a PS3 controller in a 360 shell and not a PS3 controller in a 360 shell plus the D-pad swapped over. wink.gif Plus it wouldn't matter if just the physical part of the D-pad were swapped or not, that's not where the problem with that thing is at.

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 04:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(RDC @ Jun 7 2008, 04:32 AM) *
Yep it is a retched D-pad, but this is after all a PS3 controller in a 360 shell and not a PS3 controller in a 360 shell plus the D-pad swapped over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Plus it wouldn't matter if just the physical part of the D-pad were swapped or not, that's not where the problem with that thing is at.
I guess this may be a bit off topic, but could you please elaborate on where problem is then?

Chancer

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »

Top work on this once again. I may have to build one.

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kamasutra318 @ Jun 7 2008, 06:09 AM) View Post

I guess this may be a bit off topic, but could you please elaborate on where problem is then?

Have a look HERE, just posted some info on it and in the correct forum to boot. wink.gif

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 7 2008, 07:46 AM) View Post

Top work on this once again. I may have to build one.

Thanks. If ya do build one, try and make yourself sacrifice one of the CL version Wired boards, it's sooooo much easier when it comes to rewiring the thing and I'm working on diagrams for that part as well.

You can really do it with any version of the 360 board though, just have a mess to rebuild is all. With the older Matrix style wireless ya get the added benefit of there being a ton of them that are dead and easy to pick up for practically nothing, plus it has the Sync button and PnC connector already there, so no gluing them in place, but the rebuild on it's a witch and a half. Also ya wouldn't want to use one of the CG version boards as it's all Common Ground, you'd spend all day isolating the button sets to conform to that 3 common line thing Sony uses.

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »

Little bit of an update...

I have the new shell this sucker is going in and just need to address some final issues and this one will be a done deal.

One issue is the height of the sticks, even though these newer version POTs that Sony uses are the exact same height as the 360 ones, for some reason it's a tad on the short side when it's all together. That leads to the problem of just barely being able to press in on the Stick button if ya have the stick at it's outer most edge because the bottom of the sticks top part wants to hit the shell. To raise the stick height some I could have lifted the POT slightly off the board, but I opted to increase the shaft length for several reasons, 1 There was no way in nutz I was pulling them off the board after getting this far in the process, just too much work there, 2 It forced me to come up with something else, which is part of the fun in it for me, 3  Because it also increases the sensitivity of the stick slightly since it's a little taller, 4 It eliminated that 'play' that ya might notice if ya just barely move the sticks and 5 Because who wouldn't want that?

The spacer is just the tip of another 360 analog stick while the metal pin there is actually a shaft from a 360 Rumble motor. The PS3 stick had to be drilled a little bit to make it fit properly, as did the Thumb Stick caps of the 360, but it's a pretty solid setup now. (NOTE: If the spacer is too thick you'll just end up hitting the 'skirt' on the stick cap on the inside of the shell and it's going to rub or not move at all)

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360031.jpg)

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360032.jpg)

All that's really left to do is put the Stick caps on a Lathe and turn them down some to get the full 'throw' (range the stick moves from center to outside edge) back. If that's not done when ya have the stick moved to it's outside edge ya may notice in some games it's moving slower than it used to or like ya don't have the stick pushed all the way in that direction when mechanically ya really do. When these sticks are in the PS3 shell they have a little more room to move around, in here they're slightly cramped up and don't quite have the full range of motion. The PS3 stick caps I had in there before I sort of wanted to keep, but I had to end up using them on the 3PS360 stick because the 360 ones and that shell just don't get along, with this shell I could go either way, but in keeping it as opposite as possible from the 3PS60 I've just decided to go with the 360 caps.

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS360/PS360033.jpg)

Another thing that could be done in this case is to sand or Dremel out the inside edge of the shell where the Stick hits, that will also increase the throw the stick has and is a lot easier to do, ya end up with the same result either way.

napsterking

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

how much would it cost if you were to make one for me?

I have no modding skills

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »

A good bit, as it's a fair amount of work. PM me if you're interested in having one done.

RDC

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »

This is about the end of the road for this thing here. I filled in the gaping headset hole and just painted over the whole piece in flat black to match the controller a little more. I'm no painter, but it's alright for now. One day I may revisit this and do something about the Guide button, but form follows function in my book and right now this ting works like a PS3 controller (minus the pressure sensitive buttons) so she's a done deal for now, hope everyone that's had a look enjoyed it. wink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

A:I

• Archived User
PS360 Controller
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »

wow, looks amazing. Great work./
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7