xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Purchasing A New Case  (Read 397 times)

gaming fanboy

• Archived User
Purchasing A New Case
« on: March 08, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »

i looked and looked for a case for my naked ps3, since it dropped and shattered plastic, but i couldnt find a aftermarket case anywhere! sad.gif

i dont think they make them yet since the ps3 isnt as popular as wii and xbox 360

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Purchasing A New Case
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »

Mine has some scratches too, but I'm more interested in finding a way to re-finish it, as I'm terrified of breaking my PS3 warranty (360, no fear tongue.gif)

StrangerHacks

• Archived User
Purchasing A New Case
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »

to re-finish your case you gotta bust out the wet/dry sand paper and sand it, you should start off with 800 to 1000 grit depending on the scratches, and then move on to 1500 then 2000 and all of which using water all over it while you do it, dont wet sand without water or you will just screw it all up, then using a polishing cloth or one of those no fiber cloths use rubbing compound and rub it all over the ps3 where you wet sanded after the 2000 grit and drying it off, then once you wash that off with a damp cloth, move on to polishing compound as many times as you want till you have the shine you want, if you want a REALLY good shine you can also use fine scratch remover paste, its called scratch x or scratch doctor cream, all of these compounds and pastes can be found in the automotive care section of lots of places, if you can go with 3M rather then turtle wax just because the 3M stuff is ment for anything not just cars so it works better and its not a thick, once you have the fine scratch remover wiped off and you have a nice shine leave it for about a week for everything to cure properly (you can play the ps3 during this time) then buy some car was and was the ps3 and it will also protect it a bit too.

if you want to take this mod to the next step, you can also apply 1 or 2 coats of clear coat from a spray can on the wet sanded area after you finish with the fine scratch remover, then do the whole wet sanding , compounds, scratch remover, and wax AGAIN over top of the clear coat because then it will stil have that mirror finish but you will also have a protective coating from the clear coat to protect agenst future scratches and scuffs.

and the cheapest place for a new ps3 case is go on ebay, and look for broken ps3's because then you will get a bunch of extra parts in case your ps3 breaks and they are like $70 to $150 is a reasonable price too so thats not even that bad since a replacement case for a 360 is like 60$ after shipping. OR you could search for a ps3 replacement case or ps3 shell or something along those lines to find just the case

good luck on the hunt, if you do find a good site for ps3 parts post a link cause im looking for some stuff for my ps3 smile.gif

Darksakul

• Archived User
Purchasing A New Case
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »

Here you guys go. Only one I can find.

A online store that offers PS3 Housing Shells.
But all they offer is White and Chrome

http://secure.llamma...php/cPath/98_99

The site sells mostly 360 parts, but they have just those 2 shells for the PS3.

I guess if you do not like the White or Chrome case, you could always have the White case painted a different color.
I strongly doubt the chrome case is suitable for any paint. LOL.