xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Replacing The Fans In My 40gig Ps3  (Read 424 times)

dr_fredrik

• Archived User
Replacing The Fans In My 40gig Ps3
« on: December 30, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »

Anyone who know a quite fan i can relace in my ps3

My faan is to loud!

Thanks

lost4468

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »

If you stand it on its side then it won’t be as noisy because it gets more air (before 360 ppl start saying “Oh nose don’ts” it does on ps3 because it doesn’t have a airway on bottom like 360 does) but if you replace it it might overheat and die.  Also unlike 360 it doesn’t do it all the time it only does it when it gets to a certain temp until it gets down to another temp but while its in this heat reduction mode its noisier than 360 but 360 is loud all the time.

pablot

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:49:00 AM »

its a non-standard fan, so you won't be able to buy it in the shops. Either buy it of someone that has a broken PS3, or simply send it back to Sony and complain that it is too loud. Because most people say their PS3 fan is silent.

TheButler208

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(lost4468 @ Jan 1 2008, 07:16 PM) *

If you stand it on its side then it won’t be as noisy because it gets more air (before 360 ppl start saying “Oh nose don’ts” it does on ps3 because it doesn’t have a airway on bottom like 360 does) but if you replace it it might overheat and die.  Also unlike 360 it doesn’t do it all the time it only does it when it gets to a certain temp until it gets down to another temp but while its in this heat reduction mode its noisier than 360 but 360 is loud all the time.

as far as the xbox goes, standing it on its end didn't make any sense.  There are 2 vents where air can get drawn in on the 360, the grey mesh sides.  Now, if you stand it on its end you are for sure blocking a whole side of vent from getting slightly good airflow.  Thats all the logic there is to cooling the 360.  Standing it in the air like a flag doesn't do anything because plastic has little or no thermal conductivity, and doesn't dissapate heat.  Its called an insulator for a reason.    

"oh nose don'ts"

kngcrntrd

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

Try doing a fan test.  It only works on the 40g version.  Here's what you do: Turn the PS3 off.  Turn the power switch on the back to "Off".  Hold the eject button while turning the power switch on the back to "On".  The fan will spin at maximum speed for 30 seconds or so, then the red light on the front of the PS3 will blink.  Turn the power switch off and then back on.  Enjoy a *possibly* quieter fan.  At least it gets some of the dust off.  Don't do it too often, or you could possibly burn up the fan.  Later.

andi_06

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »

hey mate, I also had this problem after purchasing a 40 gig ps3. I can assure you its a defect, and you should take it back for a another one.

I did, and my new 40gig is silent, how they should be.

dcc0011

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »

I put a new fan in mine and love it! $50 off ebay. The bracket the fan is sucured by is very flimsey. Order one with heat sink, take fan off heat sink, and mount it to yours.

sask3m

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(dcc0011 @ Sep 12 2008, 05:24 PM) View Post

I put a new fan in mine and love it! $50 off ebay. The bracket the fan is sucured by is very flimsey. Order one with heat sink, take fan off heat sink, and mount it to yours.

hi, so replacing the fan in your ps3 made it quiet? i have the 40gb model and its quite noisy, was the new fan you installed different than the old one, did it have more blades (19 vs 15) than the old one, thanks.

Darksakul

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

Only manufacture that made an aftermarket PS3 cooling fan is Talismoon

You could also try to install 2 or 3 more fans for air intake/ out take