xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Sixaxis Led Swap  (Read 1263 times)

Frozenflame5050

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »

ehh well i was just cruisen around the web lookin for somthing to do and found this and im really intrested in it and i looked it over and maybe im just an idiot that cant read but i cant seem to figure out how you guys did the 4 leds at the top...did you just put them right on top of the old ones and gave tem power?ill re read everything again but i you know its always nice to lend a hand...(god i hate being the guy who sounds like a snot nosed newbie....)

gr8hifi

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »

The people that did the top LED's actually swapped the old ones with new.  These are more difficult as they are surface mount soldered and they are very very tiny.  on top of that, you have to find a source to purchase new one from which is not always easy (some places require orders of 25+)... the P/S light can be done in several different ways.  Some people soldered a surface mount led to the spot using jumper wires for the power, some people used small 3mm LED's and some people were able to stuff a regular old 5mm LED into the P/S spot...  Good luck with whichever you do.. .its a nice mod, one that should have been stock.

topdoggb

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »

If you are using a surface mount led for the PS button (the size used for the controller number indicators) then you can make things simpler by soldering the led where it was intended to go (LED5) and then connecting the end of the blue trace to any of the holes circled in red on the circuit board with a very short wire.  This is possible because of the fact that the missing resistor breaks the circuit, so you can complete it by grounding the end.  FYI, every one of the small holes that don't connect traces on the board are ground.  They are there to connect the top layer ground plane to the bottom layer ground plane.

Just shove each end of a small enough wire through the holes and solder it from the back, then cut off the excess.  This will also make it much sturdier since everything will be soldered down.

IPB Image

dioioib

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(topdoggb @ Mar 9 2007, 12:01 AM) View Post

If you are using a surface mount led for the PS button (the size used for the controller number indicators) then you can make things simpler by soldering the led where it was intended to go (LED5) and then connecting the end of the blue trace to any of the holes circled in red on the circuit board with a very short wire.  This is possible because of the fact that the missing resistor breaks the circuit, so you can complete it by grounding the end.  FYI, every one of the small holes that don't connect traces on the board are ground.  They are there to connect the top layer ground plane to the bottom layer ground plane.

Just shove each end of a small enough wire through the holes and solder it from the back, then cut off the excess.  This will also make it much sturdier since everything will be soldered down.

IPB Image

Just hoping someone might have a solution I am having problems with LED 3. The bottom contact does not seem to be making a connection. So LED 3 has no power everything else works fine though. Is there any way I can bypass this contact and use another solder point on the board to get it working?

topdoggb

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »

First make sure you have the led facing the right direction.  If you have it right and it still doesn't work, then you can solder the top end of the led to any of the holes circled in red.  And then solder the bottom end to any of the holes circled in black.

IPB Image

topdoggb

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »

Also, hot glue is not conductive, so you can secure your leds with hot glue instead of tape or whatever if you are using wires

MattZani

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Jan 19 2007, 06:16 AM) View Post

I just did this mod to two PS3 controllers for Mattyv, i think they turned out pretty good:

IPB Image

Hi, what LED's do i need to get the same glow in the above's PS Button? it looks just right to me!

i'd like to add a red PS button to one, and go completely Blue with the other, what parts would i need so i could just unsolde the existing controller# LED's and replace?  If possible i want it to look as clean as possible, and i know that i have to add wires to the PS Button LED, but can i use the same LED as the controller # LED's? to give a dim glow. im reasonably skilled with a soldering iron, but don't have £35 to throw away, so i want to get this right first time!

i know how to do the PS button, but can someone post a quick Tut on how to do the controller # LED's? with some quick pics?

Thanks!

Matt

PS3Center.net Member, Home of the White,Silver and Red PS3's!

argen_213

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(FmanFORPS3 @ Jan 4 2007, 10:22 PM) View Post

Just to double check, all you have to do is solder two wires, and an LED (the blue wires in the picture...) correct? and did you solder the (left) blue wire to the port across the red wire (the center of the controller)

IPB Image

Also, how do I go about changing the four red LEDs (that tell you the controller port). So I just break them off and solder blue ones (that are also 2.8v)?
And my last question, does the center LED turn off when the controller is off? or does it continuously drain the battery? (I've heard from a different modder that his first attempt drained the battery even when its off...)

BTW great work guys...you make it seem so...easy!

what is the exact type of led is this

argen_213

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(FmanFORPS3 @ Jan 5 2007, 01:45 PM) View Post

to anyone who is still confused (as was I), you pretty much have to just follow the picture.  Solder one blue wire from the '5' hole to the LED, and one wire from the LED to the center of the board (the leg where the red LED plugs in).  Thats it!

IPB Image
(yeah, I used paint wink.gif)

BTW, I know I'm repeating all of this, but I'm sure some people will still be confused..

what kind of led is this

grim_d

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(argen_213 @ Apr 26 2007, 02:11 AM) View Post

what kind of led is this

smd 0603

l0tics

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »

topdoggb

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »

yep

wizz87

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

what is the sizee of the led i need and where can i get them from thanks

l0tics

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »

IPB Image
IPB Image

First controller went fine,  smile.gif  but the second one I tried was horrible. I ripped most of the solder pads off while removing the old leds... now it has no lights  sad.gif

l0tics

• Archived User
Sixaxis Led Swap
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »

Well, the third controller went fine. The reason I screwed up on the second one was because my internet was down (crap wireless ISP) and I couldn't access llamma.com to see how they did it. And since I had success the first time, I tried again anyway. Bathing the original leds in solder and pushing them aside is MUCH easier and better than what I was doing.
(IMG:http://glitches.planettonyhawk.gamespy.com/ftw/360led3.jpg)
(IMG:http://glitches.planettonyhawk.gamespy.com/ftw/360led4.jpg)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8