xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Eeprom Chip  (Read 139 times)

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Xbox Eeprom Chip
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »

I have been toodling around on the internet looking for info on playstation 1 modchips (pics, chip type, etc) and I have noticed that pretty much all PS1 modchips were 8 pin eeproms. Some write once. Some re-writeable. My question is.

Has anyone thought of taking the hex dump file from a PS1 modchip and flashing it to an xbox eeprom chip to turn it into a PS1 modchip?

Is this possible?  huh.gif

I have more than a few eeprom chips already de-soldered and I have the hex dumps for a few different PS1 modchips, I just need some insight.

PS - I've been up way too long and have had alot of rockstar so forgive me if this is impossible.  laugh.gif

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
Xbox Eeprom Chip
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »

X-Box EEPROMs are certainly re-writable. In fact, you can use the EEPROM reader guide linked in my signature to put pretty much whatever data you want in them (the PonyProg program has a "write" button right next to the "read" one).

They only hold 256 bytes though. Dunno anything about PS1 modchips, I can only assume they're the same size.

I gather many PC RAM chips also have identical EEPROMs attached to them, dunno if they're writable or not.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Xbox Eeprom Chip
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »

Yea, I've used my reader a good few times to read but I never tried a write with it. I'll have to look to see what size the hex dumps are and then get a little more info on pinouts for the xbox eeprom and the PS1 modchips.

Anyone who knows me will attest that if I can build it at home, I sure as hell won't buy it. lol

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
Xbox Eeprom Chip
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »

Did you have any luck with this?

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Xbox Eeprom Chip
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »

I am guessing that my idea will not work.

I have compared the pinouts for the xbox eeprom and the PS1 modchip (PIC12F508) and they are totally different.

Additionally, the chip used in PS1 modchips is only 8 bit so that would mean we would have to take the PS1 modchip dump (assuming it is a full 8 bits) and multiply it 256 times (according to the xbox eeprom datasheet, the eeprom allows 256 sentences of 8 bits each) to fill an xbox eeprom and then figure out how to hook it up.

Pinout for the PIC12F508/9

dakota76

• Archived User
Xbox Eeprom Chip
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »

xboxmods2977
Did you have any luck finding the diagrams to install the ps1 modchip
Also did you find any hex dumps for the chip
Just curious cause i got a ps1 and a few of the PIC12F508
Id like to mod my ps1

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Xbox Eeprom Chip
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »

Yes, Use google. I was able to find the instalation diagrams for the PIC12F508 but as far as the hex dumps, I would have to check my back-up drives to see if I still have them.

EDIT: Found the HEX dumps so yea, I do have them.