xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hardware Scaler Exists(?)  (Read 348 times)

epsilon72

• Archived User
Hardware Scaler Exists(?)
« on: January 26, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »

clicky

Apparently the newest SDK update for the PS3 includes some limited support for a hardware scaler.  I guess there really is one, then.

I remember coming across a forum post about a month ago by an alleged "sony insider" (Darknight) on avsforum.com that mentioned the existence of a hardware scaler.  Looks like he was right.

It looks like all is not lost for those with the old CRT's.  Hopefully the scaler will be able to be fully utilized soon.

EDIT:

From what the insider "Darknight" is saying, it looks like there's some inconsistencies with the article - apparently the devs have had access to the scaler all along.  Why the secrecy?

EDIT #2: This is very interesting as well - WHY is sony restricting devs from using the scaler???

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Jan 26 2007, 10:46 PM

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »

There is no hardware scaler in the PS3, it is just people talking out of there asses, check out this thread

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=582084

It makes no financial sense to pay for the R&D and hardware and than not use it. Anyway i already made somments in that topic and i could be wrong, but i will see it when i believe it.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »

Yeah, I see that now, Twisted explained it really well.  It's still a hardware scaler, but that piece of hardware is the RSX.

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Jan 27 2007, 02:35 AM

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Jan 26 2007, 05:24 PM) View Post

Yeah, I see that now, Twisted explained it really well.  It's still a hardware scaler, but that piece of hardware is the RSX.

Yep and if they use the rsx it will kill the framerate and quality of graphics because it will kind of be emulating a real hardware scaler thru software and that is not the right way to go IMO.

Who knows though they may find someone that codes like a god, one can always hope biggrin.gif