xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Divx/xvid/mpeg4 Playback On Ps3  (Read 368 times)

tmgcomp

• Archived User
Divx/xvid/mpeg4 Playback On Ps3
« on: December 30, 2006, 05:13:00 AM »

I have been reading that you can play divx on PS3. I tried a general dvd loaded with several divx movies and it said there was no files found. Am I doing something wrong.

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(tmgcomp @ Dec 30 2006, 01:20 PM) View Post

I have been reading that you can play divx on PS3. I tried a general dvd loaded with several divx movies and it said there was no files found. Am I doing something wrong.

You need to load on linux OS and use linux to play your divx media.

Elusid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

umm well not really... What I found out from testing a bunch with a SD card is that you need to have the media in the right folder to make it read. For instance, you need to have the following folders for the kinds of media you want to view

videos-video
music-audio
pictures-(still not sure)

So on the disc you would make a folder called "video" then inside that I would recommend putting a folder called "movies" or something (doesn't matter in this case) because when you go to copy the videos on the PS3 you can just copy the whole folder at once, if you didn't do this you would need to copy each individual file at a time. Hope this helps you.

This post has been edited by Elusid: Jan 10 2007, 07:05 AM

Elusid

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

woops correction

videos-video
music-music
photos-photo

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »

if you have a file with the extension .mpg or another format that the ps3 recognizes then it appears to read every file on a disc. it took me a while to figure out why some of my music video cds work and others don't, when, every cd is the exact same structure. it came down to having a file with a recognizable extension and then it read every file on the disc, even ones with extensions (*.m2v) that it wouldn't read on a disc with only *.m2v. However, it doesn't seem to like to play everything. and having that directory structure is pretty inconvenient for the thousands of discs i already have. i don't see why they have it setup as they do. either read the damn files or don't, it's so half-assed.

i love my ps3, it does "everything i want it to!"

rawdog805

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »

ok so I still dont understand how I get it to play my DIVX files with avi or mkv extensions??

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elusid @ Jan 10 2007, 09:47 PM) View Post

woops correction
videos-video
music-music
photos-photo

You don't have to follow that for everything on the PS3 you can simply hit triangle and choose show all files and it will list all the folders and recognized files.

Rawdog- As far as I know the only way to do DIVX, XVID, AVI, or MKV is to load up Linux and play them through there, You could also try the Red Kawa servers and try to stream it from your PC to PS3. I haven't tried it but I understand it as Red Kawa transcodes the movie into FLV that the PS3 browser plays in a similar fashion to YouTube videos.

bigphill911

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

ludacrisvp the only way to do it is with linux.

Great2bfree

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »

Great. which program under linux can u use 2play and also can linux access the video/musi/picture folders from ps3 os.

Great2bfree

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

so after reading I see i can use VLC... My only question now is since I have yellowdog linux running on the ps3 which VLC compile should i use.

This post has been edited by Great2bfree: Mar 30 2007, 05:04 AM

meatwadoo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(rawdog805 @ Feb 5 2007, 04:53 AM) View Post

ok so I still dont understand how I get it to play my DIVX files with avi or mkv extensions??

Here is the easy way. though a little bit lengthy. you can download ps3 video 9 for free, and its from the same guys who made psp video 9 and the ipod version. its total free ware and it is extremely good quality, plus the ps3 version lets you convert it into a 720 or 1080 format, but the file will get quite bigger than around 700mb.
this will turn it into an mpeg-4 and do what that other dude said. make 3 folders on your SD card or whatever,

MUSIC for music  VIDEO for movies and PHOTO for pictures. thats very important otherwise you wont be able to find them easily, after that save the file to the ps3 hard drive or save the whole folder doesnt matter.
ps3 video 9 is one of the best free converters you can get. and with good ram, it should take about 30 min to an hour max. I have 768mb of ram and a movie takes about an hour and a half, pending on the length of the movie.

here is the link to the ps3 video 9 - http://www.redkawa.c...ters/ps3video9/

nilo200

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(tmgcomp @ Dec 30 2006, 04:49 AM) View Post

you can play divx in your ps3 but first you need to register ps3 with your ps3 registration code which you can find in your ps3 it is in system setings/ divx code. for more information go to www.divx.com/vod/