xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ps3 Not Hd Capable Out Of The Box.  (Read 735 times)

grim_d

• Archived User
Ps3 Not Hd Capable Out Of The Box.
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 04:04:00 AM »

maplin disgusts me.

where in scotland you from mate? and why do you have an england flag as your gamer picture laugh.gif

Or you an englishman in foreign lands laugh.gif

i jus messin.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Oct 3 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

maplin disgusts me.

where in scotland you from mate? and why do you have an england flag as your gamer picture laugh.gif

Or you an englishman in foreign lands laugh.gif

i jus messin.

It's not just Maplins at it tho - go into any high street in the UK and cable prices are extortionate.

You've got USB cables at £15 a pop (1 metre!!) - it's only until you go shopping online for stuff do you realise how much this stuff should be costing. I got a set of 2m OFC component cables and a 2m TOSlink cable for just over 11GBP - compared to the price of a 1m TOSlink in the high street at 12GBP.

Hopefully, people will start to wise up and stop buying cables from the high street.....

BTW I'm in Motherwell.

And yes, I'm an Englishman biggrin.gif

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Oct 3 2006, 03:02 PM) View Post

ahh sarcasm, it's hard to get across on a forum.  I was making fun of the guy who seemed genuinely shocked at the $50 price while at the same time trying to give him a low cost alternative i.e. monoprice.

Actually, it was my fault entirely - I didn't mean to quote *your* post !

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 03:58:00 AM »

I really like the fact that sony has used standard a/v connections with their consoles.  They have a regular TOSlink jack on the back of the console, instead of on the cable (of which i hate; damn you monster for forcing me buy your TOSlink cable of which is manditory for digital out with their cables grr.gif ).  And i would imagine that their HDMI cable is standard too.  It's also very nice how they and nintendo have kept the exact same A/V port on all of their consoles, thereby not forcing us to keep buying cables for their later systems (damn money grubbers).

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »

.... execpt the Wii has a new style AV cable... and rumor has it the PS3 will as well  rolleyes.gif

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 9 2006, 01:16 PM) View Post

.... execpt the Wii has a new style AV cable... and rumor has it the PS3 will as well  rolleyes.gif

No kidding?  Well i guess my praising went down the toilet.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(NicoBech @ Oct 12 2006, 12:28 PM) View Post

well....
   It's settled then
     no composite or HDMI

it comes with composite but is missing component, I'm sure that's what you ment though right  wink.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »

Those with PS2 component cables will be happy to know that they work with the PS3.

So I guess thouse of us with PS2s running component cables wont care anyway.  smile.gif

That makes the PS3 the only next gen console that supports last gen AV cables.

It also mean that the PS3 will have horrible VGA support like the PS2 did. sad.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(kizmet @ Oct 12 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

doesnt hdmi = dvi? so vga support is there? and looks like thats only confirmed for jap ps3

Not exactly

DVI-I = DVI-D + VGA

HDMI = DVI-D + SPDIF

DVI-I carries both a digital video signal (like that of HDMI) in addition to an analog signal similar to VGA

So DVI-I is essentially carrying 2 separate video signals at once (DVI-D as well as VGA)

VGA is no present in any way shape or form in a DVI-D or HDMI cable.

So while a DVI-I port will give you both VGA and the video portion of HDMI.  HDMI nor DVI-D does not include a VGA signal.

The DVI format was made for computers so video cards could use the same port for both analog and digtial signals and save space. It's fairly confusing which is why it's not often included on TVs, and when it is included it's most often DVI-D... which is essentially HDMI but missing the audio portion.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »

You don't get it

Yes DVI-D is backwards compatable with HDMI

DVI-D does not support VGA

HDMI does not support VGA

I don't know how much more clear I could get

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Oct 12 2006, 02:36 PM) View Post

In short, HDMI =/= VGA. (obviously) sleep.gif

I am sad about the lack of VGA support, but I guess that doesn't matter too much since I'll be using HDMI anyway. smile.gif  (I'll be using ps2 component cables until my 1080p display comes back from repairs in california sad.gif )

Well the PS2 (and by extension the PS3) will suport VGA through their standard AV connector, but the problem is that due to it's design it's limited in it's capabilities. and due to the fact that it requires a "Sync on Green" compatabile monitor it will only work with particular makes and model of monotir.

"Sync on Green" isn't a real VGA signal but some monitors do support it, so for VGA stuff you'll have to either find compatability lists or just try it and find out.

This is the compatability list for the PS2, so I would suspect PS3 VGA support to be about the same:
http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php

kidkinetix

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Oct 13 2006, 04:40 AM) View Post

Don't know if this was said, but the PS3 will have one A/V multiport for Composite/S-video/Component and a seperate HDMI port so you can use a regular off the shelf HDMI cable.

Right, and I think that's what Twisted is worried about.  If the multiport is the same one they have been using for PS2 than VGA support is severely crippled.  Hopefully the multiport somehow enhanced to use last gen's cables but still support VGA properly... without a third party solution that would still require component in to convert to vga.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »

I'm not sure that you could "enhance" the PS2 AV port

The original one was designed for the PS1... VGA was a distant distant thought at that point.

Basically Component video requires 3 signals Y Pb and PR...

VGA requires 5 signals Red, Green, Blue, H-sync, and V-sync.

They don't have enough pins on the AV port for all 5 so they combine the two sync signals into a C-Sync (composite sync) then combine that with the Green line.

This condenses the 5 VGA signals down into 3 pins that they can output through what is normally used for component video.

it's not a real VGA signal and a very small fraction of monitors support this format

If they want real VGA support they would have to either
A. - redesign the connector to add more pins, which we know they haven't done or

B. - make a proprietary VGA converter with added circuitry to re-crease the separate H and V syncs - this is possible but it might be ugly, the AV port has 5V available but it might not be enough to run the circuit, in which case you'd need an external power adapter just to run VGA converter. At that point you'd probably be better off just buying a composite to VGA transcoder... it'd probably be cheaper too.

My guess is they'll just use the same crappy VGA cable that they had for the PS2 and let the poor uneducated saps find out what the depth of support is after the fact.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(kizmet @ Oct 13 2006, 04:38 PM) View Post

VGA is old technology, if your monitor has no dvi why bother playting on it?

I own two projectors that accecpt VGA but not DVI I also own about 5 CRT monitors that also have no DVI port... nor do any CRT monitors I've ever seen.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »

Isn't almost everything that is made for using as a tv substitute, projectors lcds crt tvs etc, if they have vga they ussualy have component, but yea alot of old crt monitors (ALL?) ussualy just have vga, but I wouldn't play ws content on any of those anyways (19" 4:3 should be like a 13"WS). But since Kenny did the the ps3 is more then a console its a pc thing( even though that statement was in regards that a pc is upgradeable)  they really should have given us a vga solution.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4