xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lord - Hdmi Cables  (Read 624 times)

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »

I doubt the 500 would have unused merchandise.  HD support is for all games so its 20gb would be used.  Bluray is of course the standard media drive.  There's no WiFi and only standard network input, and users can still play on 480i with analog input.  If one were to buy a 500 unit, then you'd only need a game, which would be 59.99 standard set by MS. I doubt that games would cost even more than that, they wouldn't sell if it were the case.

incognegro

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 04:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 5 2006, 03:32 AM) View Post

I doubt the 500 would have unused merchandise.  HD support is for all games so its 20gb would be used.  Bluray is of course the standard media drive.  There's no WiFi and only standard network input, and users can still play on 480i with analog input.  If one were to buy a 500 unit, then you'd only need a game, which would be 59.99 standard set by MS. I doubt that games would cost even more than that, they wouldn't sell if it were the case.

If they did they wouldn't make much profit. Before the 360 came out alot of ppl were thinking games wouldn't cost $60 either. There is no way blu ray games are gonna cost the same as DVD games. Its that simple.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 05:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 5 2006, 02:32 AM) View Post

I doubt that games would cost even more than that, they wouldn't sell if it were the case.

I'm sure the same argument was used for the console itself when compared to the 360, yet there seem to be plenty of fools willing to pay a shedload of money for it....

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 05:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Sep 5 2006, 12:03 PM) View Post

If they did they wouldn't make much profit. Before the 360 came out alot of ppl were thinking games wouldn't cost $60 either. There is no way blu ray games are gonna cost the same as DVD games. Its that simple.

No it's not that simple and propaganda and bias is leading you to believe that way.  MS set the 59.99 standard and Sony is most likely going to follow that route.  It's already been proven by Nintendo 64 that games 70+ don't profit, and THAT is simple. 60 is damn near border line, and people barely accept that!  MS made that a little easier for us since some 1st party titles are 49 and they're planning a price drop for the launch titles.  We'll see though.

jtom617

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

rock on, i plan to get the ps3 and the Wii, but keep in mind people, i definately put the foot down about more about the gui and games, forget the hardware, as long as it does what its been shown to do (which i love), then i will be very happy.  pop.gif

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(yourM0M @ Sep 5 2006, 06:39 PM) View Post

now lets wait and see if the damn thing comes with component cables....LMAO ill bet Kira it doesnt

does no one remember $ony already stating games WILL be $70-$100?? such short term memory's and im the one who smokes the chronic......

nope cant say i do. got a link?

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(yourM0M @ Sep 6 2006, 12:39 AM) View Post

now lets wait and see if the damn thing comes with component cables....LMAO ill bet Kira it doesnt
does no one remember $ony already stating games WILL be $70-$100?? such short term memory's and im the one who smokes the chronic......

Are you serious about that bet? Because I'll take it that the Premium 600 PS3 will come with component cables.  If you lose, you buy me a free Xbox 360.  If I lose, I buy you a console of your choice.

I'm suprised at the lot of you people.  Here your kind are, harping about how much PS3 games will cost, fabricating fake prices due to word of mouth (which people rely heavily around here) and can't even produce a link to your own argument that you supossedly feel so strongly that you're right.  Even WITH the link, you can't produce anything concrete enough to justify confirming a higher pricepoint.

This is where people got the idea that games could be 70 bucks
http://www.gamasutra....php?story=9901

but let me break this down to make it easier and more logical to understand.

When asked whether PlayStation 3 games would be priced in the same range as Xbox 360 titles (currently $59.99 for most high budget titles), Hirai suggested that: “Generally speaking, over the past twelve years or so, there has been a consumer expectation that disc based games are maybe $59 on the high end to $39 on the low end. So, what I can say now is, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to think that we could suddenly turn around and say ‘PS3 games now $99.99’."

1.  He said that it would be pretty farfetched (meaning highly unlikely, not probable) that the price of games would just double.  So that means you can pretty much count on games not being 100.

2. Kaz did not specifically say what price the games will be.  But he said that general consumer expectation is between 39 for low end, and 59 for high end.  He already hinted that 99 is highly unlikely, so that leaves it to 59-89.  Kaz was careful in his words because remember that Sony doesn't set the 3rd party prices, 3rd parties do. This means that it COULD be higher than 59, not that it's DEFINITE that it would be.

Hirai continued his answer by saying, “I don't think consumers expect software pricing to suddenly double. So, the quick answer is that we want to make it as affordable as possible, knowing that there is a set consumer expectation for what software has cost for the past twelve years.

1. This quote shows that Kaz is trying to tell you that they are going to do the best they can to keep it within consumer expectation, and use data from the past 12 years to set a price that follows consumer and industry trend.

That's kind of the best answer I can give you. So, if it becomes a bit higher than $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be $100.”

This is reiterating that he doesn't have control over game prices other than their own in-house productions.  But he also reassures that companies aren't going to pull a fast one on us and start releasing games for 100.

Here's ANOTHER article, that brings more understanding to the 70 dollar PP rumor for games.
http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3143306

Since I'm a heavy importer, I know FULL WELL that import games naturally cost MORE than it does in the US.  Thats because of the fluctuating currency value.  A game that costs 49.99 here in the US, cost 59.99 USD in Japan.  A 59.99 game here in the us, cost 69.99 in Japan.  Thus, 70 dollars.  But this is for JAPAN reigon and NOT for the US reigon.  You can't use JPN pricing as the same as US pricing just like how Mexico and Canada pricing don't convert *exactly* to market value in the US.  I could take 5 dollars to Asia, and spend a whole day with good food at good restaurants and still have enough money leftover in the pocket.  Here in the US, you're lucky if you can get 1 meal at a fast food place.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 06:46:00 AM »

The price of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 3 has been the subject of much debate. The system will come in $499 and $599 packages, the latter including a larger hard drive, built-in wireless network capabilities, and an HDMI port. However, according to Sony's own official PS3 Web site, the system won't come with the cables necessary to carry an HDMI signal, or any high-definition signal, for that matter.

According to the double-asterisked bit of small print on the page, "Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately. Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector."

HDMI is a video/audio interface that allows high-def content to be displayed in uncompressed form over a single cable. It also supports High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), an antipiracy measure expected to be encoded into Blu-ray discs. Those discs will also make use of Image Constraint Token (ICT) technology, which would artificially reduce the output resolution of any signal not sent over a secured connection like HDMI.

Currently, Microsoft's premium Xbox 360 comes packed with an HD component video cable, while purchasers of the Xbox 360 core system get a standard A/V cable and can pick up HD-compatible cables for $39.99. GameStop is also currently accepting preorders for a "universal" game-console HDMI cable that will cost $99.99. [UPDATE: The GameStop HDMI cable listing has since been pulled.]

That said, the premium PlayStation 3 has a standard HDMI output, meaning it can use regular HDMI cables. Those can be found for far lower prices on sites such as eBay, where a 15-foot HDMI-to-HDMI cable can go for under $10.

http://uk.gamespot.c....13&tag=nl.e513

can anyone shed some light on this?

Martinchris23

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 06:53:00 AM »

Ouch - good find KAGE.

That's pretty damning if it's true.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »

First of all... the bickering needs to stop... If this forum doesn't clean up it's act real soon I'll have to start hard moderating again... meaning in this topic alone I would have handed out 5 or 6 suspensions EASY.

I don't care if you think so and so is a fanboy, even if you're right I don't want to hear it... I don't want to hear you calling them an idiot or a moron, I don't want to hear you making masturbation jokes or homosexual suggestions about other members.

The next person to step out of line gets slapped with a suspension...

Be respectful of the other members of the site, if you can't do that add them to your ignore list or go some place else.

THAT IS ALL.

-----------------------------------------------
As for the discussion

Personally I never expected the HDMI cable to come with the console, the reason is that no console that has included a native port on the back of the console has come with cables for that port. The NES included RCA hookups with no cables, the PS2 included an optical port with no cables, the Xbox included an optical port with no cable, the gamecube included a Japanese D connector with no cable, and Xbox 360 includes an optical ports with no cable.

On the other hand, the argument that the HDMI enabled version is a fully featured premium version of the console might lead you to debate that it SHOULD include such a cable. Regardless of the prices quote in the article HDMI cables can be found at reasonable prices if you look around. Monoprice as already been mentioned and I've purchased HDMI cables (quad shielded, oxygen free, with gold connectors) for as little as $10. Just because Best Buy likes to rip people off selling them for $110 a pop doesn't mean that's how much their worth or that how much they'd cost.

The price could help the argument either way, on the one hand it's cheap so it's not that big a deal to buy one... on the other hand it's cheap so it shouldn't be that big a deal to include one....

As for Game pricing... I think Kira's break down of the pricing interview was a good one... A lot of people have blown that out of proportion and when it comes down to it all we know is that the games wont be as high as $100, which basically means we still don't know anything.

One thing Kira was incorrect on was:
"...ou'd only need a game, which would be 59.99 standard set by MS..."
"MS set the 59.99 standard and Sony is most likely going to follow that route."

MS did NOT set the standard at $60... MS set the standard at $50 and the 3rd parties decided to charge $60. Every 1st party 360 game has an MSRP at at the exact same price platform that Xbox 1 games had for an MSRP: $50 for regular editions and $60 for limited/special Editions
Kameo - Elements of Power: Released at $49.99
Perfect Dark Zero: Released at $49.99
Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition: Released at $59.99
Project Gotham Racing 3: Released at $49.99
Ninety-Nine Nights: Released at $49.99

You obviously know that the console maker doesn't have any say over what 3rd parties decide to charge... you said yourself "Sony doesn't set the 3rd party prices, 3rd parties do." The same follows true for MS and Nintendo... MS decided that $50 was still enough, and 3rd parties decided that the price should be higher. If Sony wants to follow MS's lead in game pricing they'll place their 1st party titles at $49.99

incognegro

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »

Ya I think Twisted deleted it. Cause I rememeber eveyrting that was on this page.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »

nothing gets deleted on X-S NOTHING, it's all still there, regular members just can't see it... I'd encourage you to stay on with the topic of HDMI cables as opposed to the moderating of this forum.

the lobo

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Sep 4 2006, 12:43 PM) View Post
At the moment, HD-DVD is still better quality.

Actually, that's completely wrong. There is no difference in quality of the pictures between Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the only major difference is capacity; which Blu-ray far out-weighs HD-DVD in. And do you really think that Sony would gamble their whole next-gen system on a format (Blu-ray) if they weren't 100% sure it would succeed? Besides, Sony has a production company, they have a very large presence in Hollywood. Blu-ray will win.

alsybub

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(the lobo @ Nov 24 2006, 08:12 PM) View Post

Actually, that's completely wrong. There is no difference in quality of the pictures between Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the only major difference is capacity; which Blu-ray far out-weighs HD-DVD in. And do you really think that Sony would gamble their whole next-gen system on a format (Blu-ray) if they weren't 100% sure it would succeed? Besides, Sony has a production company, they have a very large presence in Hollywood. Blu-ray will win.

Actually the previous poster may be correct. Bluray may not yet use the intended codec (vc-1) and so the image quality isn't quite what it should be, therefore it isn't quite on par with HD-DVD. As far as I know it's currently using a modified version of mp4.

the lobo

• Archived User
Lord - Hdmi Cables
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Blu-ray.com)
What video codecs will Blu-ray support?

MPEG-2 - enhanced for HD, also used for playback of DVDs and HDTV recordings.
MPEG-4 AVC - part of the MPEG-4 standard also known as H.264 (High Profile and Main Profile).
SMPTE VC-1 - standard based on Microsoft's Windows Media Video (WMV) technology.

Pruf:Here

EDIT: More added below.

QUOTE(YahooAnswers.com)

Companies that support HD-DVD:

Microsoft
Intel
Toshiba
Sanyo
NEC

Media Outlets:
HBO
New Line Cinema
Paramount Home Entertainment
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Warner Home Video

Companies that support Blu-Ray:
Dell
Hewlett-Packard
Sony
Panasonic
Philips
Samsung
Sharp
Pioneer
LG Electronics

Media Outlets:
Electronic Arts
Entertainment Companies (All but two of all movie studios will produce only in Blu-ray)(There are 9 major studios)
Twentieth Century Fox
Vivendi Universal
Walt Disney

Proof:Here
Pages: 1 [2] 3