xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xecuter PS3 HDXT (Hard Drive Xtender)  (Read 161 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Xecuter PS3 HDXT (Hard Drive Xtender)
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | 2-3-2007 10:38 EST

From Team Xecuter:

We announced the PS3 Hyperdrive project a few weeks ago and listened to a lot of criticism regarding the design. So we looked at it again.

We had to ask ourselves what was the main purpose of this product:
1. To be able to add any SATA or IDE Hard Drive externally to the PS3 - so there was no need for any expensive 2.5" Sata Hard Drive upgrades if the need for a very large hard drive was required in the near future.
2. To make the adapter a clean design and pleasing to the eye.
3. To be simple and cheap.

So we went back to the drawing board and after a couple of weeks of tweaking we have finished the design and have already gone into production of the PS3 HDXT.

It's simple, clean, cheap and it works.

The Xecuter PS3 HDXT is a caddy type frame that plugs into the PS3 internally where the 2.5" Sata drive would normally slot. You then clip on the matching faceplate and bingo you now have a clean external Sata connection. No frills and no fuss. You can now add any hard drive you wish and connect it any way you wish. We have also designed a simple but cost effective Sata to IDE convertor.

Here are some pictures - we hope to have it in stores by the time the PS3 is released in Europe. We will also announce a price as soon as our costings have been finalised.

Official Website: www.team-xecuter.com

incredipinoy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »

Wow! I wonder how much will be? Say $9.99 or lower! I have WD 400GB SATA 3.5" HDD and I don't have encloser case. I bet this will be cheaper and easier to install for my PS3 60GB! Does that mean I will have 2 HDDs running at the same time? So I'll have the total of 460GB or does it have a switch like which HDD I can use before I power up my PS3.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

This will allow for a single hard drive, not multiple drives running concurrently.

I like the design and functionality of this much more than before. it's quick an easy for getting the job done. Honestly, if they'd take it a step further and make some kind of enclosure for portability purposes, even if sat under the PS3 itself, it would be much nicer.

supergrafx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »

looks like the ps3's intestines are hanging out. I liked the old old one that "snapped" to the side of the PS3. It "looked" more secure and streamline. This looks like a mess and a hack job, very similar to what has already been done. Also, everytime one moves the ps3 and disconnects the sata, you will eventually wear out the sata connection. Not so secure or portable for that matter.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »

well at least they pay attention to criticism and changed the design, maybe they will come up with something better.

Charbless

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(incredipinoy @ Mar 2 2007, 05:41 PM) *

Wow! I wonder how much will be? Say $9.99 or lower! I have WD 400GB SATA 3.5" HDD and I don't have encloser case. I bet this will be cheaper and easier to install for my PS3 60GB! Does that mean I will have 2 HDDs running at the same time? So I'll have the total of 460GB or does it have a switch like which HDD I can use before I power up my PS3.

It's team-xecutor it will be like $40.

No you can't have 2 hard drives running at same time

Technitian3

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »

And people were complaining about the original design being ugly? This looks like the console puked!

zequal

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Technitian3 @ Mar 4 2007, 07:09 PM) View Post

And people were complaining about the original design being ugly? This looks like the console puked!

yeah, they could at least do a faceplate with the sata-connection on the back... this will just look weird and unprofessional

Elusid

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »

That's awesome =D I would totally get that if I wasn't obsessed about keeping things internal...

king360

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

Wats the point of this whan any SATA to IDE adapter will work (i carnt test it as i dont have a ps3 yet) and also u carnt use 2 HDD .

This post has been edited by king360: Mar 10 2007, 05:33 PM

Lice_01

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(king360 @ Mar 10 2007, 11:00 AM) View Post

Wats the point of this whan any SATA to IDE adapter will work (i carnt test it as i dont have a ps3 yet) and also u carnt use 2 HDD .

The point of this to easily use a 3.5" Drive (or other IDE drive). This would give a nice clean install instead of trying to stick a Sata Cable in there (by that I mean with your hands) and having the "small door" open. Also the drive is easily removable. I know one can do this themselves, this product is about convenience (like the Blaster 360)