xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ps3 Private Keys Discovered  (Read 337 times)

Ultra_Extreme

• Archived User
Ps3 Private Keys Discovered
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »

3.55 CW available with backup play

Unimatrix47

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »

So does this make use of these new keys that were discovered?  And does one still need a jailbreak usb dongle?

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ultra_Extreme @ Jan 9 2011, 09:31 PM) View Post

Sadly i think this is where the profiteers will come, any program used to sign ISO's or similar with one click would be absoloute GOLD. Think about it, you get the program start signing ISO's and selling them on. Consumers do not have the smarts to understand the difference between running a copy and a legit game, at least by and large, so the potential for profit selling to the general population is HUGE, for this reason i expect early software for signing iso's and such will be sold at a premium.

Well there are people that will find ways to release stuff for free. There are tons of people that know how to program that will release stuff to do different things for the PS3. If some one wants to sell some kind of software or hardware that will allow homebrew on the PS3 they will have to do it quick because with in a short period of time some one else will release something for free that does the same thing. Look at the PS3Jailbreak while the people that released it were in court fighting for the right to sell it others came out with a cheaper version and also ways to use stuff you already own to jailbreak the PS3 for free.

Also people DO NOT post links to sites that host the custom firmware or keys.

@Unimatrix47: Yes they are using the keys that were released not to long ago and you will not need a usb dongle in the near future. The PS3 will look at the software that is signed with those keys as if it was released by sony so they can basically its possible to install software with no type of mod to the ps3 what so ever.

spy4561

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pingu82 @ Jan 3 2011, 10:52 AM) View Post

Actually the need for a custom FW will not be needed.
Hopefully this will make us able to sign our own code, just as sony does on any retail game.

If you haven`t seen fail0verflows presentation at 27C3 I would recommend it, gave me a laugh considering how the "gods" at sony r&d generates their random numbers smile.gif

I saw the Fail0verFlow presentation and Sony did really Fail at the security system, but you Can Sign your own code now wink.gif

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »

Does anyone have any realistic insight as to when USB Jailbreaks will be obsolete?

Like if I order one today from China will there be a SIGNED Open Manager fully working without jailbreak before it arrives in my mail?

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »

probably relaxxx. one thing you may not have heard yet is that sony has served geohot and the failoverflow team with a lawsuit. not sure if it will embolden coders or scare them, but it is likely that there are teams working right now to be sure they do not release something that borks ps3's... not everyone, but a few teams are probably there already.

on another note, i own a jailbreak dongle that i do not think i need anymore and that i could sell to you faster than a shop in china. smile.gif hehe

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Jan 11 2011, 11:48 PM) View Post

Its not really a law suit its basically an order to try and stop him and some others from releasing anything else. I think Sony or MS should just give Geohot a job.

geohot posted the documents he received as pdf scans. there a couple of preliminary orders that sony submitted to the judge, but there is also a complaint filed and the document appears legitimate; even includes the dated u.s. district court stamp. several defendents are named and sony is the plaintiff.

here is what it says on the first page:
COMPLAINT FOR INJUNCTIVE RELIEF AND DAMAGES BASED ON VIOLATIONS OF DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT; VIOLATIONS OF THE COMPUTER FRAUD AND ABUSE ACT; CONTRIBUTORY COPYRIGHT INFRIN'GEMENT; VIOLATIONS OF THE CALIFORNIA COMPREHENSIVE COMPUTER DATA ACCESS AND FRAUD ACT; BREACH OF CONTRACT; TORTIOUS INTERFERENCE WITH CONTRACTUAL RELATIONS; COMMON LAW MISAPPROPRIATION; AND TRESPASS

Unimatrix47

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 01:59:00 AM »

Aren't they wasting alot of money on expensive lawyers for basically nothing?  Pandora is out of the box.  Does it really pay to burn the box?

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »

the document I had seen was basically just a restraining order. Either way I think this will be a l another waste of money for Sony. Its really gonna look good on Sony when they say that a 21yr old broke their security

Ultra_Extreme

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »

Sony are just making a token show of muscle, it will calm the shareholders of SCEA and SCEE aswell as the holdings of developers associated with SONY especially those that produce console exclusives.

The interesting part in my view is that they claim "irreversible and irrepairable damage" has been done by Hotz, means the PS3 truly is wide open now.

The only area in which they may have a case is that they hold a statement along the lines of "hey Sony, if you want your next console to be secure give me a call" [by geo hot] which could be spun as an attempt at extortion.

Pretty feeble case however that should be concluded on precedent citing the iPod/iPhone jailbreak ruling. This is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and protocol. It was inevitable and changes nothing, however sadly it does signal the end of the PS3 and possibly even the playstation brand, there will be some serious meetings at sony!

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »

I don't know if it's that bleak for Sony. The wii has been wide opened and doing fine for years now has it not? I'm sure there are strategies and new updates they can apply to minimize piracy and protect future releases. I'm sure if Xbox 360 signing keys were releases they would just update the firmware and CPU fuses to accept new signing codes leaving exploitable consoles offline like JTAG's.

flash360

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »

Imagine buying a car, and in the years after, the car makers turn up on your doorstep and say someting like "Im sorry but we gotta disconnect the air con" Then a few moths or years go by and they turn up again "We gotta disconnect the radio" eventually You end up with a car thats only as good as another basic car thats half the price  mad.gif

Some guy comes along and shows you how to reconnect your air con and your radio  smile.gif

And the car companny tries to sue them for doing so  grr.gif  muhaha.gif  grr.gif  muhaha.gif  grr.gif  muhaha.gif  grr.gif

That is why $ony is heading for another epic fail  wink.gif

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »

Hmmm... looks like Geohotz should get into contact with Bunnie - wasn't he going to testify in the case of the California console modder?

Unimatrix47

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »

nevermind...
How is GEOHOT pronounced?  Is it Gee-Hot? Gee-Eee-Ooo-Hote?

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Jan 12 2011, 07:02 PM) View Post

if they release a an update that tried to change that combination to the door (the key people have) everything that has been release for the PS3 will be useless so an update could not fix this.

Basically I mean an update would contain a new key for new releases and modified authentication for old key software. Of course they have to maintain backwards compatibility for the old key but there are lots of additional ways to authenticate media than just the signed code itself. So basically their new 'safe' would look something like 2 doors, one old door with guards behind it and a new door with a better lock installed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3