xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Blu-ray players reach 2.7 million units sold in the US  (Read 187 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Blu-ray players reach 2.7 million units sold in the US
« on: December 03, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 3-12-2007 23:16 EST

From videobusiness.com:

The Blu-ray Disc Assn. is touting a new milestone passed over the Black Friday shopping period, noting that player sales since launch reached 2.7 million units through Nov. 24.

The 2.7 million sold is a clear achievement over the HD DVD side, which pushed its installment base to 750,000 units following widespread holiday retail sales, notably including $99-priced players at Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

According to the BD camp, total BD disc sales in the U.S. since launch topped 4 million units in November, about the same time HD DVD software sales passed just 2.5 million units.

According to Media Control Gfk International figures cited by BDA, BD movies control 73% of the European market, outselling HD DVD by a three-to-one margin, and BD holds a 95% share of the high-def recorder market in Japan.

Full Story: videobusiness.com

cerberus414

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:24:00 AM »

I hate BD (How about you state the real numbers excluding the PS3s)
There were 2.60 Million PS3s sold in US which means only about 100,000 standalone players were moved as opposed to 750,000 actual HD-DVD standalones or the add ons sold. Regardless of who sold more, probably like 20 million DVD players were moved and 100 million DVD's sold. At this point, the differences are still negligible since the HD sales are still minuscule.

This post has been edited by cerberus414: Dec 4 2007, 11:24 AM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:45:00 AM »

Seen this argument about not classing PS3 as standalone players. It is all play on figures. Who is to say how many people who bough the 360 add on would be buying Real standalone players?
The PS3 is a standalone player... It needs no extra processing unit or PC in order for it to be a BR player. Someone could go out and buy one plug it into the TV and away you go.
The 360 add on is not standalone player. It can not be used without extra equipment to plug it into (no I don't mean simply a TV).
Would a BR or HDDVD drive for  a PC be classed as a standalone player? No and these units should not be included either.
Besides all this I see the same statement every day that the "PS3 has no games", "people can't be buying a PS3 for the games". Is it not feasible then that many people who bought a PS3, bought it because it actually is a good standalone player and was at the time of launch the cheapest about?
What HiFi reviewed and recommended it as a standalone player.
 So the PS3 is part of the real figures. It is a standalone player. people did and do buy it as a BR player first and foremost.

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »

i dont see how the ps3 can be classed as a standalone player, as this implies that it is being used 100% for watching movies, whereas the 360 addon can be as it is a deliberate choice for watching movies.....
the ps3 having the capability to watch movies does not nessecarily solidify into actual fact that owners are watching them.......cant find the link but recent surveys show that less than 20% of ps3'ers watch films...
its a good tactic to fudge the numbers to make it look like bd is winning.

im still amazed how people have got it in there heads that bd is superior, when it needs at least 2 hardware revisions (standalone players) to match hd dvd players that have all functionality ( 2 video encoders / ethernet) which you get right from the word go.

bd's 50 gb is largely wasted for films as the majority are released on 25gb discs, bd+ is a waste of time and money, but now the tl hd dvd (51gb) has been ratified space is now moot, especialy with disney voting for it, and they are supposed to be staunch bd only......

and of course pq and largely aq is identical to hd dvd
im not fussed about uncompressed audio, im not about to change my amp at home to accomodate this, especially if its the only thing on bd thats supposed to one up hd dvd.....studio support is now largely 50/50..granted some of the bigger studios are only bd, but if you look around the net you can find some bd "only" titles on hd dv (like the saw movies / fantastic four / resident evil etc)

i cant see how they get these figures claiming that bd is selling like hotcakes at all, unless they are counting anything released on bd which includes games, because thats the only way they can claim superiority over hd dvd, and then of course thats just plain lying, but seeing as its $ony i wouldnt be the least bit surprised.....
the studios are watching the sale of hd dvd hardware very closely......750,000 hd dvd vs 400,000 bd standalone players does say alot, especialy to those companies also supporting bd, as its showing to them now that for $ony's claims on 5 million (or whatever) ps3's have been sold, its obvious that $ony have stacked the odds in there favour, and the other companies like JVC for example are furious because they cant compete on the price of standalone players against the now cheaper ps3, which to me is a very bad thing as it makes the bd market almsot soley reliable on a games console that isnt doing that spectacular business, and if it keeps floundering as it has been, that could spell the downfall of bd.....

I have the xbox 360 and the addon, but i do plan on buying a standalone hd dvd player as i prefer standalone players anyway, i would be very pissed off if i had gone bd only to find that i wasnt able to access the special features (pip for example) like you get with 300 hd dvd, its amusing to see most bd supporters arguements saying they just want to watch the movie only, which again makes the whole issue of having more space a complete waste of time, most of the dual studios are saying that they struggle to fill 30gb let alone 50........

Now the usa has had its black friday sale and hd dvd players sold 90,000 in one weekend, the numbers for hd dvd movie sales should start to show thru soon, but the more important thing about both formats is that buzz around the ps3 is still pretty negative, standalone bd prices are still high, yet more and more people are beginning to realise that hd dvd has alot to offer, that bd piq quality vs hd dvd pic quality is identical, so why shell out all that extra for no real advantage?

even $ony have admitted that they are in a stalemate with hd dvd

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »

i dont see how the ps3 can be classed as a standalone player, as this implies that it is being used 100% for watching movies, whereas the 360 addon can be as it is a deliberate choice for watching movies.....

Buying the 360 add on means the 360 is being used 100 percent for watching movies? Not really. it's no different  to  the PS3 only you have to buy an extra piece to watch movies.
I bought a standalone DVD player but i also listen to music CDs on it. Does this mean it is not a stand alone DVD player?
 It is really not difficult to see the definition of a Stand Alone player.
 An adjective - self-contained and able to operate without other hardware or software.
 You are also doing exactly what I said people do. basing an assumption, (on an inaccurate description) that nobody buys a PS3 as  Blu-Ray player.
 It always amazes me how big companies like Samsung, Sharp, JVC, Panasonic are discounted in all this.
the majority of large companies are making BR machines.
 At the end of the day it won't matter, because people are not going to be swayed from DVD easily.
The figures speak for themselves. the availability of Movies speaks for itself. You can say what HD-DVD will do and what "Buzz" there is about whatever, but judgement day is not here yet and that day could see both formats fail.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Dec 4 2007, 02:21 PM

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »

I got my PS3 mostly for playing Bluerays.  I do have a few games.  I also have a HDDVD player addon for 360.  My BD collection seems to be getting larger than my HDDVD collection though.  Seems better movies are coming out on BD.  If they released all movies on both, I'd say it would be a hard decision for me then.

This post has been edited by BoNg420: Dec 4 2007, 02:37 PM

the_nerdy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »

Idiots, a stand alone player is something you take out of the box, hook up to the tv only and put your movie in and it plays it.

and I bet you everyone who buys a PS3, probably at least bought or has played 1 BD movie in it. just to see how it looks and etc, I dont know why.

My thing is,  Spend money on a BD player, or get the whole gaming system that can get upgrades to it and etc as well, so it stays up to date.

And yes, the figures are true, BD sells 2:1 almost. very close.  Them stats are just for the movies alone.

Spider man 3 was a big reason for it.   and their are some major other movies too.

Esp the free ones you get with the PS3, I'm sure that was included, but no major impact.

You guys saying Ps3 not stand alone, their is a reason you are on this side of the desk, and us others are on the other side of the desk. lol.

This post has been edited by the_nerdy: Dec 4 2007, 05:41 PM

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(the_nerdy @ Dec 4 2007, 11:39 AM) View Post

And yes, the figures are true, BD sells 2:1 almost. very close.  Them stats are just for the movies alone.

Those were the numbers from the first 3 quarters of this year, but HD-DVD has been outselling Blu-Ray this last quarter. From highdefdigest (which is fairly unbiased), here is the last 90 days of the top 100 HD-DVDs vs. the top 100 Blu-Ray and if you look at that link which is composed of figures directly from amazon.com sales you'll see who's getting beat almost 2:1 now though.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Dec 4 2007, 04:57 PM) View Post

Those were the numbers from the first 3 quarters of this year, but HD-DVD has been outselling Blu-Ray this last quarter. From highdefdigest (which is fairly unbiased), here is the last 90 days of the top 100 HD-DVDs vs. the top 100 Blu-Ray and if you look at that link which is composed of figures directly from amazon.com sales you'll see who's getting beat almost 2:1 now though.

Data is only compiled from one retailer.  You can't base sales figures as an overall picture  on one retailer.
Do you have a link or anything that shows worldwide sales or based on more retailers.
I am looking through google but all results seem to be very old. sad.gif
 I found this
http://www.highdefdi...show/Disc_Sales
Black Friday? More like Blu Friday. According to Nielsen VideoScan, US sales of Blu-ray discs swelled to a nearly 3:1 lead over HD DVD in the first official week of the holiday shopping season.

According to the just-issued VideoScan numbers, 72.6% of all high-definition discs purchased last week were Blu-ray, versus just 27.4% for HD DVD.

Also
Year to date figures show Blu-ray at 64% to HD DVDs 36%, and since their inception, BluRay has a 61% to 39% lead.

http://www.geek.com/...-of-disc-sales/
 It doesn't seem to bear out 2:1 in favour of HD-DVD sales but more the opposite.
I expect DVD will have sold many more than both put together.

Foolscrow

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »

"Buying the 360 add on means the 360 is being used 100 percent for watching movies? Not really. it's no different to the PS3 only you have to buy an extra piece to watch movies."

There are a couple of problems with this arguement.

The numbers for HD DVD only include the add-ons sold, not the total number of 360s.  Every single add-on is used for one purpose:  to play movies.  Therefore (even though it's a little shady), it is a valid device to be counted as a 'dedicated' player.

The PS3 is a different story all together, and your DVD/CD point illustrates it well.  The BDA is fudging the numbers by including the PS3, even though it's BR functionality is something that may or may not be used.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »

Sure BD has sold more, but can you sync with friends?!?!

HD-DVD allows you to be annoyed by friends during the movie, even when they are not in the same house. Beat that, Blu-Ray.

http://www.techconsu...the-same-place/

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 4 2007, 01:05 PM) View Post

Data is only compiled from one retailer.  You can't base sales figures as an overall picture  on one retailer.
Do you have a link or anything that shows worldwide sales or based on more retailers.
I am looking through google but all results seem to be very old. sad.gif
 I found this
http://www.highdefdi...show/Disc_Sales

Also

http://www.geek.com/...-of-disc-sales/
 It doesn't seem to bear out 2:1 in favour of HD-DVD sales but more the opposite.
I expect DVD will have sold many more than both put together.

Your right on the worldwide sales and even US sales, most do reflect a near 2:1 ratio. But as well, considering Blu-Ray owns roughly 90.3% of the market compared to HD-DVD only owning 9.7% (considering that Blu-Ray has 7million units with PS3 and standalones vs 750k with the 360 addon + standalone players) Blu-Ray having ONLY 71% of the disc sales is not that great, they should be closer to the 80-90% of disc sales having such a high install base.

I have a feeling though that the numbers released after this holiday will be much more accurate and all of us will have a better view of how each side is really doing. Will be interesting to see how things play out over the holiday.  smile.gif

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ Dec 4 2007, 10:57 AM) *

I don't think you're even reading that chart correctly.  That chart is the Amazon sales ranking, so the higher numbers are BAD (i.e. It's better to be the 2000th best selling item than the 8000th).  That charts shows that BR has been stomping HD-DVD for most of the quarter until HD-DVD sales closed the gap in November and actually passed it a few days... but the BR took the lead again.  Plus, as Chancer pointed out, that's just one retailer anyway.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

Lol, I feel like an idiot for reading it backwards. I was always thinking it was total sales rather than rank.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

In my defense though, I did only come across that a few days ago and found it by another HD-DVD supporter talking about HD-DVDs sales beating Blu-Ray there. Still I should have looked at the chart better.

This post has been edited by cerealkillajme: Dec 4 2007, 10:15 PM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »

On a personal point, if the players come cheap enough I will also have a HD-DVD player as  I am good at watching movies and rather crap at games.