xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Blu-ray Profile 1.1 makes existing players obsolete?  (Read 111 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Blu-ray Profile 1.1 makes existing players obsolete?
« on: November 06, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 6-11-2007 23:27 EST

From cnet.com:

October 31, 2007 was the official end of the "grace period" for Blu-ray manufacturers, after which all players released must comply with the latest standard--Blu-ray Profile 1.1 (also known as Final Standard Profile and BD-Video Profile 1.1). Of course, that doesn't mean Profile 1.0 Blu-ray players still can't be sold, and if you walk into your local electronics store over the next few months, you're likely to see both Profile 1.0 and Profile 1.1 Blu-ray players on the shelf. So what's the big difference between Profile 1.0 and Profile 1.1?

Profile 1.0 vs. 1.1
There are several different hardware requirements, but it basically boils down to picture-in-picture functionality. All Blu-ray players up until this point have been Profile 1.0 and have lacked the secondary video and audio decoders necessary to play a smaller video in the corner while also playing the main high-def movie in the background. With the notable exception of the PlayStation 3, Profile 1.0 players cannot be upgraded via firmware to become Profile 1.1 players.

Full Story: cnet.com

itchy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »

"With the notable exception of the PlayStation 3, Profile 1.0 players cannot be upgraded via firmware to become Profile 1.1 players."

Which is why the PS3 is the best bluray option even as a standalone player.  7 year SKU life verses 1 yr for a standalone bluray player & the integrated wifi + HD.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(itchy @ Nov 7 2007, 03:31 AM) View Post

"With the notable exception of the PlayStation 3, Profile 1.0 players cannot be upgraded via firmware to become Profile 1.1 players."

Which is why the PS3 is the best bluray option even as a standalone player.  7 year SKU life verses 1 yr for a standalone bluray player & the integrated wifi + HD.

lack of discrete audio outputs = I'll never buy one as a blu-ray player because HD video is only half of the benefit of the format.

you can upgrade the firmware all you want but it wont fix missing hardware features. sure it supports HD audio via HDMI but I'm not about to drop another $800+ on a receiver comparable to the one I've got just so it accepts HDMI audio.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »

Also just because they can upgrade the firmware doesn't mean they will do it in a timely manner. My ratatoully blu ray is having problems and i belive it is the firmware since all my other blu ray discs play fine (including meet the robinsons). I will swap it out to make sure it is not the disk. This is also one of those disks that have must update firmware written all over it.

Anyway my point being if the firmware is fubar and the powers that be are focusing on updatng gaming aspecs of the PS3 for the next six months we are shit out of luck.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

That is the biggest issue I can see as well. the length of time Sony will take to upgrade the firmware. Their may be players at £100 by the time it comes around. Everything seems to get delayed so this will not be any different.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »

My £300 HDTV can do PiP, what took them so long?

Foolscrow

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(ExitRooster @ Nov 9 2007, 02:34 AM) View Post

Why does a dvd player need PiP?  Am I missing something?  Are you going to watch 2 Blue Ray discs at once?  I'm sure there's a logical reason I don't get at this point....

PIP is something that has been a standard feature on HD DVD since day one.  The reason/purpose for the feature is to take advantage of commentary and special features while the movie is playing.

Here's a few examples:

Batman Begins and 300 both have 'making of' that show how some of the stuntwork was performed and co-ordinated.  Using the PIP feature, you can actually see the comparison of the stuntwork being performed and the finished product.  On the BR version of 300, they include the same video, but it loses something when you can't do the comparison.  

Other movies use the feature differently.  The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift has a feature where you get an estimate of what it would cost to insure various vehicles in the movie...kind of a novelty, but it just goes to show how they're working interactivity into the movies.