xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Target to Promote Blu-Ray DVD Format  (Read 94 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Target to Promote Blu-Ray DVD Format
« on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 25-7-2007 20:11 EST

From forbes.com:

Target Corp., the nation's second-largest retailer, will start selling a Sony Blu-ray high-definition DVD player during the critical holiday shopping period and feature the player along with Blu-ray discs in store displays, dealing a potential blow to the rival HD DVD format.

The move, which the companies will formally announce Thursday, is another step in resolving a format war that has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Target said it will sell the Sony BDP-S300 for $499 in October and display it along with Blu-ray DVDs from three studios, including Sony Corp. and The Walt Disney Co., at the ends of store aisles.

The Target announcement comes five weeks after a decision by video rental chain Blockbuster Inc. to offer only Blu-ray titles when it expands its high-def offerings this fall.

Full Story: forbes.com

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »

Hopefully this is another step in resolving this stupid format war....at this point I don't care who wins, I just want one of the formats dead.

BillMan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

Well, blueray will never die due to it being built into the PS3.
So that is kinda sad, the studios locked in to doing Blue ray only are going to remain that way.   Thanks to Sony smile.gif hehe.

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:09:00 AM »

Well for Sony's sake it would be nice to have one of their technically superior formats win the war.
BetaMAX lost to VHS
MiniDisc lost to CD
BluRay beats HDDVD...hopefully

This post has been edited by ludacrisvp: Jul 26 2007, 08:10 AM

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »

How come I always read comments about how Blu-Ray should fail because its a Sony format, or Sony lost with BetaMAX & VHS and will again with Blu-Ray... Sony this, Blu-Ray that...

I could be wrong which is why im asking... but Sony didn't develope Blu-Ray did they? Aren't there around 20 Companies supporting Blu-Ray? With 200~ company members/contributers? So Blu-Ray isn't really a Sony made format is it? I don't get why people associate Blu-Ray with Sony as if Sony created the format... Maybe I'm wrong, I probably am, so please let me know

Uradox

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 05:05:00 AM »

How come they specificly mention Sony's players? Are they getting some deal we are not hearing of? sad.gif