xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PS3 will eventually upscale your awful DVDs  (Read 120 times)

mlmadmax

• Archived User
PS3 will eventually upscale your awful DVDs
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »

A scoop? This has already been announced by the announcer and is old news. dry.gif

Also why the dam thing hasn't always upconverted boggles the mind, every other blue ray and hddvd player on the market does.

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

Sony should blackball Phil Harrison.

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Mar 3 2007, 05:35 PM) View Post

There's scattered reports of upscaling of PS2 games as well - but I can't figure out if it's upscaling of your current titles or upscaled PS2 titles you buy on the network.

Knowing Sony, it's probably the latter. dry.gif

What PS2 games on the network?

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 3 2007, 07:58 PM) View Post

What PS2 games on the network?

http://www.engadget....ames-at-launch/
Perhaps the biggest relief to nervous Eurogamers will be Harrison's claim that over 1,000 PS2 titles will be available on the PlayStation Network at launch, a list of which will be made available online on the 23rd or perhaps even sooner.
Want some more potentially good news? How'd you like all those legacy games to utilize the PS3's upscaling ability and add new life to your favorite classics? Well that's exactly what Sony plans to do with a firmware update this summer, claims "Rumor Reporter" Bruce Kelly, whose sources tell him that the company is looking to bring 1080i/720p support to its upcoming emulator

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »

Huh, thats funny. smile.gif

The PS3 has no upscaling capabilities. ph34r.gif

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Mar 3 2007, 08:28 PM) View Post

Huh, thats funny. smile.gif

The PS3 has no upscaling capabilities. ph34r.gif

thats what i was thinking when i read that, it can't even upscale its current games let alone last-gen titles

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

I saw a thread somewhere that mentioned how the dev consoles can natively render the PS2 titles in HD, rather than just upscale them.  That would be nice to see, although it probably won't happen...

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 3 2007, 08:54 PM) View Post

Anyway, you guys don't seem to understand scaling.  You don't have to have a hardware scaler to scale.  It could be handled by the GPU and/or CPU if they have enough spare power left when running the emulated games.  If the rumor about scaling emulated games is true then that's how it would be done.  It just has a higher 'cost' than having a dedicated chip do it.

Actually I absolutely understand scaling. With hardware scaling there is NO cost to the system and is the proper way to scale. Software scaling is extremely taxing on any system and since the PS3 isn't as powerful as I would have hoped (most games at 720P for example) it seems like it would destroy the performance of any recent game being scaled.

The fact that the PS3 doesn't have any hardware scaling (or software for the time being) is my number one gripe about the PS3 and was discussed a lot on this forum. There was even a programmer that has worked on the PS3 since its inception that confirmed the lack of a hardware scaler and the fact that if they used existing hardware it would tax the crap out of the system.

I am also very tired of hearing about rumors and would like some actual progress

end rant biggrin.gif

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Mar 4 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post
I don't know how efficient their software emulator is, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could pull off scaling on the emulated BC games... it should be fairly easy on the PS1 games.

Yeah, PC's do that fairly easy (PS1 games rendered in UXGA look SO much better).  

Technitian3

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »

There will not be PS2 games on PSN. Check the article again, it has been corrected.
http://www.engadget....ames-at-launch/

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

^
...Perhaps the biggest relief to nervous Eurogamers will be Harrison's claim that over 1,000 PS2 titles will be available on the PlayStation Network at launch fully software-backwards compatible...

They struck it out. IPB Image

ludacrisvp

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »

^^Super bump!
The PS3 does upscale DVDs it will upscale non-copy-protected DVDs over component and copy-protected DVDs over HDMI. If not over HDMI you will get the normal 480 signal.
Is that a proper update?