xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Blue Ray Stuck With Mpeg2 Because Of Ps3?  (Read 841 times)

Reaper527

• Archived User
Blue Ray Stuck With Mpeg2 Because Of Ps3?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(nickthegreat @ Aug 25 2006, 12:49 PM) View Post

umm - this proves my point why the guardian is rubbish: in your article they state that a Ps3 programmer has stated 'its not that hard, honest' - and then they quote Carmack as stating the PS3 is a 'pain in the ass'. -http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1835502,00.html

and I obviously don't like quoting the guardian so here are carmacks comments from elsewhere
http://www.next-gen....c...86&Itemid=2

this is from memory, i'll look it up later, but didn't carmack have some unkind words about the 360 as well? i seem to remember him stating that he stronly favors pc development.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Aug 25 2006, 05:59 PM) View Post

this is from memory, i'll look it up later, but didn't carmack have some unkind words about the 360 as well? i seem to remember him stating that he stronly favors pc development.

Totally innaccurate...the only bad thing he said was the closed box approach of the 360. Meaning the whole linux approach sony was talking about. he wish the 360 would have something similar.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »

both consoles are a pain in the ass in reality.  multi-core and multi-thread code is entirely different then existing code (well mostly, multi-thread code has been around for a while).  the ps3 however is a HUGE pain because how you code for the PPU is entirely different then how you code for the SPEs.  couple that with the fact that there are bandwith, among other, issues with the Cell's architecture does not make a ideal set up for game developers.  

the tools to ease the pain though is what makes MS such an attractive prospect.

John Carmack has never had anything negative to say about the 360 (the 360 is id's lead platform because of Carmack) but he has said that the PC is faster then both next gen systems.  however this is to be expected since he is, at heart, a PC developer.  there may be plenty of console developers that will say the same about the consoles.  i think when put on an even playing field (same resolution, AA, and AF levels) the consoles would be faster, with most of the games on the PC the only clear advantage that i can see is higher resolutions and faster framerates.  

Gabe Newel may be the developer you guys have in mind to have nasty words about the next gen systems.  he was very open to diss the consoles because they are forcing his team to "re-invent the wheel" to work on multi-core architecture.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Aug 25 2006, 02:43 PM) View Post

John Carmack has never had anything negative to say about the 360 (the 360 is id's lead platform because of Carmack) but he has said that the PC is faster then both next gen systems. however this is to be expected since he is, at heart, a PC developer.  there may be plenty of console developers that will say the same about the consoles.  i think when put on an even playing field (same resolution, AA, and AF levels) the consoles would be faster, with most of the games on the PC the only clear advantage that i can see is higher resolutions and faster framerates.  

Gabe Newel may be the developer you guys have in mind to have nasty words about the next gen systems.  he was very open to diss the consoles because they are forcing his team to "re-invent the wheel" to work on multi-core architecture.

thats probably where the confusion came from. like i said, i was talking from memory and just got confused smile.gif

Roy2001

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »

That's funny that SONY claim CELL is so powerful that it could not decode H264, while XBOX can do it (VC-1 is similar to H264).

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

Sooo, who wants to be in the next batch of mutes?  Or pony up for a suspension next time?

Either raise your hands to be counted or knock off the goddamn flaming.  If you cannot post without resorting to childish namecalling and profanity, then *you* kindly "shut the fuck up" [sic].

No more kid gloves will be used in this matter.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(yourM0M @ Aug 26 2006, 10:10 AM) View Post

until the device/chip is public and able to be tested by the public which will probably never happen on the ps3 side, we will never have this arguement settled....

well, since the ps3 uses the cell, thats an easily counterable arguement.

http://www.mc.com/cell/
http://www.mc.com/ce...20_121687pr.cfm
http://www.mc.com/ce...634_51756pr.cfm

the cell is a computer chip, it just happens to be in the ps3. while the cell isn't mainstream computing by any means at this point, it will trickle down into consumer hands eventually without a doubt.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]