xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: 1 TB SATA Hard Drive Upgrade  (Read 1519 times)

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
1 TB SATA Hard Drive Upgrade
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »

I've heard it mentioned that running the console with the cover off can mess with the airflow over the motherboard (resulting in graphics IC meltdowns).  unsure.gif

Perhaps if you chopped a hole in the thingy the HDD is screwed into, so that the CPU fan is blowing air right into the drive?

Thracx

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »

Thanks to all thread participants for the information!  I have been happily using my Xbox with a WD 120GB PATA hdd for years, but have recently been thinking about getting a bigger hard drive so I don't have to FTP/SMB share out files from my PCs (i.e. I don't need all those videos wasting my RAID10 space!).  Most of the information in Xbox-Scene is old and so only talks about hard drives as big as 320GB, so it's good to hear that larger drives could work.

I don't want to have to worry about the SATA-PATA adapter, unless we get more definitive posts in this thread soon.  Hence, I'm planning on ordering the largest PATA drive that I can - 750GB is the largest I've seen.. but I may settle for 500GB, as I've been a very happy WD-only customer since 30GB drives were considered huge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif).  I'll post any problems, or my success, as it happens.

This post has been edited by Thracx: Jul 31 2008, 05:24 PM

Eksyte

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »

Aside from allowing extremely large drives, is there any benefit to using a SATA drive? Is there an increase in load/access times?

chiribomb

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

been gone for awhile and glad to see others still going on the xbox1.

Here my old thread from 06
hd

I havent read this whole thread yet but since fry's have 1tb for 159 i might try it biggrin.gif

run088

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

It works good but it is a little buggy you get the occassional error 13 or f or g partition missing.It cures on a reboot.I guess it is the price you have to pay for the size advantage.
On the otherhand I have a 750 gig pata and it works flawlessly so you decide whats best for you.
As far as performance they seem the same.An xbox does not ask much out of a hdd and the interface that the xbox uses couldnt use the extra speed if it did.

coolio73

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »

Trying to find the root cause: is the issue with the adapter or is it with using a 1 TB drive?

And, am I getting this correctly - only one person(the initial poster) was able to hook up a sata 1 TB drive w/ adapter successfully with no problems?

aerofx

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(coolio73 @ Aug 20 2008, 11:16 PM) View Post

Trying to find the root cause: is the issue with the adapter or is it with using a 1 TB drive?

And, am I getting this correctly - only one person(the initial poster) was able to hook up a sata 1 TB drive w/ adapter successfully with no problems?

read his other posts, he still has problems even though they're minor.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

Best I can make out, the main issue is that SATA drives just take too long to power up for the X-Box's liking.

For what it's worth, one guy got his console booting using a certain adapter that I also bought. Another guy got his console booting with a drive that I also bought.

But that drive/adapter combo didn't work in my X-Box. Worked in my PC though.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2008, 04:02:00 AM »

Does this error screen come with an error code in the corner?

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »

To see if your softmod supports LBA48 (and therefore 1tb drives), put your old HDD in and load up XBPartitioner on it. If you don't get an angry message telling you the support isn't there, then that means you're fine.

No error code means you have a v1.0 console, yes? If that's the case, you might consider flashing your TSOP and doing away with the softmod altogether. See, the problem is that there's a good possibility that the reason it isn't working is because of the whole SATA thing (er, you did read this whole thread, right?), and a TSOP flash would eliminate most of the other possible issues.

run088

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »

The console would still bootup even with the big hdd and no support for it.My guess would be tsop flash and you will find error 13 unless you messed up ur dash files or forgot to lock ur hdd

daov2a

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »

Ok, back from the dead! Here's where I am now:

the xbox I previously mentioned DOES NOT yet support LBA48 (duh!). I spoke to the guy who originally modded it (it was inherited) and he was clueless on the whole thing. I asked what mod he used (Splinter Cell) but, in the end, that didn't matter. It is an xbox 1.0 and I do need to do the TSOP flash. But I have decided to skip that and give this xbox to my niece and start fresh (she just wanted it and gave me her old one, which is version 1.1 and in much better shape all around).

So, I did not want to buy any games, parts, chips, etc. if possible and did the softmod via this tutorial:

http://forums.xbox-s...o...496263&st=0 (a truly excellent and free guide! Thanks Textbook!)

Now, I've given the 1TB upgrade a shot. Copied everything over and did the xboxhdm stuff and error 13. Did a little research and found that #13 is:

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/210562

Then did more digging and found that error 13 comes up for a lot of folks doing a HDD upgrade after the Ndure hotswap softmod. Usually, it's due to the type of softmod and you can run ndts default.xbe and then copy and do xboxhdm and all should be good. But alas, it is not. I still get error 13.

Any ideas?

reliantkcar

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2008, 04:41:00 AM »

Ok so today my friend got the 1tb seagate for 135 off craigslist new in the box from some guy who didn't need it. also we got this adapter off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

So after playing with xboxhdm and swapping his 500 gig with my 10's I put the 1tb in the xbox booted it to the stock dash fine. then i put the cover on and it constantly rebooted till i put mechassault in there and modded it again.
so after modding it the thing kept freezing on boot after many attempts but worked fine without the cover on.

so upon further investigation I found that when the case was screwed on the power cable was pushing the adapter down causing errors like 13 then 21 then 7 in random order. then sometimes it would boot to the dash (unleashed x) and the words would be all garbled.

but every time the case is off it works so first i ripped halo to the hard drive played it and it was good so . right now i'm transfering 150 gigs of data and still no problems but obviously i want to close the case and as such i'm looking for a new adapter to make this 1tb more stable than it is.

by the way the xbox is a version 1.0

the hardrive was set up with 2 469 gig 32kb cluster partitions using xbpartitioner if you'd like to know...

also does anyone know how to change the mac address since the way i changed the harddrives was to just unlock the 500 gig he had and lock it to put it in one of my spares so now his 1tb and 500 gig xbox have the some mac address so they can't be connected to transfer data at all.....

run088

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »

We will see if this will work I got it coming in the mail

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148337

I am going to try the adapter I already have on the 1tb in my sig since it is already known to work.

Finally the possiblity of being able to store all my xbox games in one location.

minino666

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(run088 @ Sep 28 2008, 03:29 PM) *

We will see if this will work I got it coming in the mail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148337
I am going to try the adapter I already have on the 1tb in my sig since it is already known to work.
Finally the possiblity of being able to store all my xbox games in one location.

Which adapter you already have on the 1tb in your sig since it is already known to work???????
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18