xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: WipEout HD Causing Seizures?  (Read 283 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
WipEout HD Causing Seizures?
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 22-7-2008 14:34 EST

From thesixthaxis.com:

Last week we reported that as far as we could tell, Wipeout HD was still on track.  Shortly after that, though, this appeared on Eurogamer, with David Reeves explaining that the reason we've not got a firm release date is that "there is a specific technical problem with WipEout that we have to solve" and that the problem is "a really, really tricky technical problem that no region has been able to solve at the moment."

One possible explanation for the silence is that the game's blisteringly fast 60 frames a second refresh rate coupled with the strobing background scenery and constant bobbing of the craft is causing electrical disturbances in people suffering from epilepsy.   Certainly games of this ilk have been known to cause motion sickness, but the high-tec imagery used in WipEout HD and the flashing lights might well be adding up to more serious issues, and does go some way to back up what Reeves said last week.

Full Story: thesixthaxis.com

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »

Causing seizures in normal people would probably drive sales in the 16-25 crowd. I can see the ad-campaign now... kid playing TV on the couch, and you can tell he's really into the game. All of a sudden he starts shaking uncontrollably and collapses, with the sound byte "ha ha ha haha, wipeout" playing while a giant "Wipeout" logo slides onto the screen. The kid starts to get up and then the "HD" stamp (from the title) hits him on the head and knocks him back down.

If I see this as a commercial, I want my cut smile.gif

Xerino

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »

that is why they put Seizure warnings on games now tongue.gif