xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Square Enix talks FF Versus XIII PS3 exclusivity  (Read 293 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Square Enix talks FF Versus XIII PS3 exclusivity
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | 15-7-2008 11:16 EST

From psu.com:

Following the shocking news of Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform, Square Enix has taken the opportunity to address its plans in regards to keeping Final Fantasy Versus XIII exclusive to the PlayStation 3.

In an interview with Square Enix Executive Shinji Hashimoto, it was revealed that not only will the game remain a PS3 exclusive, but game director Tetsuya Nomura (Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy VII) is developing another game outside of Versus called "One Goal Spirit."

Full Story: psu.com

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure FFXIII Versus will have similar reception to the likes of FFX-2. Keeping it exclusive would be like Nintendo fighting to have the next "Cooking Mama" remain exclusive (well, perhaps not THAT extreme...).

Personally, I don't know anyone who was really anticipating this title to the point where platform mattered. It's interesting to see Square do this. With Nintendo, they made games for the NES & SNES. After than they switched to Sony and developed for PSX/PS2. I suppose with all the old FF's coming out on the DS and PSP, it's not *too* odd that they're developing some multiplatform games.

Still, they used to say they committed to a company's platform. This kind of stuff makes me want the FF-that-never-was-64.

warmaster_670

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jul 15 2008, 02:54 PM) *

I'm pretty sure FFXIII Versus will have similar reception to the likes of FFX-2. Keeping it exclusive would be like Nintendo fighting to have the next "Cooking Mama" remain exclusive (well, perhaps not THAT extreme...).

Personally, I don't know anyone who was really anticipating this title to the point where platform mattered. It's interesting to see Square do this. With Nintendo, they made games for the NES & SNES. After than they switched to Sony and developed for PSX/PS2. I suppose with all the old FF's coming out on the DS and PSP, it's not *too* odd that they're developing some multiplatform games.

Still, they used to say they committed to a company's platform. This kind of stuff makes me want the FF-that-never-was-64.

thats probably because, i dont think weve seen any gameplay, or any real hint as to what the gameplay will be like.

at least with FF13, -people pretty muhc know what its going to be like, albeit, not exactly, but they at least have an idea.

once we see more of this game, i think there might be some more hype.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »

Stuff FF, I remember playing Parasite Eve and I want a re-make.

Naquadah

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure Versus is going to be more of an action game like the Kingdom Hearts games, as i recall reading its being made by the same team at Square-Enix

Verity

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jul 15 2008, 08:54 AM) *

Personally, I don't know anyone who was really anticipating this title to the point where platform mattered.

You might be surprised.  At the price level Sony sells the PS3, its the older folks buying the thing -- the ones who remember FF7 and FF8 on the older Playstation units.

The real point to this announcement is that Sony no longer has as big and well known system seller to boost PS3 console sales.  A "killer app" if you will.  MGS4 was the last hardware pusher, and now it looks like Sony has nothing else left to really fall back on.

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Naquadah @ Jul 15 2008, 05:28 PM) View Post
I'm pretty sure Versus is going to be more of an action game like the Kingdom Hearts games, as i recall reading its being made by the same team at Square-Enix
This is true. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Dirge of Cerberus, as I've heard it uses some elements from that. But I have more confidence in this title because of the team working on it. And also in case anyone didn't know, this game doesn't actually take place in the same universe as Final Fantasy XIII as the name might imply. But because of the name, this game will still probably be pretty popular even if it's not of particularly high quality.

QUOTE(Verity @ Jul 16 2008, 01:48 PM) View Post
The real point to this announcement is that Sony no longer has as big and well known system seller to boost PS3 console sales.  A "killer app" if you will.  MGS4 was the last hardware pusher, and now it looks like Sony has nothing else left to really fall back on.
I'd categorize God of War and Gran Turismo as potentially "killer apps" that are well known. But that first (not this) announcement is still a pretty big blow.

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kamasutra318 @ Jul 17 2008, 09:02 AM) View Post

This is true. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Dirge of Cerberus, as I've heard it uses some elements from that. But I have more confidence in this title because of the team working on it. And also in case anyone didn't know, this game doesn't actually take place in the same universe as Final Fantasy XIII as the name might imply. But because of the name, this game will still probably be pretty popular even if it's not of particularly high quality.

I'd categorize God of War and Gran Turismo as potentially "killer apps" that are well known. But that first (not this) announcement is still a pretty big blow.

I think that GOW will be released in a few years, maybe for PS4, since the only thing i could see in the E3 is a prerendered video, killzone anyone?