xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PS3 vs 360: 4 recent multi-platform examined  (Read 343 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
PS3 vs 360: 4 recent multi-platform examined
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »

360 vs 360: 4 recent multi-platform examined
Posted by XanTium | 27-2-2008 22:51 EST

From gamepro.com:

GamePro examines four recent multi-platform titles (Assassin's Creed, Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty4, Devil May Cry 4) to determine which console has the better games--PS3 or Xbox 360. What we discovered challenges the common wisdom that "Xbox 360 is better."

While we can't definitively name one console as having better multi-platform releases across the board, there's a clear winner among these four games: PlayStation 3 beats the Xbox 360 handily. Call of Duty 4 plays nearly the same on both systems, differing only in superior online integration on PlayStation 3. With Devil May Cry 4, the game is all-around better on PlayStation 3 (despite the horrendous installation process). Burnout Paradise emerges as decidedly better on Sony's system thanks to EA Criterion's decision to make it the leading version of the game. The exact opposite is true for Assassin's Creed where Xbox 360 beats out its PlayStation 3 counterpart visually.

Judging by what we've seen with these recent games, you may be better off picking up PlayStation 3 versions of high-profile multi-platform games for the time being. The notion that PlayStation 3 ports are inherently inferior to Xbox 360 simply doesn't hold water these days. Some games do perform worse on Sony's console--Blacksite: Area 51 has been plagued with performance issues, for instance, and The Orange Box suffers from groan-inducing load times and chugging framerates.

These issues are slowly being addressed, though, as many publishers are starting to churn out multi-platform releases with an eye for the PlayStation 3. LucasArts recently announced an initiative to make the PS3 their leading platform for development, joining a growing wave of developers seeking to improve multi-platform games heading to Sony's console. With any luck, this movement will result in better performance for all gamers, Xbox 360 and PS3 alike. For now though, just enjoy fragging terrorists, crashing cars, and slicing demons in half on your PlayStation 3.

Full Story: gamepro.com (4 pages)

stevenalvarado

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »

very nice to see.

now it´s MS´s step to improve in any way the developers´ "environment to the next multi-platform games to balance that.  happy.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »

Actually reading the whole article I really don't get how they came to their conclusion

overall:
Graphics it was either completely equal, or had a slight edge for the 360 (AC and COD4)

Load times: it was either completely equal or had a slight edge for the PS3 (BP DMC4 was even a wash)

Controls... apparently the reason that DMC4 is "so much better" on PS3 is due entirely to the fact that "The face buttons are simply easier to use for combos and the shoulder buttons, particularly R1, are superior for targeting over the right bumper on Xbox 360."

Are you F-ing kidding me? the layout of the two controllers is identical with the only major difference beating the placement of the left analog and the ergonomics of how it fits in your hand... in which case it comes down entirely to personal preference.

Online they gave a "slight edge" to the PS3 because of dedicated servers, I'll give them that but once again dedicated servers are useless if none of your friends have PS3s and all of them have the 360 version of the game.

Honestly I think the journalist started out with the conclusions he wanted and then drew up the article to suit his needs. Because when it comes down to it the only major difference between these games is which only service you prefer and which controller shape you prefer.

Technical details alone are either a wash or a slight edge on the 360.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »

I am callin BS on this article as well.

He forgot to mention all of those games are locked at 720p and that sucks for people like me who have 1080p televisions. While the 360 upconverts from 720p it does it at the source and that is always going to look better.

Also call of duty 4 looks and plays better on my 360 and the online always has far more people playing. Can't argue with the dedicated server and free online exept for the fact no one is playing.

While I like my PS3 for blue ray movies the whole 720p issue pisses me off espeacially after all the talk about every game will be at 1080p60.

This post has been edited by mlmadmax: Feb 28 2008, 06:11 PM

man_the_king

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »

TO MLMADMAX:
QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Feb 28 2008, 11:10 AM) View Post

... no one is playing.

How about trying to play online on the PS3 first. I've been playing for months now, and I've never had to play alone. I'm skeptical as to whether you actually own a PS3, and if you do, whether you've actually tried to play on it or not.

TO TWISTEDSYMPHONY:
As to twistedsymphony's remarks, I usually enjoy reading your comments, ts, even though they tend to be slightly biased in favour of the 360, sometimes unfairly. However, this was the only time I felt you were openly according more importance to your prejudices over a gaming journalist's article. No offense to you, but I feel that, if the reverse had been true and the 360 had been touted as the better platform, your response would have been unequivocally supportive without worrying about the veracity of the article.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

rooter75

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

Reading through the article I lost total faith in the reporting integrity of Gamepro that is if they had any.  I don't care if they want to pick wich game on which console they like better great share your oppinion. But to title it "the cold hard facts" is just ridiculous. Not to mention the illogical conclusion to their assesments. For example on COD4 in four areas they rated the game: controls do to slower camera tracking on the ps3 they rated edge to 360, Graphics they rated as equal, load times etc they said were equal, then internet integration they give to the PS3 because they state "Since it carries all of the same features as Xbox 360, that key element(of dedicated servers) gives PlayStation 3 a big boost." So in the end they come out saying the ps3 won "Surprised? We were". Not to mention they other comparisons were even worse. I could care less about which console wins i just want to play, but this kind of reporting is disgusting, but hey it is the "Cold hard facts!"

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 28 2008, 04:39 PM) View Post

Honestly I think the journalist started out with the conclusions he wanted and then drew up the article to suit his needs.

If he had done that, the article would've been a lot more convincing. He obviously wrote part of this, went and smoked one and f' around, then came back and tried to finish the review without re-reading what he had already written.