xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid 4: last of the great exclusives?  (Read 161 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Metal Gear Solid 4: last of the great exclusives?
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 29-11-2007 14:40 EST

From reuters.com:

"Metal Gear Solid 4" is not only one of the most eagerly awaited games for Sony's PlayStation 3, it is also among the last of a dying breed -- games designed exclusively for one gaming console.

For years, the console makers have sought to secure such exclusives as a way to drive adoption of their machines.

"We're telling our fans that if you want to play 'Metal Gear Solid 4', you have to buy a PS3," said Ryan Payton, the assistant producer of the game.
"The PlayStation brand has always been good to us, and we're pretty bullish on the PS3."

Full Story: reuters.com

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »

"The Last Great Exclusive?"

no... I don't think so... there are lots more 1st party titles that will never go x-plat unless the parent goes belly up

"The Last Great 3rd Party Exclusive?"

no... I don't think so... there is still stuff like Final Fantasy XIII and Tekken 6 coming down the pipe.

"The Last Great Konami Exclusive?"

doubtful... The Silent Hill series is a great franchise and they still seem to be pretty loyal to the Sony Brand.

"The Last Great Metal Gear Exclusive?"

maybe... but then again there's a whole lot of indicators that point to it only having a timed exclusivity to the PS3. Then you have the purest who would argue that MGS1 or MGS2 were the "Last Great" game in the series.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »

The only thing I know is that Konami should be called Con Army. If they make as big of a cock up with MGS4 as they have with PES2008, it could well be the last of anything for them.

the_nerdy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »

So what does this mean for Final Fantasy and the rest of them great games?

Hope everything turns out ok.

I think though, it is time Sony Dramatically drops the price to $199USD and take a huge profit loss.

Isn't that worth it to keep the exclusives and to win the next gen console race?   It would be for me.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 29 2007, 11:34 PM) View Post

The only thing I know is that Konami should be called Con Army. If they make as big of a cock up with MGS4 as they have with PES2008, it could well be the last of anything for them.

What do PES and MGS have in common outside of the name 'Konami' being on both? TMK they were developed by entirely different teams, and are two completely different games. Even the music should have been created by different teams.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Jan 25 2008, 07:40 PM) View Post

What do PES and MGS have in common outside of the name 'Konami' being on both? TMK they were developed by entirely different teams, and are two completely different games. Even the music should have been created by different teams.

The name Konami behind it. It doesn't matter what development team does the work, because it seems Konami have lowered their acceptable standards in allowing the joke that is PES to pass approval. If you accept shit and let it go for release once who knows.
Basically if MGS4 has any hint of problems I don't want it released regardless. I would rather see it rejected and released late.
 Before you say there have been no problems in previous mGS series. There had also been no issues in previous PES games.
 The decision on acceptance is purely Konami's responsibility so that is why it has everything to do with Konami.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 26 2008, 12:19 AM) View Post

The name Konami behind it. It doesn't matter what development team does the work, because it seems Konami have lowered their acceptable standards in allowing the joke that is PES to pass approval. If you accept shit and let it go for release once who knows.
Basically if MGS4 has any hint of problems I don't want it released regardless. I would rather see it rejected and released late.
 Before you say there have been no problems in previous mGS series. There had also been no issues in previous PES games.
 The decision on acceptance is purely Konami's responsibility so that is why it has everything to do with Konami.

I see where you're coming from.