xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Don't Expect PS3 Software BC To Grow  (Read 119 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Don't Expect PS3 Software BC To Grow
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 20-3-2007 20:55 EST

From 1up.com:

As 1UP pointed out, a number of high-profile games aren't compatible[with the software emulation backward compatibility]. Metal Gear Solid 3, for example, will run on software emulation, but Metal Gear Solid 2 won't. Will that change? Probably not, says Sony. "We are pleased with the number we have been able to make playable for the European launch, but as we have made clear before, our focus going forward will be on innovative new applications and services for PS3 rather than on backwards compatibility," said Nick Sharples, director of corporate communications at SCEE.

"We will test all forthcoming PS2 titles, but it would be unrealistic to expect significant increases [our emphasis] in the number of playable PS2 titles in future firmware upgrades given the above. Whilst J&D and MGS are not listed as playable, their successors MGS3 and Jak and Daxter 2 are playable," Sharples continued.

Full Story: 1up.com and kotaku.com

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »

That really kind of sucks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by mlmadmax: Mar 21 2007, 03:10 AM

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

How ridiculous.  Screw the gamers so you can save a little money - but I suppose that's the way business works.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

suji55

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 04:05:00 AM »

I think that Sony is screwing with the european public. It's unfair that the USA and Japan have the emotion chip.

We should boycott in buying the PS3 until they give us the same specs

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(suji55 @ Mar 21 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post

I think that Sony is screwing with the european public. It's unfair that the USA and Japan have the emotion chip.

We should boycott in buying the PS3 until they give us the same specs

Too right we should - Europe is the laughing stock right now. Tell me how

longer wait + lesser specification = increased cost?

Add this to the delayed release of launch titles and you have a very good reason not to buy one.

Ninja Sniper X

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »

Anyone have a link to the article where Sony bashes M$ about not having a complete backwards compatibility list? Karma sucks man...

At least M$ has all their hit titles backwards compatible....

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »

Searching is tough cause there are so many articles bashing Sony for their decision that any search criteria turns something up relating the the removal of hardware BC.
I did find this though.
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=55108 Dated:  05/12/2006
The 1st few paragraphs hit on a little bit why every person wanting to buy a PS3 has the right to be mad at the decision to remove hardware BC.
...On Backwards Compatibility

[The PS3 will have] almost perfect backwards compatibility. There will be some exceptions, but we believe those will be even less than we saw from PSOne to PS2.

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3."

"If the developer wrote the game according to our technical requirements checklist, we will have what we believe will be almost perfect backwards compatibility. There will be some exceptions, there always are, but we believe those will be very few and far between. Even less so than we saw from PSOne to PS2."

...On Microsoft's Difficulties with Xbox 360 Backward Compatibility

"I don't believe that was backwards compatibility."

I also found this for Thraxen, the only member here maintaining that Sony had delivered on their BC promise, when using hardware chips.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745506p1.html Dated: 11/13/2006
In response to these issues, Sony's PR department pointed out that it, from the start, expected backwards compatibility to be less than 100%. It was also good enough to point out that some people can put up with playing games that lack sound.

This post has been edited by throwingks: Mar 21 2007, 03:44 PM

zest

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »

on the other hand who would buy ps2 games for there ps3?
If you sell your ps2 you prob sell the games too
And if you keep your old ps2...well...then you just could use that one to play the old games...
So to be realy honest with you I am not so sure what all the fuzz is all about the BC "problem"

But i had to admit that if the consol have support for it in US and Asia then EU would have the same right

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(zest @ Mar 21 2007, 03:47 PM) View Post

on the other hand who would buy ps2 games for there ps3?
If you sell your ps2 you prob sell the games too
And if you keep your old ps2...well...then you just could use that one to play the old games...
So to be realy honest with you I am not so sure what all the fuzz is all about the BC "problem"

But i had to admit that if the consol have support for it in US and Asia then EU would have the same right

I bought Black for the 360, specifically because the BC job was so good it was almost on par with some of the 1st gen 360 games. Forza motorsport was purchased for the very same reason.

Don't forget the thousands of users who really don't want two consoles connected to their TV.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 21 2007, 05:31 PM) View Post

I bought Black for the 360, specifically because the BC job was so good it was almost on par with some of the 1st gen 360 games. Forza motorsport was purchased for the very same reason.

Don't forget the thousands of users who really don't want two consoles connected to their TV.

really? i didn't think so, maybe because i played BLACK on the PS2, but i figured there wasn't THAT much of a difference. But okay

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

This is very disappointing.  I don't understand why they would choose to stop work in the software BC when they have such a good start to it.  MS has already announced they are abandoning ship on the 360's software BC, so Sony had a chance here to see their's through as far as they could and essentially one-up MS on the software BC front.  Too bad.

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Mar 21 2007, 05:31 PM) *

That's an interesting point to attempt to make when MS' 35% BC pretty much forces you to keep both the 360 and original XBox connected.

This post has been edited by Thraxen: Mar 22 2007, 05:01 AM

pinkerton

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:41:00 AM »

The very fact that they have decided to screw us Europeans is the deciding factor not to buy a PS3 for me. I'm off to buy a Wii instead! Will look good next to the 360 smile.gif