xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is Blu-ray really a good medium for games?  (Read 215 times)

Pheidias

• Archived User
Is Blu-ray really a good medium for games?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »

I can't believe the blu-ray issue is still being beaten to death. Just its scratch resistant coating makes it better then using dvds. I still remember all the outcry and horror story's of scratched dvds on the 360.

I think blu-ray is a great medium for games, scratch resistant, great storage capacity and constant read speeds.

You are all focusing on the wrong thing. You are forgetting its actually the ps3 blu-ray drives slow read speed that is the problem its not the blu-ray discs.

So you can giving sony shit for using a slow Blu-ray drive but not for using blu-ray discs, IMO

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »

Well I thought installing game assets to the hard drive were optional.

The only good thing about Blu-Ray atm in games is having 1080p cut-scenes.

The PS3 has been out in NTSC a good couple of months now, I don't here to much winning about load times. Though I have yet to try a PS3 here in the UK.

The reason all PS3 games are on Blu-Ray is to reduce production costs, so in turn movies will get cheaper to.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 20 2007, 03:03 AM) View Post

I can't believe the blu-ray issue is still being beaten to death. Just its scratch resistant coating makes it better then using dvds. I still remember all the outcry and horror story's of scratched dvds on the 360.

I think blu-ray is a great medium for games, scratch resistant, great storage capacity and constant read speeds.

You are all focusing on the wrong thing. You are forgetting its actually the ps3 blu-ray drives slow read speed that is the problem its not the blu-ray discs.

So you can giving sony shit for using a slow Blu-ray drive but not for using blu-ray discs, IMO

That is irrelevant.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 04:09:00 AM »

Heh I just got G.W Bush flashback,

Journalist: So Mr President now that they didn't find any WMDs how can you justify the occupation of Irak.

Bush: WMDs? that's irrelevant.

This post has been edited by Pheidias: Jan 23 2007, 12:10 PM

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Jan 22 2007, 11:34 AM) *

That is irrelevant.

Not really.  Sure, the main focus is the PS3, but the topic does say "Is Blu-ray" really a good medium for games?".  So, yes, BR is a good medium for games.  Was the time good right now?  Tough call... given the pricing I think it may have been a bit too early.  As far as speeds go, caching to the HDD is a viable option... one that even devs working on the 360 can't fully utilize thanks to the idiotic Core system.  It should also be pointed out that while the DVD drive in the 360 may be speedier than the BR drive in the PS3, it's f'ing LOUD.  The damn thing is obnoxious.  So, personally, I'd rather wait for a game to cache a bunch of data to the HDD than listen to a freaking loud drive the whole game anyway.  

Just my 2 cents.

This post has been edited by Thraxen: Jan 24 2007, 06:35 AM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »

one that even devs working on the 360 can't fully utilize thanks to the idiotic Core system

what exactly is it they can't utilize?

It should also be pointed out that while the DVD drive in the 360 may be speedier than the BR drive in the PS3, it's f'ing LOUD

well thank you for pointing that out, sir. Its something I havent heard alot of ppl talking about lately? rolleyes.gif

heartofalion

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Jan 24 2007, 07:15 AM) *

what exactly is it they can't utilize?

i think he was referring to the fact that M$ wont let any devs create games that require a HDD because you can buy a core system without the HDD so not everyone has one. Whereas all PS3's do.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(heartofalion @ Jan 24 2007, 01:00 PM) View Post

i think he was referring to the fact that M$ wont let any devs create games that require a HDD because you can buy a core system without the HDD so not everyone has one. Whereas all PS3's do.

not true, Final Fantasy XI

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Jan 23 2007, 10:45 PM) View Post

It should also be pointed out that while the DVD drive in the 360 may be speedier than the BR drive in the PS3, it's f'ing LOUD.  The damn thing is obnoxious.

Not all of them are, mine is a refurbished 360 made in 2005. It's not that loud and neither are my friends, so it varies on the generation.

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »

Is BluRay a good medium for games? Theoretically yes, practically- no.

Theoretically: BluRay has more storage space, thud better handling HD content.
Practically: Slow access speeds and RAM concerns pretty much nuke any advantage and as we've seen result in not-so-HD textures becoming prevalant, except in the case of loading pre-rendered video a la JRPGs, perhaps. So those games are the only ones who will really take advantage of BluRay.

Theoretically: BluRay is scratch-resistant, and a future-proofed technology due to its focus on HDMI and (etc).
Practically: BluRay players cost 2x as much, BluRay discs are more expensive, HDMI delivers virtually nothing Component cables don't unless the movie industry implements the (CTR? DTN? I ahve no clue) flags, in which case the only difference is that Component would then be limited to 1080i output. Whoopie.

Theoretically: Developers can make better high-def experiences by using BluRay's greater storage.
Practically: Nobody's really using that much space (or if they are, they're Resistance and they're only using it because they can- compare to GOW), and nearly all developers could make the exact same game load faster and ship for cheaper developing on DVD instead of BluRay- even on the exact same PS3 hardware.

So disregarding the state of PS3 (which you can't, because Sony's the one pushing that connection, mind you) BluRay still isn't the best medium. It's still more expensive, and there's pretty much no need for it.

Is it "future-proofed"? Sure, but so is printing games on two discs, which worked fabulously for PlayStation in the past.
Pages: 1 [2]