xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?  (Read 130 times)

Dravor

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

Hey all,

I was just watching the show Geared where they had a Sony exec on talking about the PS3.  He touted that they went with Blue Ray because they needed the capacity of  Blue Ray discs.  He then went on to say resistance of man is 16GB.  

I guess what I'm astounded by is how Microsoft put together such a great looking game in Gears of War with the limit of a dual layer dvd, and why Sony's title takes up 16GB's.  It just seems a bit unbelieveable that their titles are going to be 16GB.  

Your thoughts?

Lotus289

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »

yeah i read about that here on the scene somewhere.  it's not really a 16Gb game, they did something like stretching the data to make it either sound bigger, or actually be bigger than i needs to be.  i forget what exactly it was about, but there's really only something like 8-10Gb of data on there.  so it's not far off (if not the same) as a 360 Game.

Trance Mix

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »

Yeah exactly they stretched it, was supposed to be 7 gigs or something like that.

Pheidias

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »

More like they allowed FMVs. Games with HQ FMVs isn't feasable on the 360. Neither are multiregion disc that contain extra languages like, french german and spanish. This is what Blurays space is being utilized for. The acctual game data won't exceed 7.5gb on that many titles.

incognegro

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lotus289 @ Jan 15 2007, 01:49 AM) *

yeah i read about that here on the scene somewhere.  it's not really a 16Gb game, they did something like stretching the data to make it either sound bigger, or actually be bigger than i needs to be.  i forget what exactly it was about, but there's really only something like 8-10Gb of data on there.  so it's not far off (if not the same) as a 360 Game.

ur correct. Sony has been doing that since the ps1 days. The way how data is placed on the disc makes the games bigger than they actually are (the spacing of the data). They also add dummy files and that sort of stuff to trump piracy. Thats only one factor phiedas mentioned that HD fmvs take alot of space and and sound also. The language files are less of a factor it depends on the devs, the xbox had tons of language files on each disc. Even psp games.

This post has been edited by incognegro: Jan 15 2007, 08:40 PM

C o s m o

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »

2 things:
As already stated, the games aren't necessarily as big as claimed.

AND, part of the reason Gears looks so good is it's grit.  Most graphic artists/designers will tell you that it's far easier, and takes-up less space, to make gritty look good as opposed to clean and shiny.

Pheidias

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »

What are you saying something isn't "shiny" on the xbox (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Actually Gears still is very "shiny" not halo "shiny" but still.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement that its easier to make gritty look good though. And I  don't agree that it will take up less space cause it is in fact the other way around adding in extra textures, filters etc will take up more space then just having shiny and clean simple color textures

This post has been edited by Pheidias: Jan 16 2007, 08:43 PM

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ps3 Game Size, 16gb?
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 15 2007, 01:54 AM) View Post

More like they allowed FMVs. Games with HQ FMVs isn't feasable on the 360. Neither are multiregion disc that contain extra languages like, french german and spanish. This is what Blurays space is being utilized for. The acctual game data won't exceed 7.5gb on that many titles.

correction HQ FMV is feasable on the 360, though limiting because of the amount of disk space.  for most RPGs that wish to contain many HD pre-rendered FMV, they will more then likely use more then one disk like blue dragon.

from what i remember, the reason for the huge size of RFoM is because it contained more then one region like pheidias mentioned.  it also contains padded files (dummy files) which are usually used to push the data towards the outward edge of a disk where drives would read faster.  what i dont understand is why bother padding a ps3 game when i thought a blu-ray drive was supposed to read at the same speed throughout the entire disk.