xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: PS3 Worst Reviewed Launch Ever?  (Read 145 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
PS3 Worst Reviewed Launch Ever?
« on: November 24, 2006, 11:46:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 25-11-2006 1:10 EST

From 1up.com:

We all got excited when the PS3s finally arrived. But that initial high wore off in shockingly short order. As talk circulated around the office from everyone playing the games for reviews it became clear that beyond  Resistance, the launch lineup dropped off pretty sharply. It didn't take long for the gut feeling to develop that PS3 might just have the worst reviewed set of launch games in modern videogame history.

As it turns out a Sony console did indeed have the worst reviewed crop of launch games, but not the one we thought. The original PlayStation holds the title, with the nine (out of 12 release games for which Gamerankings has a composite score) racking up a lackluster 70.4 average score.

And not only isn't PlayStation 3 the worst reviewed launch lineup in recent memory, it's not even the worst in this latest "next-gen" round of launches. Believe it or not, that distinction goes to the Wii, despite having Zelda. Its 20 games combined for a 71.3 average, making it actually the second worst launch next to the PlayStation. With PS3 coming in at 73.4, that gave the crown to Xbox 360, which averaged 77.3 for its launch library.

Read More: 1up.com

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »

not by my calculations:

Section
pro score | user score | game title

360 Exclusives

74% 7.4 Amped 3
90% 8.8 Call of Duty 2
83% 8.2 Condemned: Criminal Origins
81% 8.0 Kameo: Elements of Power
81% 7.9 Perfect Dark Zero
89% 8.6 Project Gotham Racing 3
76% 7.8 Quake 4
76% 7.3 Ridge Racer 6

360 Cross Platform
62% 6.3 FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
76% 7.6 Gun
81% 7.5 King Kong
75% 6.6 Madden NFL 06
80% 7.0 NBA 2K6
66% 6.5 NBA Live 06
83% 8.1 Need for Speed Most Wanted
75% 6.6 NHL 2K6
71% 6.5 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
75% 6.8 Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland

Total 360 Exclusives: 8
Average 360 Exclusive Review Score: 81%
Average 360 Exclusive User Score: 8.0

Total 360 Games: 18
Total 360 Game Review Score: 77%
Total 360 Game User Score: 7.4

PS3 Eclusives

58% 4.0 Genji: Days of the Blade
35% 5.3 Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
65% 4.9 NBA 07
89% 6.7 Resistance: Fall of Man
80% 5.1 Ridge Racer 7
58% 5.0 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

PS3 Cross Platform
83% 7.4 Call of Duty 3
77% 5.5 Madden NFL 07
86% 6.4 Marvel Ultimate Alliance
82% 4.8 NBA 2K7
82% 6.4 Need for Speed Carbon
80% 4.5 NHL 2K7
83% 4.8 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
79% 4.7 Tony Hawk’s Project 8

Total PS3 Exclusives: 6
Average PS3 Exclusive Review Score: 64%
Average PS3 Exclusive User Score: 5.2

Total PS3 Games: 14
Total PS3 Game Review Score: 74%
Total PS3 Game User Score: 5.4

Wii Exclusive

74% 9.0 Excite Truck
51% 6.8 GT Pro Series
96% 9.1 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
68% 8.4 Red Steel
76% 8.6 Super Monkeyball Banana Blitz
79% 7.3 Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam
82% 8.5 Trauma Center: Second Opinion
78% 8.8 Wii Sports

Wii Cross Platform
62% 2.9 Avatar: The Last Airbender
79% 8.8 Call of Duty 3
–% 6.3 Cars
80% 7.7 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
–% 5.7 The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
45% 4.4 Happy Feet
80% 6.6 Madden NFL 07
82% 8.7 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
65% 7.3 Monster 4×4 World Circuit
–% 8.6 Need for Speed Carbon
58% 7.0 Rampage: Total Destruction
80% 8.5 Rayman Raving Rabbits
60% 9.0 Splinter Cell Double Agent
70% 8.3 SpongeBob SquarePants: Creatures from the Krusty Krab

Total Wii Exclusives: 8
Average Wii Exclusive Review Score: 76%
Average Wii Exclusive User Score: 8.3

Total Wii Games: 22
Total Wii Game Review Score: 72%
Total Wii Game User Score: 7.6

Looking at just exclusives:
The 360 averaged an 81% across 8 titles
The PS3 averaged a 58% across 6 titles
The Wii averaged an 80% across 8 titles

Looking overall
The 360 averaged a 76% across 18 titles
The PS3 averaged a 64% across 14 titles
The Wii averaged an 74% across 22 titles

all scores taken from gamerankings.com which collects scores from gamers as well as all major gaming publications.

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Nov 25 2006, 09:01 AM

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »

Twisted exlcusive means it only is on one system that means if it is on the pc as well it ain't a exclusive.

I would have had more faith in gamerankings user rating system if they hadn't given rfom a 6.7, vs metacritic (the better site IMO since they list everything not just games) has a 9.0 user rating you also need to check how many people have actually cast a vote less then 1000 and a fine tuned alchorithm like on imdb and you get wacky scores. And internet users giving scores is a waste of time since its plagued by fanboys and worse,  haters.

Meh another fanboy rant from me then....

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 25 2006, 11:12 AM) View Post

Twisted exlcusive means it only is on one system that means if it is on the pc as well it ain't a exclusive.

I would have had more faith in gamerankings user rating system if they hadn't given rfom a 6.7, vs metacritic (the better site IMO since they list everything not just games) has a 9.0 user rating you also need to check how many people have actually cast a vote less then 1000 and a fine tuned alchorithm like on imdb and you get wacky scores. And internet users giving scores is a waste of time since its plagued by fanboys and worse,  haters.

lol....you sound like Al Gore.....anyways thats a little too much fuzzy math for me tongue.gif

Ive been saying this for a minute now, both launches are actually worse than the 360 launch, can't really argue with facts. This is what prompted me to hold off on my wii purchase for awhile atleast until a minimum of three games come out that I actually wanna play (wario ware baby!)

As for the ps3......will get it when the system costs as much as it's worth

anyways, back to GoW (still...Back at it, like a crack addict!)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 25 2006, 05:12 AM) *

Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear with how I compiled the list

-"Exclusive" was defined as not availble for any other brand of home console, if the game was availble for PC or Portable it was still considered and exclusive.
-A "Launch title" was a game that was available on the same day as the console, no later.
-All scores were rounded to the nearest whole digit when placed on a scale of 100 (though user scores were displayed differently to keep them visually distinct).
-All scores were compiled on November 21st and may have changed since then.
-Games that had not received a score from any publication or had received less then 10 user reviews were given a null score "--" and were excluded in the average score calculations.

If you have a problem with the way I compiled the scores, then I encourage you to re-compile and re-calculate the scores yourself.

Since 1up wanted to compare to the PS1 here are the PS1 scores using the same metric as above

Exclusive
50% 4.8 ESPN Extreme Games
30% -.- Kileak: The DNA Imperative
65% 6.1 Raiden Project
81% 7.3 Ridge Racer

Not Exclusive
85% 6.4 Battle Arena Toshinden
79% 5.6 NBA JAM Tournament Edition
70% 6.9 Rayman
40% 3.8 Street Fighter: The Movie

Total PS Exclusives: 4
Average PS Exclusive Review Score: 57%
Average PS Exclusive User Score: 6.1

Total PS Games: 8
Total PS Game Review Score: 63%
Total PS Game User Score: 5.8

Looking at just exclusives:
The PS averaged an 59% across 4 titles
The PS3 averaged a 58% across 6 titles

Looking overall
The PS averaged a 61% across 8 titles
The PS3 averaged a 64% across 14 titles

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Nov 25 2006, 04:47 PM

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »

horrible launch numbers indeed, luckily the psx has some of the best games ever made under its belt and if the ps3 just manages to be half as badass its worth its weight in gold. But I'm gonna try to ignore as much news about the ps3 as possible and just stumble into a store sometime in 2008 and pick one of the shelfs and just give it a chance to blow me away.

To be honest I also think unless you play the games with a regular controller I think that every wii game are too be considered a exclusive.

This post has been edited by Pheidias: Nov 25 2006, 07:52 PM

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

Lol yep i agree that the PS3 has the worst set of launch games ive ever played. Resistance is the only half decent game you can get for it at the moment.

horrible launch numbers indeed, luckily the psx has some of the best games ever made under its belt and if the ps3 just manages to be half as badass its worth its weight in gold. But I'm gonna try to ignore as much news about the ps3 as possible and just stumble into a store sometime in 2008 and pick one of the shelfs and just give it a chance to blow me away.

Thats a good strategy you have there lol. If you wait a while for some better games, and for the PS3 to become more avaliable, theres more of a chance youll like it.

jonko

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 01:29:00 PM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)  I still have to wait for march 2007.
that is when the ps3 comes to europe.
but it better have no errors like crappy bleutooth controller errors and some decent exclusive games.

Motorstorm looks very great though, but what happened to killzone?
never heard of it again.

cheers

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »

sad.gif I still have to wait for march 2007.
that is when the ps3 comes to europe.

Lol theres a nice little thing called importing. Although, your in europe, so that may present a problem. Lol sony forgot about Australia  tongue.gif

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Nov 25 2006, 09:15 PM) View Post

Lol theres a nice little thing called importing. Although, your in europe, so that may present a problem. Lol sony forgot about Australia  tongue.gif
Australia EB stores where taking pre-orders for about 2 months, posters were up in the stores and bam everything disappeared, lol.

Sony are still selling a dream, the console is far from living up to any of it's expectation. I really do hope they pick up their act and give MS a run for their money. We need Sony & MS going at it head to head driving new features and higher quality titles and services in a fight for market share.

Personally i wont even think of buy one until Q1 2008. Sony's main focus is going to be the holiday season 2007 and i wouldn't expect anything that exceptional to come out before then. Although if you don't own a 360 you will get some value out of the 360 ported games that will stream out across the next year.