xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Console war: How Sony lost exclusives  (Read 201 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Console war: How Sony lost exclusives
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:49:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 19-11-2006 1:13 EST

From joystiq.com:

The second and third parts of Newsweek's N'Gai Croal three-part series consider why 360 software sales haven't yet boosted demands for the hardware and how Microsoft courted many titles away from PS3-exclusive status.

Croal says that Sony was too focused on Japanese developers and its national launch of the PS3 that its American and European divisions couldn't get developer negotiation approval from the Japanese mothership. Microsoft maintained contact with Rockstar and others through this Sony silence, scaring up Xbox 360 versions of third-party PlayStation mainstays. Apparently, Ubisoft wanted Assassin's Creed to be a PS3 exclusive but couldn't steal Sony's focus from the initial Japanese launch. (So that's what was going on.)

Read More: joystiq.com and newsweek(1)/newsweek(2)/newsweek(3)

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 01:12:00 AM »

blink.gif

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:38:00 AM »

Nice with some real journalistic approach to the console war and MS failure to create momentum. Interresting take on how xbox360 got some exclusives though. That should end all the I hate Ken speaches from the ms camp.  tongue.gif

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:23:00 AM »

How is an (over?) 400% Japanese sales increase since TGS in and worldwide selling out of 360 as fast as it can be manufactured considered a "hasn't boosted demands"?

Then again, demand in virtually all of the world is basically as high as it can possibly go without resorting to violence, and considering the PS3 launch, maybe that's the sort of "boost" this mag wanted to see for 360.
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

If this story really is true, it's pretty sad. Even with hardware shortages looming (BR diodes), technology issues mounting (BR certification taking too long and etc), PR debacles on a grand scale ("We are ready to launch in Spring 2006!"), and 360 selling like hotcakes in most territories, the only reason titles changed hands was due to Sony not paying attention to them?

Seriously- What the hell?

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »

Are you just ignorent to facts or something? Selling like hotcakes? Worldwide selling out, are you counting Australia as the world? As the article says x360 hasn't sold more then 300000 consoles per month since its release and are boosting some bad numbers. Getting anywhere near the 10 million sold units would be a feat worthy of legends. And 400% still only means 5000 sold consoles in a month in japan, Even now with the new giveaway core price they only manage to sell ~5000 a week and declining. The 360 only works on FPS lovers the rest eagerly awaits the PS3 and Wii its just facts.

It will be interesting from now on however to track monthly numbers of wii vs ps3 vs x360. The x360 sold ~605000 consoles nov dec 2005 in NA , I think even the ps3 will be able to do that despite its shortages.

cerberus414

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »

www.nexgenwars.com

PS3 is selling like crap. 480,000 Units released.... Only 1/2 sold. Wii has already outpaced PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe Sony just lied about shipment numbers.

This post has been edited by cerberus414: Nov 19 2006, 09:10 PM

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

Microsoft has never claimed Japan as theirs to win. This article to me sounds like Sony spent too much time on their knees going down on Japanese devs to keep them away from the X360 and in turn gave their European and American devs the cold shoulder turning them away.

Last time I checked, I don't live in Japan, so I really don't care how the console sells there. The only Japanese games I've ever enjoyed were Otogi and Parasite Eve. SquareEnix can keep 99% of their titles and everything else. Microsoft selling more consoles there isn't a bad thing though. The PS3 has sold out but short of Resistance Fall of Man they haven't show anything worthwhile. I have one word....

KILLZONE!!!! Sony claims we were seeing real-time gameplay 2 years ago, sounded like they must be pretty far on the game developmentwise. Maybe ready a demo for the game with launch? 2 years later....no word. I'll take a console with games over a console with smoke and mirrors any days.

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 19 2006, 04:33 PM) View Post

Are you just ignorent to facts or something? Selling like hotcakes? Worldwide selling out, are you counting Australia as the world? As the article says x360 hasn't sold more then 300000 consoles per month since its release and are boosting some bad numbers.

The article stated that games weren't pushing consoles- my point was that when you look at Japan, that's not true. TGS cranked up sales in the region by extraordinary percentages- yes the overall figure still sucks. But it's one clear case of games pushing console sales.

And even 360 fanboys readily admit last quarter was pretty dry. Let's see how sales come out after the releases of GoW, Viva Pinata, Rainbow 6... if the console is still sour at that point, nobody could deny problems. Are we really going to trash a manufacturer for savings its big guns until Christmas? Sure, it all could fall flat in the end- we'll see soon enough.

...and Microsoft claims to have pushed 1.5 million consoles by year-end 2006. There's some discrepancy among major sources about whether that's shipped or sold units- but keep in mind, it's not like we haven't seen the same thing from Sony before. Anyway, Sony didn't meet its launch forecasts, and it's already halved its year-end target to 2 million. Given the shortages showing from PS3 thus far, it looks like they should end pretty much on track with 360.

Wii, on the other hand, might utterly destroy launch numbers from both its competitors.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »

Yeah ps3 is selling like crap... 25000 consoles on ebay.. saturating the market or what.

Wii sold more consoles on 1 day then x360 did the whole holiday season smile.gif

cerberus414

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

Actually, as of now, PS3 sold 260,000 (including JAPAN), out of the promised 500,000 shipped. Xbox 360 sold 400,000 when it launched. Wii has sold the most, right around 660,000 in one day.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 20 2006, 09:56 AM) View Post

Wii sold more consoles on 1 day then x360 did the whole holiday season smile.gif

Maybe because of the supply of the wii. But the wii supposedly had shipped over 4 million on launch day, yet the have only sold 700,000, less than a fifth.

http://www.firingsqu...?searchid=13011

Yet 360's were sold out for months after launch, i didn't even see one that had been in stores longer than a day until june.

XxEriCxX

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

ya i kno 1 year later i still mabey see 2 or 1 in like bestbuy

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(cerberus414 @ Nov 20 2006, 09:38 PM) View Post

Actually, as of now, PS3 sold 260,000 (including JAPAN), out of the promised 500,000 shipped. Xbox 360 sold 400,000 when it launched. Wii has sold the most, right around 660,000 in one day.

the wii shipped that much, it didn't sell that much. Nintendo didn't make their targets either. So far (not day one) 500,000 wiis have been sold.

Don't believe the hype. Both console's sales numbers are not that impressive. One thing is for sure the wii has doubled the ps3 sales in a shorter amount of time.

anybody has any real concrete numbers for the systems? dry.gif

Why would anybody compare current 360 sales to wii sales especially since the demand for the wii is higher cause it hasn't been out for a week yet dry.gif

only pheidas rolleyes.gif

Also how can a $400 system produce sales similar to lower priced consoles? Thats something I haven't heard anyone tackle...

anyways, back to the lost planet demo/ GoW coop

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »

Hehe, yeah I sure compared current selling vs the wii, if I had I would have been taking the number out of my ass, since sales numbers for november aren't out (And I bet x360 sales will trump the wii). Even if the wii only managed to sell 450000 on first day its still 200000 more then the 360 did on day one in the US. But yes its unfair to compare launch numbers since they all sold out what ever stock they had.

I wonder where the 2mil wiis that was produced in september ended up, the ones that was gonna need a startup disk. They only managed to get 450000 for the launch, wiik wiik. December 2nd Wii, december 8th wii

the 360 can be bought for 100$ 200$ 300$ or 400$.

"Also how can a $400 system produce sales similar to lower priced consoles? Thats something I haven't heard anyone tackle..."
smile.gif smile.gif
how can a 600$ system produce similar sales as a 400$ system..

the 360s are collecting dust on our shelfs over here

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Nov 24 2006, 07:45 PM) View Post

Hehe, yeah I sure compared current selling vs the wii, if I had I would have been taking the number out of my ass, since sales numbers for november aren't out (And I bet x360 sales will trump the wii). Even if the wii only managed to sell 450000 on first day its still 200000 more then the 360 did on day one in the US. But yes its unfair to compare launch numbers since they all sold out what ever stock they had.

I wonder where the 2mil wiis that was produced in september ended up, the ones that was gonna need a startup disk. They only managed to get 450000 for the launch, wiik wiik. December 2nd Wii, december 8th wii

the 360 can be bought for 100$ 200$ 300$ or 400$.

"Also how can a $400 system produce sales similar to lower priced consoles? Thats something I haven't heard anyone tackle..."
smile.gif smile.gif
how can a 600$ system produce similar sales as a 400$ system..

the 360s are collecting dust on our shelfs over here

Its all about demand and the fact is that all of these new systems' demand is so high that no matter what price their introduced for they sell out on day one. The ps3 is no exception, producing first day sales is not about the price but supply meeting demand. Even sony said that early adopters don't care about nothing but getting the system early. Price, quality of software and all these mean very little to them.

Pages: [1] 2