xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Its All About The Games (sony Attach Rate)  (Read 139 times)

Reaper527

• Archived User
Its All About The Games (sony Attach Rate)
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

it would appear sony isn't doing quite as hot as microsoft was this time last year.
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/11/1...ry-ps3-sold.htm

This means the PS3 has a software-hardware tie ratio of 0.98, meaning less than one game purchased for every PS3 sold.

wasn't the 360's attache rate high 2's at launch?

KaRiL

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »

Are you comparing this to the 360 japanese launch??

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

Acctually I read somewhere that x360 sold 68000 consoles first two days, with 30000 copies of rr6 and 15000 of PDZ how the rest of the launch titles sold I'm not sure.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

I would imagine the low PS3 attach rate is due mostly in part to the console's price meaning people are more likely to only buy one game as opposed to two or three, and secondly due to exporters who are undoubtedly trying to export the hot console to other countries, while at the same time NOT exporting games (since you can already get some locally regioned games and the console is region free).

I don't know what 360 attach rate was at launch but last week NPD released a report stating that the current attach rates for the 360 were

2.9 accessory units sold per console. Software attach rates rose to a record 5.1 units per console worldwide.

IIRC the highest attach rate for for any console was the PS1 which was a software attach rate of 13.2 for Japan in June of 2005 (the 10th anniversary of the console there). I don't believe any other consoles have come close with the next highest being the PS2 and Gamecube nether breaking out of the single digits and topping out around 7 or 8 just before the 360's release.

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Nov 14 2006, 10:49 PM

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »

Buying a console without a game to go with it..... blink.gif

That makes no sense to me. Sure theres backwards compatibility, but why buy a PS3 to play PS2/1 games on when you have both already?

I don't value backwards compatibility very much.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 02:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Nov 15 2006, 04:24 AM) View Post

That makes no sense to me. Sure theres backwards compatibility, but why buy a PS3 to play PS2/1 games on when you have both already?

Because ps3 will sell even if it had no games remember? Didn't you read the memo sent out by sony?

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:33:00 AM »

Reading over at AVSForums, a lot of people are buying the PS3 because of it's Blu-Ray capabilities, which is right within Sony's strategy for Blu-Ray market penetration (heh heh).

Of course, depending on where you read, you're going to get a different impression. On this forum, games will be the primary use, HTPC/Linux use second, and Blu-Ray third. On AVSForum, probably Blu-Ray first, HTPC second, and Linux/Games third.

paintballw13

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »

My personal opinion the resale value of the PS3 is the reson for less games sold , the low game sales tells at launch tells me that nobody intended on keeping the unit and getting double there money back - by no means am i a gaming guru just my 2 cents or in this case 4 cents

beige

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Nov 15 2006, 04:50 AM) *

Because ps3 will sell even if it had no games remember? Didn't you read the memo sent out by sony?

You'd think that by knowing that, they would have sold a system that made them a profit instead of taking a loss on each one.

QUOTE(VinnySem @ Nov 15 2006, 07:04 AM) *

Reading over at AVSForums, a lot of people are buying the PS3 because of it's Blu-Ray capabilities, which is right within Sony's strategy for Blu-Ray market penetration (heh heh).

Has anyone done a study of the attach rate of Blueray movies when buying a ps3?

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(beige @ Dec 1 2006, 11:37 AM) View Post

Has anyone done a study of the attach rate of Blueray movies when buying a ps3?

I'm planning on buying superman returns and xmen 3 when I get my tv back from warranty service, but that tv is 1080p - if I had a 720p or a 1080i crt (--because the pixel pitch makes 1080i on a crt more blurry than on a "fixed" pixel display--)  I think I'd be less likely to go out and buy movies right away.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Nov 14 2006, 07:24 PM) View Post

so i can run linux on my ps3 and do exactly the same as a media center pc, about the same size too! it just works so perfect!

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »

Personally, it does pay for me to own PS3 for backwards compatibility considering my PS2 laser is dead, and the only way to even play PS2 games on a disc is on PS3 now.  The only reason I still own PS2 now is to play games with HDloader which I do prefer anyway.

Unfortunately PS2 games on PS3 do have diminished video quality for some reason.  They don't look as good.