xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Resistance: Fall Of Man Ign Review.  (Read 531 times)

silentbob343

• Archived User
Resistance: Fall Of Man Ign Review.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Nov 12 2006, 07:02 PM) *

i played 5 hours the first night i had it and i was only in the middle of act 2, i would have taken it off of casual difficulty if i were you

Anyway, about Resistance. I think that this game will be very good because of its solid gameplay and multiplayer, that's it though, there doesn't seem to be anything new in the game. I'm still questioning the ability to support 40 players though, how many people have that high of a bandwidth? Some website tested it and said they had 30 people with no lag, but then again how good is there connection? How much could a standard cable conenction deal?

and yeah Fetus, it gets boring in the forums without a little bit o' conflict. I missed you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hopefully as long as people playing have decent connections there shouldn't be too many issues.  I'm used to playing FPS with 20+ people on a server, with the min being 12-16.  Anything lower and I wouldn't bother unless I was desperate or it was a game limitation.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 12 2006, 05:15 PM) View Post

Hopefully as long as people playing have decent connections there shouldn't be too many issues.  I'm used to playing FPS with 20+ people on a server, with the min being 12-16.  

for perfect dark zero i can have 16 players with less than-average lag, i have a good cable connection with 1mbps downloading speed and 3.5mbps bandwidth at its best. I'm seriously doubting that the person with average internet will be able to host 30-40 people.

Anything lower and I wouldn't bother unless I was desperate or it was a game limitation.

do you like gears of war multiplayer?

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »

Anything more then 12 players total becomes a frag fest.  And frag fest = no skills or tactics.  I prefer 3 vs 3 for some good tactics and skills in my FPS.

40+ players for MP.....no thank you.  But i guess it really doesn't matter anyway, because the ps3/ps2 controller is garbage for FPS, and thereby skills wouldn't even be an issue.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Nov 12 2006, 11:16 PM) View Post

Anything more then 12 players total becomes a frag fest.  And frag fest = no skills or tactics.  I prefer 3 vs 3 for some good tactics and skills in my FPS.

40+ players for MP.....no thank you.  But i guess it really doesn't matter anyway, because the ps3/ps2 controller is garbage for FPS, and thereby skills wouldn't even be an issue.

jester.gif

so true

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Nov 12 2006, 11:12 PM) *

for perfect dark zero i can have 16 players with less than-average lag, i have a good cable connection with 1mbps downloading speed and 3.5mbps bandwidth at its best. I'm seriously doubting that the person with average internet will be able to host 30-40 people.
do you like gears of war multiplayer?

I haven't had the chance to play GoW.  I tried to convince my friend to buy it a couple weeks ago and showed him some several clips, but he wasn't having any part of it.  Not his type of game, can't blame him we have similar FPS taste and GoW is a bit more unreal/quake looking over the top, but I'm willing to give it a shot.  I was hoping they would release a demo so the both of us could get a better idea of how it plays.  Even if he had the game he doesn't have live.  He had an account and played COD2 for a bit, but didn't renew his account after it expired.

I played fear quite a bit, tried to stay in the 12-16 servers, but of course played in the less full servers when pushed come to shove.

Who is hosting the games?  I agree that most wouldn't  be able to host, but I thought RFOM had it's own servers.

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 13 2006, 05:14 AM

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Nov 12 2006, 11:16 PM) View Post

40+ players for MP.....no thank you.

Lol, spout out generic gameplay comment.  That number doesn't hold for every FPS.  I've often played 32 in BF1942/DC and I wouldn't say that is anything like frag-fest or fast twitch gameplay.

Well I have different moods, i.e. crazy MP DM and smaller team death match, but the maps in RFOM are said to scale depending on the number of players on a server.  For MOHAA I would play 4v4 or 6v6 teams with no respawn.  Sometimes I would go for simple MP deathmatch.  Either way I always had fun.

Anyway not every server will be 40, if you read the review you'll see; "And while all these opponents made for crazy all-out wars, the multiplayer options are flexible enough to allow users to scale maps downward to accommodate smaller parties (40, 32, 24, 16 map types),".

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 01:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 12 2006, 08:42 PM) View Post

Lol, spout out generic gameplay comment.

LOL, someone who played/plays FPS on the ps2. laugh.gif

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 05:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Nov 13 2006, 04:40 AM) *

LOL, someone who played/plays FPS on the ps2. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

not that one.

this one
Anything more then 12 players total becomes a frag fest. And frag fest = no skills or tactics.

It depends on the game and the map.  That is why I referred to your comment as a generic gameplay comment.

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 13 2006, 01:17 PM

jaygould30

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

1UP had a little different take on this game. Still not a bad score at 8.5 but they didn't seem to praise it as much as the IGN review.

1UP Review

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(jaygould30 @ Nov 13 2006, 03:36 PM) *

1UP had a little different take on this game. Still not a bad score at 8.5 but they didn't seem to praise it as much as the IGN review.

1UP Review

OT:
One thing I like about IGN is that they list review scores from other sites.

Yeah it has nothing to do with the PS3/game or whatever, but I wish more sites did that.

heh haven't read the whole thing, but they didn't seem to like story.  Just goes to show not everybody likes the same thing.  Also says that some of the maps are too large even with 40 players.

I think their conclusion sums it up pretty well:
That's only the beginning of Insomniac's plans: It's no secret that this is intended to be the beginning of a new franchise. And with the list of questions built up even before the sequel-setting ending, the potential for a refined return engagement measures almost off the charts. For now, Resistance falls a little short of being the hoped-for "Halo-killer," but with a package that would be considered complete by any standards, it delivers a launch classic, and it lives up to its billing as the PS3's killer app.

and for somebody like me who didn't care for halo, I never got the whole "halo" killer thing as I like many FPS titles more than halo.  Yes, I know, blasphemy.

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 13 2006, 09:24 PM

jaygould30

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 13 2006, 11:43 AM) View Post

OT:
One thing I like about IGN is that they list review scores from other sites.

Yeah it has nothing to do with the PS3/game or whatever, but I wish more sites did that.

LOL, gamespot does it as well but they take to long to update their scores.

On topic...I respect 1UP's reviewers a lot so I think this score would be more along the lines of my take on the game after playing it.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(jaygould30 @ Nov 13 2006, 08:36 PM) *

1UP Review

They are the same site that gave GoW a perfect 10. I remember watching a recent podcast from them and someone was saying they loved Rfom until they played GoW. GoW raised the bar and it made them like Rfom less. Though its unfair to say that. thats just how it is....

hmm more crummy textures....seems like a trend with ps3 games

This post has been edited by incognegro: Nov 13 2006, 09:36 PM

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Nov 13 2006, 04:00 PM) *

They are the same site that gave GoW a perfect 10. I remember watching a recent podcast from them and someone was saying they loved Rfom until they played GoW. GoW raised the bar and it made them like Rfom less. Though its unfair to say that. thats just how it is....

I have to agree with the guys over at HardOCP.  A perfect 10 means it was a perfect game and it isn't.  Hell I don't think I've ever played a perfect game.
So, is Gears of War a perfect game? No.
Is it a perfect 10? No.
Is Gears of War the best game you’ve played all year? Yes.
Gears of War is a fantastic game in spite of its little flaws and no one can tell you any different. Period.
Looking at the review on 1UP for COD3 and they gave it a 6.5, that's boarder line rental/own in my book.  Other sites, IGN & Gamespot gave it an 8.8.  8.5-9.1, difference in RFOM scores, is pretty close, but 6.5-8.8 is a good bit of distance.

Sorry for getting OT:
Eager to see the rest of the RFOM reviews trickle in.

This post has been edited by silentbob343: Nov 13 2006, 09:47 PM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »

I TOTALLY disagree! A 10 should never mean perfect! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT GAME! It really urks me when i hear stupid stuff like that. Listen games are reviewed (this goes for any credible publication) based on their competition. If gears of wars is the best game in its genre and raises the bar for everything (check anybody that review games and they would say something similar) it deserves a 10. You cannot say a game is perfect cause that is "retarded" im sorry. when 10 is given you're saying there is no game in its class.

1up uses this principle, gamespot uses this principle.....I review games for a living and thats the principle I use. I think it's fair.

How you like a game is dependent on your choice as a gamer, so its like looking for a perfect girl. There is no perfect girl, just a girl thats perfect for you.

This post has been edited by incognegro: Nov 13 2006, 10:25 PM

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Nov 13 2006, 04:55 PM) View Post

I TOTALLY disagree! A 10 should never mean perfect! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT GAME! It really urks me when i hear stupid stuff like that. Listen games are reviewed (this goes for any credible publication) based on their competition. If gears of wars is the best game in its genre and raises the bar for everything (check anybody that review games and they would say something similar) it deserves a 10. You cannot say a game is perfect cause that is "retarded" im sorry. when 10 is given you're saying there is no game in its class.

1up uses this principle, gamespot uses this principle.....I review games for a living and thats the principle I use. I think it's fair.

How you like a game is dependent on your choice as a gamer, so its like looking for a perfect girl. There is no perfect girl, just a girl thats perfect for you.

I agree there aren't too many great games in the over-the-shoulder shooter genre. wink.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3