xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Genji To Install 4gb Of Data On Hdd....  (Read 206 times)

NicoBech

• Archived User
Genji To Install 4gb Of Data On Hdd....
« on: October 21, 2006, 03:48:00 AM »

Link to joystiq

So if they start doing this with every other game.. then 20gb isn't that much... or 60gb for that matter...

"geee.... I have 12 PS3 games.... and I want this new one coming out tommorow... but no more space on my HDD....."

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 03:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(NicoBech @ Oct 21 2006, 05:19 AM) View Post

Link to joystiq

So if they start doing this with every other game.. then 20gb isn't that much... or 60gb for that matter...

"geee.... I have 12 PS3 games.... and I want this new one coming out tommorow... but no more space on my HDD....."

That was a big reason for the excitement over the phony 100GB 360 drive, i.e.  FFXI takes 5GB by itself.  Again, I wish both MS and Sony would have used 3.5" HDDs.  I know why they didn't and it makes sense from their perspective, but still...

NicoBech

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 03:35:00 AM »

and while we're at it.. a little rumour.

UK price rumor

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 05:30:00 AM »

Well, I just read that the install isn't mandatory so not too bad.
What's this all about? Totilo writes, "Also unexpected was a feature in Genji to install the game, committing 4GB of data from the game's Blu-ray disc to the PS3's hard drive -- a three-minute one-time-only procedure available from the game's start menu that a Sony rep said cuts down in-game load times from about 15 seconds to four seconds."

So, regardless of the debate about the relative read speeds of 2x Blu-ray drives and 12x DVD drives, we can all recognize the obvious benefits of having a hard drive included by default. Why Genji appears to be the only title sporting this option is another question. Did excessive load times in the PS3's first finished title necessitate extraordinary measures, or will most games offer this time-saving option, à la PC games.

NicoBech

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 05:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Oct 21 2006, 01:01 PM) View Post

Well, I just read that the install isn't mandatory so not too bad.

missed that one... woops....  beerchug.gif

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 05:44:00 AM »

According to IGN full auto uses 1.7gb on the demo units, VF5 also uses a chunk of HDD space. And the demo unit that they used at the  SCE's Gamers Day showed 43gb in use.

VF5 I guess uses something like genji does.

"the game required a short cache load-up before running ... after which, it ran lickety-split from character to character"

This post has been edited by Pheidias: Oct 21 2006, 12:46 PM

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »

The average consumer doesn't buy 12 games. Plus, if you have 12 I am sure you will have beat at least 1 of them and you could always delete the unnecessary information.

NicoBech

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Oct 21 2006, 03:05 PM) *

The average consumer doesn't buy 12 games. Plus, if you have 12 I am sure you will have beat at least 1 of them and you could always delete the unnecessary information.

over the console's lifespan?... Sony have stated that they are going for a 10year lifespan of the ps3... over 10 years i could easily see the average consumer buying 12 games.....they should go for a cache of the HDD instead of an install...

and btw... that comment I made..... I was being sarcastic.....

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(NicoBech @ Oct 21 2006, 09:29 AM) *

over the console's lifespan?... Sony have stated that they are going for a 10year lifespan of the ps3... over 10 years i could easily see the average consumer buying 12 games.....they should go for a cache of the HDD instead of an install...

Historically, over the life of a console the attach rate is less than 10. And, this Gen is expected to be even lower because of the higher cost of a single game.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9618
Also, you have the option to cache or install. Whichever you wish.

This post has been edited by throwingks: Oct 21 2006, 03:08 PM

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(NicoBech @ Oct 21 2006, 09:29 AM) *

You also have to look at where we are.  We are members of a videogame forum, that tell us we are not the avg. gamer.  I would hope that anyone spending the money on a system would buy more than 10 games, but I can see people that don't.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »

Atleast we have an option to help alleviate load times a little. wink.gif