xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cell Not Up To Task?  (Read 252 times)

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:28:00 AM »

http://pc.ign.com/ar...6/736396p1.html

While the PlayStation 3 and 360 versions of Assassin's Creed are virtually identical, Raymond did say that on the 360 the team is putting a special emphasis on achievements. The hardware also allows for improved threading, which will improve even further the crowd AI.

I am taking this with a grain of salt since they have had more time with 360 dev kits than PS3 kits. I would not be surprised at all if it is true though.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(thepissedoffman @ Sep 29 2006, 02:35 PM) View Post

http://pc.ign.com/ar...6/736396p1.html
I am taking this with a grain of salt since they have had more time with 360 dev kits than PS3 kits. I would not be surprised at all if it is true though.

It's no big secret the Cell is a lot harder to code for than the 360's IBM. I wonder how much of this is going to contribute to future games being 'less' on the PS3?

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Sep 29 2006, 10:51 AM) View Post

It's no big secret the Cell is a lot harder to code for than the 360's IBM. I wonder how much of this is going to contribute to future games being 'less' on the PS3?

The thing is that devs are just now able to benchmark and test these two CPUs at the same time. Before a few months ago all people could do was guess how the Cell would perform based on technical specifications. I have taken a class where all we did was calculate the performance of computer hardware based on specs. The one thing that was told to me over and over again in that class was that you can never fully predict how something will perform you can only guess.

It will be interesting, to me at least because I am a dork, to see what CPU turns out to be the more powerful solution.

incognegro

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »

it has been said that AI on the ps3 will be alot harder to code than 360 before.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »

this is to be expected and has been known for a while now.  with the lack of features like branch prediction (something AI uses) the developers can make AI just as impressive but they have to develop around the right environment of the SPEs.  

all this tells me is that their AI code is not adapting as well on the SPEs as it is on the Xenon.  it has been discussed many times that the ps3's lack of features will effect aspects of games such as AI, its not that its not up to the task, its just not designed very well for traditional game development.  right here could be the proof.

m_hael

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

this very small comment has been taken WAY out of context.

that improved threading on 360 allowed them to improve the crowd AI does NOT imply that threading on ps3 is BAD.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Sep 29 2006, 12:33 PM) View Post

this very small comment has been taken WAY out of context.

that improved threading on 360 allowed them to improve the crowd AI does NOT imply that threading on ps3 is BAD.

whoever said that the threading on the ps3 was bad?  i honestly thought they were comparable.

Deftech

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 smile.gif
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

"We're building a superior games experience, not a blunt object to win a high-definition movie war." -Peter Moore-

oops, how'd that get in there?

rolleyes.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »

speaking of AI, im currently in a debate at work with a tool who is saying that "all game control, ai, scripting will need stay on the ps3's ppe because the spe aren't fit for running"

i could have sworn i read somewhere that you can develop AI and such for the SPEs as long as you work within the environment.  now he's telling me that majority of the game code runs only on the ppe, this makes no sense to me.  whats the point of the spe's then?  he acts as though they are only good for physics, collision, animation, sound etc.  

i know that the spes are limited in conventional game development but i thought as long as you work/develop specifically for the SPE it should be able to do most things just not efficiently

m_hael

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »

the spe's are this

very fast execution unit
very fast memory
very little memory
dma access between main & spe memory.

based on this ANY code can be run on the spe's but the memory that code accesses need to be resident before access. How that residency is achieved is up to the programmer.

AI typically accesses a LOT of memory... so if a programmer does not want to change his ways then he might decide to NOT run AI on the spe's.

the spe's themselves are not the bottleneck, they're simply the mould.

redwolf

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

IPB Image

^thought this video is quite funny  tongue.gif

Jade Raymond bashing the Xbox360
  happy.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »

I guess I dont have the same kind of humor

KAGE360

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Sep 29 2006, 04:28 PM) View Post

the spe's are this

very fast execution unit
very fast memory
very little memory
dma access between main & spe memory.
based on this ANY code can be run on the spe's but the memory that code accesses need to be resident before access. How that residency is achieved is up to the programmer.

AI typically accesses a LOT of memory... so if a programmer does not want to change his ways then he might decide to NOT run AI on the spe's.

the spe's themselves are not the bottleneck, they're simply the mould.

thank you  smile.gif

redwolf

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Sep 29 2006, 09:45 PM) View Post

I guess I dont have the same kind of humor

Xbox fan boy   happy.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Cell Not Up To Task?
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

yes, thats it

otherwise Id be laughing at a very funny video that took someone 2 seconds to put together, what a comical masterpiece   rolleyes.gif

Pages: [1] 2