xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About Region-free  (Read 173 times)

incognegro

• Archived User
Question About Region-free
« on: September 28, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Shikamaru @ Sep 28 2006, 05:05 PM) View Post

Upon reading the region free artiicle was wondering if i bought a ps3 from america would i be able to play online games with Uk players? or just people from america/others who have american ps3's.

ph34r.gif

Only sony knows that at this point....

VariableElite

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Sep 28 2006, 11:07 AM) View Post

Only sony knows that at this point....

From what I've heard, even they may not know just yet...

laugh.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »

i think all restriction are determined by the developers, just like with the 360.  

cr4ck3rj4ck

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »

i think all restriction are determined by the developers, just like with the 360.

...although even this remains as speculation.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Sep 28 2006, 01:38 PM) View Post

It sounds like he wasn't really asking about region encoding so much as playing online against people from other regions... which isn't really based on region encoding so much as how the online network is created....

so yeah no one really knows, though it sounds like Sony hasn't got it completely squared away yet seeing as a few major multiplayer titles so far will have no online support (Tony Hawk Project 8 and Virtua Tennis 3 come to mind). The rumor is they don't have online support because Sony hasn't fully figured it out yet.

cr4ck3rj4ck

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »

because Sony hasn't fully figured it out yet.

pathetic if you ask me, considering we are less than 2 months from launch.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 28 2006, 01:41 PM) View Post

It sounds like he wasn't really asking about region encoding so much as playing online against people from other regions... which isn't really based on region encoding so much as how the online network is created....

so yeah no one really knows, though it sounds like Sony hasn't got it completely squared away yet seeing as a few major multiplayer titles so far will have no online support (Tony Hawk Project 8 and Virtua Tennis 3 come to mind). The rumor is they don't have online support because Sony hasn't fully figured it out yet.

im sorry that is what i was trying to refer to.  i was actually speaking on any kind of region restrictions in general.  both with game playing and online play.  isnt it up to the developers if they want their game to be played either in the local region or worldwide?  i thought i read somewhere that this was the plan for the ps3's online plan.  could be wrong though.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »

That's a good question, Every Xbox 360 game I've played on Xbox Live has let me play against anyone from around the world, though some have given me the option to restrict it to particular languages or regions if I so desire.

I would assume the PSN would work the same way but it's all just fancy guesses.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »

this is terrible

less than 2 months til launch date and we STILL dont know things about the PS3 that we should.

pathetic