xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Truth About Ps3 And 1080p?  (Read 97 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
The Truth About Ps3 And 1080p?
« on: September 22, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »

Don't let the new coat of polish fool you, just go by the title. Devil May Cry 4 is the fourth title in the relatively young series and, as a result, feels neither new nor exciting. You perform your combos, kill the baddies, collect some orbs, and repeat. The good news is that it's playable here at TGS, as opposed to the real time footage we feared.

While the environments are nicely detailed and the architecture appropriately atmospheric, the characters leave something to be desired. Dante Nero felt particularly clumsy in this build, going from a standstill to a full sprint with almost no transitional animation, a far cry form the series trademark fluidity. The enemies were also repetitive and uninspired and, perhaps due to the controller's lack of rumble, pounding on them lacked the visceral oomph the series is known for. The experience felt particularly detached.

The game did look good but, interestingly, after a brief system crash (hey, this is beta software after all), the Sony television display (the same one with the "Full 1080" sticker on the front) revealed this particular PS3 demo was running at a not-true and not-full 720p.

http://www.joystiq.c...-may-cry-4-ps3/

now i wonder if this is how it is for most games that are supposed to be "1080p". i have always commented on how every 1080p game always describes it as "supports" but never anything about native or internal resolutions. all 360 games will "support" 1080p after the update but are actually rendered at 720p/1080i. DMC4 is labeled as 1080p but is revealed to internally be 720p.

also in relation to the other post, it is impossible to get 1080p at 60fps.  i really hope that magazine publishers and internet sites blow the roof off of this debate when they review the games like they did with PGR3.

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »

where was DMC4 labelled as 1080p? I think the author assumed it was 1080p due to the TV that it was used to play on.  I don't even think we have info like that in the 1st place.  Btw, I was sorely disappointed that review sites left out the little blunder, I was attempting to read more into it and why people were saying it was upscaled, yet none of the reviewers caught it.  Shame.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 22 2006, 01:09 PM) View Post

where was DMC4 labelled as 1080p? I think the author assumed it was 1080p due to the TV that it was used to play on.  I don't even think we have info like that in the 1st place.  Btw, I was sorely disappointed that review sites left out the little blunder, I was attempting to read more into it and why people were saying it was upscaled, yet none of the reviewers caught it.  Shame.

huh?  what review sites are you talking about and for what game?  maybe i can clear up any confusion you may have.