xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most games wont support 1080p  (Read 250 times)

lex_luther23

• Archived User
Most games wont support 1080p
« on: September 06, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

PlayStation 3 1080p Games a Long Way Off  Article posted by XanTium | 6-9-2006 18:07 | Permalink » Comment article

From spong.com:

According to reports cropping up on various sites today, Sony's PlayStation 3 launch range is unlikely to feature any software running at the high-definition 'Holy Grail' standard of 1080p, with SCEE representatives seemingly confirming Gran Turismo HD is the only title running at top spec.

Sony deflected fire last week with the mention that both PlayStation 3 hardware variants will support 1080p. Although HDMI cables would not be bundled, 1080p via preferable, and certainly more common component cables, was possible from both machines.

Read More: spong.com

DragoNs

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »

I don't even think many people give a damn if this system has 1080p games. 720p/1080i is fine... personally i couldnt give a crap if it had 1080p or not, its expensive, doesnt even look a whole lot better, and its something for the future not now.... i want this system for certain games, not the 1080p..

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Sep 6 2006, 03:44 PM) View Post

I don't even think many people give a damn if this system has 1080p games. 720p/1080i is fine... personally i couldnt give a crap if it had 1080p or not, its expensive, doesnt even look a whole lot better, and its something for the future not now.... i want this system for certain games, not the 1080p..

For those such as i who have the TV to support true 1080p it is a blow to us.  That was the main reason for me getting a ps3.  Although i knew it was unlikely, i still had hope.

QUOTE(nickthegreat @ Sep 6 2006, 04:54 PM) View Post

EDIT; only a massive fanboy would have believed nextgen games were to be displayed @1080p anyway.

Like 99.9% of the people on the ps3forums.com site. laugh.gif

DragoNs

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Sep 6 2006, 08:09 PM) View Post

For those such as i who have the TV to support true 1080p it is a blow to us.  That was the main reason for me getting a ps3.  Although i knew it was unlikely, i still had hope.

Id like to know what your true 1080p TV is. Also... you shouldn't buy a system for 1080p LOL, thats the stupidest thing anyone could possibly ever say... *this system has 1080p but games i dont even like, so lets buy it*, that would be just stupidity

lex_luther23

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Sep 6 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

Id like to know what your true 1080p TV is. Also... you shouldn't buy a system for 1080p LOL, thats the stupidest thing anyone could possibly ever say... *this system has 1080p but games i dont even like, so lets buy it*, that would be just stupidity

Its not foe hammer's fault Soe promissed 1080p games and he was hoping AND EXPECTING that the system took advange of his Tv as SOE has been bragging about for almost a year now!! i see nothing wrong with that. Thats like micorsoft telling us that 360 is going to support 720p and IT DOES and a gamer going out to buy a tv that supports 720p so he can enjoy it and then at 2 months before launch saying.....wERE sorry our games at this point in time arent going to support 720p HOW FUCKED UP WOULD THAT BE!!
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
The ps3 is starting to bee seen whats truly going to be this always happens with sony they will talk that big talk for about a year before the system comes out and will promisse you the system will have this it will have that and as the months pass they strip and strip more of their bullshit away all it is SONY GAS they make it look like the system is going to be god to get you to hold on to your almight dollar instead of buy a system from it's competition with the customer thinking that the system is going to have more to offer and in truth it don't.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Sep 6 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

i read an article a while back that if a 1080i hdtv is interlaced (or something like that) correctly, then you can't really tell the difference from a 1080p tv and a 1080i tv

any truth to this?

DragoNs

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(lex_luther23 @ Sep 6 2006, 09:11 PM) View Post

Its not foe hammer's fault Soe promissed 1080p games and he was hoping AND EXPECTING that the system took advange of his Tv as SOE has been bragging about for almost a year now!! i see nothing wrong with that. Thats like micorsoft telling us that 360 is going to support 720p and IT DOES and a gamer going out to buy a tv that supports 720p so he can enjoy it and then at 2 months before launch saying.....wERE sorry our games at this point in time arent going to support 720p HOW FUCKED UP WOULD THAT BE!!

Anyone who goes and spends money on a TV just for a system that might not even have what they want is stupid, why would you listen to a company before its released, don't do a major purchuse untill you know 100% its coming out like that, ie when the system is actaully released. thats like saying, a company saying say.... EA said battlefield 2 was coming out for PS3 but it wasn't coming out till Q3 2007, so you bought the PS3 in november just to be prepared for that one game, and they cancel the game, you have to think ahead in your purchuses, dont run into things unless your a moron.

QUOTE(Mr Invader @ Sep 6 2006, 09:32 PM)

i read an article a while back that if a 1080i hdtv is interlaced (or something like that) correctly, then you can't really tell the difference from a 1080p tv and a 1080i tv

any truth to this?

1080i is interlaced, and 1080p is progressive, the 1080p runs at a higher FPS, ive seen a comparison display in futureshop, to be honest, you can notice a little bit of a differnace, not enough for me to pay almost double the cost of what my TV was. for that, stupid, completely stupid untill the prices drop and theres more things demanding it.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Sep 6 2006, 06:13 PM) View Post

Well, it's actually a sony 24" widescreen CRT monitor that can go well above 1080p30: 1920x1080 @ 30fps.  Its max res is: 2048x1536.

So hell yes i wanted to have a console that could play nextgen games in true 1080p.  Although i knew it was unlikely, i still hope/hoped it happens.  And of course there are a few sony exclusives i'm looking forward to playing on the ps3.  These hopeful sequals are: god of war, shadow of the collossi, OCI.  Currently resistance is the only exclusive ps3 launch game that has me interested.  Where did i ever mention that i did not like any of the games?  But the 1080p support is what most interested me.

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Sep 6 2006, 08:07 PM) View Post

1080i is interlaced, and 1080p is progressive, the 1080p runs at a higher FPS, ive seen a comparison display in futureshop, to be honest, you can notice a little bit of a differnace, not enough for me to pay almost double the cost of what my TV was. for that, stupid, completely stupid untill the prices drop and theres more things demanding it.

I tell you what is stupid, is when people talk out their ass.  1080p does not run at a higher FPS then 1080i.  1080i is either 1080i30 or 1080i60….30 and 60 fps.  Currently there is only 1080p30….30fps.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »

I think it's perfectly acceptable for someone to make a purchase decision based on what some future product is supposedly capable of. It's called Future-proofing and it happens quite frequently.

If you're in the market for a new TV Today, you expect that TV to last you at least a good 5 to 10 years right? If you know that in the next year, or even the next two years you'll be buying some game device or some movie playing device, that can definitely factor into your decision as to which TV you buy. Knowing that the Xbox 360 will use component cables and output in 720p will lead you to want to buy a TV that can handle those things, likewise if you're planning on eventually getting a PS3 you'll want to buy a TV that supports 1080p and HDMI. If you're already in the market for a new TV these decisions typically only cost a little extra now, and ensure that you'll have the best possible experience down the road.

Game conferences and press releases happen to inform consumers of the products capabilities so that when the product finally does come out the consumer knows what to expect. Sometimes things can change, business decisions get made, and that's fine; but it's the product maker's responsibility to inform the consumer of these changes. I'm not talking legal responsibility, just a moral responsibility to the consumers, it's the right thing to do.

I think a lot of consumers and developers alike had an inkling that 1080p was too ambitious a resolution for most games to run at. But there are still a vast majority that aren't technically inclined enough to make that kind of assessment on their own, and so they must rely on the word of the product maker to deliver what they promise.

Whether you believe it or not these next gen consoles are driving a whole lot of HDTV sales, a lot more then HD Cable and the new Blue Laser formats have been. I can't remember the article but it was on the XS news page a few months back, citing that the launch of the Xbox 360 saw HDTV sales double and maintain a higher sales rate with people citing their reason for buying such a TV was to fully utilize their new console. I would imagine that the anticipation and eventual release of the PS3 will do the same thing, people who are in the market now are buying them planning on using it with their PS3 console and even more people will buy one after they get a PS3. You'd be a fool to think that you wouldn't keep the PS3 in mind when spacing out a new TV if you were buying one today.

Personally I'm still skeptical that GTV will even deliver at true 1080p. GT4 supposedly supported 1080i on the PS2, however it was really just faked, a higher resolution means nothing if it's being artificially pumped up to that resolution. PGR3 only renders at 1024x600 instead of true 720p, it looks pretty good but not as good as it could look, and I think the fact that it's not really 720p disappointed a whole lot of people. Another worry is that they might be demanding the developers deliver at that resolution, meaning other game graphics might suffer (lower res textures, lower polly count etc) so that the system can handle that resolutions. A number of Xbox 1 games supported 1080i but most of them looked like crap simply because the added resolution didn't make up for the low poly count and crappy textures. Here's hoping GTV TRULY delivers at 1080p without any kind of integral faking of the signal or without any sort of graphical loss to accomplish it.

Even if none of the games deliver at 1080p, Blue-Ray discs will, and you'll probably be able to upscale regular DVDs to 1080p as well. So if you're planing on buying your PS3 for BRD as well as the games then a 1080p would be worthwhile regardless of what the games render at.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

even if sony states that GTHD runs at 1080p, i wont believe it until the reviews are in.  hopefully reviewers will be as honest with the ps3 as they were with the 360 when they revealed that PGR3 doesnt run at 720p.  seeing as how they are not known for their honesty and they lied once about GT4, who's to say they wont repeat the same with GTHD?  also most of the people were too busy trying to keep themselves awake during the GTHD demo to notice that the ps2 port had a lot of effects taken out of the game (dust, smoke, particle effects) which again makes me question what point they were trying to prove with showing that boring garbage.  

also we have the resistence developers dodging the bullet when asked what resolution their game runs at.  they answer that it will be "compatible" with all resolutions including 1080p which is leading people to believe that it runs at 1080p.  compatible is not the same thing as running natively in the frame buffer.  the 360 with the component and VGA cable is "compatible" with many different resolutions, but that doesnt mean that is the native resolution of the game itself.  

between the 22gig joke and the flaky answers on the resolution, im starting to think sony is paying them extra to spew the same jibberish we've come to expect from sony

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

Yes, i hope those with the means will double check sony and their claimed 1080p games when and if the do come out.  I want to know the truth, and not the sony run-around.  It will really piss me off if sony releases 1080p games that are not true 1080p games, but try to pass it off as such just to say, "we told you so".

lex_luther23

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 01:29:00 AM »

This whole thing has made me re think on buying one all togather. I knew sony lied alot and always promissed these big ass features but as it gets closer to launch on the ps3 like the ps2 before it more and more is being stripped away and the promisses are being broken once again. They lie so fucking much who truly knows just how bad this is and is going to be. I have $800 put back for ps3 that was including a game and some other stuff that may be needed but after all that i read and all the fucking lies i think im going to hold on to my money to see how all this pans out. I'm really worryed this maybe Sega saturn all over again it has the same smell that system had just like 3DO did as well!! Over priced console and hard to program for a dev hater!! Media their saying that could range from $60-80 bucks a game. Who knows whats going to happen this is a big fucking gamble on this system if you guy it and it flops then your out of your money thats what happend with saturn and 3d0.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 01:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(lex_luther23 @ Sep 8 2006, 01:36 AM) View Post

This whole thing has made me re think on buying one all togather. I knew sony lied alot and always promissed these big ass features but as it gets closer to launch on the ps3 like the ps2 before it more and more is being stripped away and the promisses are being broken once again. They lie so fucking much who truly knows just how bad this is and is going to be. I have $800 put back for ps3 that was including a game and some other stuff that may be needed but after all that i read and all the fucking lies i think im going to hold on to my money to see how all this pans out. I'm really worryed this maybe Sega saturn all over again it has the same smell that system had just like 3DO did as well!! Over priced console and hard to program for a dev hater!! Media their saying that could range from $60-80 bucks a game. Who knows whats going to happen this is a big fucking gamble on this system if you guy it and it flops then your out of your money thats what happend with saturn and 3d0.

Whatcha talkin about foo!?  tongue.gif   I love/d the Saturn and it has given me many hours of satisfaction, and i still play tell this day (panzer dragoon orta, astal, mmm....).  And while it bombed here in the states, it was the 'hardcore' console of choice.

I see what you are saying, though, and i too probably will not be getting a ps3 at launch (it's not worth the hassle, and one good launch game doesn't cut it neither).  I probably wait until some of the good exclusives come out, and by then hopefully the premium systems price will have dropped $100.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 05:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Sep 8 2006, 04:06 AM) View Post

Whatcha talkin about foo!?  tongue.gif   I love/d the Saturn and it has given me many hours of satisfaction, and i still play tell this day (panzer dragoon orta, astal, mmm....).  And while it bombed here in the states, it was the 'hardcore' console of choice....

Saturn FTW!

I was actually playing some VO Cybertroopers last night beerchug.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Sep 8 2006, 04:06 AM) View Post

Whatcha talkin about foo!?  tongue.gif   I love/d the Saturn and it has given me many hours of satisfaction, and i still play tell this day (panzer dragoon orta, astal, mmm....).  And while it bombed here in the states, it was the 'hardcore' console of choice.

I see what you are saying, though, and i too probably will not be getting a ps3 at launch (it's not worth the hassle, and one good launch game doesn't cut it neither).  I probably wait until some of the good exclusives come out, and by then hopefully the premium systems price will have dropped $100.

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 8 2006, 07:25 AM) View Post

Saturn FTW!

I was actually playing some VO Cybertroopers last night beerchug.gif

the saturn rocked!!  i had so many games for that system and loved every one.  i remember spending many hours playing VO on the netlink along with sega rally and duke nukem with deftech.  

to this day i am still trying to convince someone i know to sell me his saturn/games.  he has panzer dragoon saga which is still one of the best RPGs i have ever played.
Pages: [1] 2