xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution Officially Renamed 'wii'  (Read 2008 times)

cyberg4

• Archived User
Nintendo Revolution Officially Renamed 'wii'
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

Even excluding the continuation of sexual jokes that can be made from the name of Nintendo's consoles (Gaycube --> Wii) the name Wii just sounds weak (or wiik if you prefer).  Nintendo Revolution was a solid name, the best name out of any of the next gen consoles, butt Wii?!?!?  just makes it sound like a plastic toy for 3 year olds,  oh well, if they aren't all that expensive I may still end up with one.

Giacecco

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »

The Nintendo marketing guys forgot to add the interpretation coming from reading "Wii" as "double you double I"... it's hyper-individualism!!! It's not "we" at all!  biggrin.gif

Giacecco

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »

The name of a console shouldn't affect sales, but how they choose to market it will.  I am very curious how the "Wii" brand, name, and logo will look (besides what the short "video" on their webpage offers).  What an odd name choice - we all know that Nintendo is very different and really doesn't have much to lose with their next console.  Silly name, we'll see how it works for them...

SpIdErXeN

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »

Well, it's official, Europe and the West think the Wii is a horrible name, now all we need is for the Japanese to start flaming it too, and I'm sure it will be changed. BTW, does anybody know what they think so far?

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

I can see it now. Little kids everywhere are gonna say "Hey, can I play with your wii?"  blink.gif

Screw that, someone has been smoking too much wii'd.  tongue.gif

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kthulu @ Apr 27 2006, 10:24 PM) View Post

if you believe in and love something called 'wii' it shows:
1.  just how naive/young you are
2.  just how gay you are

wii is very similar to wwii (WWII)(World War II)...just to answer the 1940 war question

when this console comes out and is a huge success, come back and tell us how ignorant wii are.

Haha i thought i was the only one thinks of WWII whenever i see Wii.

screw you nintendo, being dutch my people had to endure a lot of shit during the war,
where were you guys? why werent you helping us?

oh wait..

nevermind.

Man with such a backlash about a name they'd be idiots not to rename their console to something else.

DrTek

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »

resistance is wiitile

italianiceag

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(VampX @ Apr 27 2006, 10:48 PM) View Post

Haha i thought i was the only one thinks of WWII whenever i see Wii.

screw you nintendo, being dutch my people had to endure a lot of shit during the war,
where were you guys? why werent you helping us?

oh wait..

nevermind.

Man with such a backlash about a name they'd be idiots not to rename their console to something else.

Lmao  laugh.gif

No doubt. A japanese company putting out a name that can be misconstrued with WWII?? Bad idea if you ask me.

It'd be like seeing the (German made) Volvo Wii come out.

And as someone else noted, the Nintendo Revolution was a cool name, didn't they give some B.S. about how all their consoles have been a circle to this point or we're back to the beginning, some sh*t like that?

radio5

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(794 @ Apr 27 2006, 04:39 PM) View Post

The name of a console shouldn't affect sales, but how they choose to market it will.  I am very curious how the "Wii" brand, name, and logo will look (besides what the short "video" on their webpage offers).  What an odd name choice - we all know that Nintendo is very different and really doesn't have much to lose with their next console.  Silly name, we'll see how it works for them...

I have to disagree. I think Nintendo has everything to lose with their next console. I think we can all agree that the Gamecube pretty much flopped, due once again to Nintendo's treatment of third party developer and a lack of games from Nintendo themselves. Yes, yes- they certainly had a few gems out there but hardly enough to call the Gamecube a success, in my opinion. I mean, what have they given us in the last year?.... .....................    *crickets chirping*
Don't get me wrong. I love nintendo. I'm 28 and started playing it when it first came out.... mario, metroid, zelda...  blink.gif  (Oh, yeah. The only jewels in gamecubes library. Originality? Something new!   *crickets chirping*
But Nintendo has this one chance to upright their sinking ship or, mark my words, they will go the way of Sega and simply be a software developer, which maybe won't be that bad at all. And with this latest development, I don't see any way to avoid that conclusion.

italianiceag

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

why is it "official" that people dont like the name when your basing this of what an xbox forum says?  unsure.gif

if anything nintendo is more hated here than sony.

Brouhaha

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »

In the end, it's all about gameplay. Even if it has a silly, pipi, kiddie, etc. name like Wii, have a look at this screenshot of Red Steel, an exclusive from Ubi.

While Halo 3 will probably have incredible graphics, you won't be able to turn your hand sideways to pop heads "gangsta style"  tongue.gif

Andy Hewitt

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2006, 04:34:00 PM »

Well, the name probably means nothing in Japan and will sell in its millions and outsell the 360 by 50:1 ratio.

I'm sure Mr Nintendo is really bothered what a few million people in English speaking countries think when he brings out "Zelda Wii" and 25 Million consoles get sold overnight.

Although it doesn't look too bad is you use the name as a visual tool
Heres Nintendo's Video explaining the name.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

deacon187

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »

i wasnt planning on buying one anyway but "The Nintendo Wii" sounds stupida as hell.  i mean revolution makes sense, NES SNES N64 NGC now NRevo, i know it doesnt make a difference what its called if the games are enjoyable but still, the name is Wiilly Stupid

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(atomiX @ Apr 27 2006, 11:59 PM) View Post

but as they say, any publicity is good publicity.

Man that cliche lost its meaning when the internet apeared,

Back in the day when we still had Black&White Tv's every publicity was good publicity,
these days you gotta take things for what they are.

And what it is is that we are making fun of Nintendo's new console name, nothing good about bad publicity.

I often compare stuff to wrestling, see when Vince McMahon (most prowafull man in wrassling) hates you,
then he will make you pay by making you do stupid shit like wearing polka dots or making you wear a big longhaired wig.

now do you think these wrestlers will think of that as good publicity? hardly!
they will be fired soon and then nobody wants to book them since they are now known for stupid sketches.

Nintendo you are wearing polka dots.

IPB Image

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »

I don't really like the name, and I wish they would have kept the name Revolution. BUT, regardless of the name, i am still getting one, because I know that I will have a ton of fun playing all the games.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9