xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Play Multi Player With Only One Game  (Read 58 times)

muggs1

• Archived User
Play Multi Player With Only One Game
« on: May 03, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »

Play Most Ad-Hoc (2-8 Player) Games MultiPlayer With One UMD
Alright, of course everyone knows about using the method now known as 'UMD Swapping' for playing Ad-Hoc games with only one UMD. But out of all the tutorials I've read none of them tell how to do this with Twisted Metal. Guess what? The UMD Swapping method used for Ridge Racer, and other games of the sort, doesn't work with Twisted Metal. But today, I discovered, while trying to play multiplayer on Twisted Metal, that it is possible. Read it and weap (in joy):

1. The host (Player 1) starts Twisted Metal, chooses Multiplayer, then Ad-Hoc Mode. Player 1 then creates and sets up a game (vehicle, level, time limit, etc, etc.) Player 1 then launches the game.

2. When Player 1's game has loaded, and the car is displayed, eject the UMD and load it into Player 2's PSP. Player 2 then goes to Multiplayer, Ad-Hoc, Player 2 then chooses the game that Player 1 is hosting (if you've done everything right so far, Player 1's game should show up, even though Player 1 is already in the game.) After Player 2 picks their car, ect, join the game.

3. Now it gets a bit tricky. The loading screen should come up for Player 2, after the green loading bar has reached the top of the loading meter, count to about 5-8 seconds, or after the music begins to play. (The music would be your best bet, but it doesn't always start playing.) After the 5-8 seconds have passed, or the music has begun, Player 2 then ejects the UMD, and it is inserted back into Player 1's PSP. A few seconds later Player 2 should join the game. Simple. Notice, this is different for other games because when using UMD Swapping with them, Player 1 never gets the UMD back, but in Twisted Metal, for some reason the host needs the UMD at the beginning of the match. (Maybe the Twisted Metal team foreseen the UMD Swapping problem and tried to prevent it? )

Troubleshooting: When trying this earlier I noticed that depending on the time that Player 2 ejects the UMD on the loading screen determines if they will be able to connect or not. If on the first try Player 2 can't connect, just try again. It never took me more than 2 attempts to get it.

Enjoy.

muggs