xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ram Trouble  (Read 142 times)

shenmuemaster

• Archived User
Ram Trouble
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »

Im having BSOD issues with the new computer i built when attempting to boot with 6GB of RAM

Im using Vista Ultimate x64, and 2x2GB sticks and 2x1GB sticks of OCZ PC2 6400 800Mhz RAM (SLI Ready editions)

The RAM is installed as so: the 2 GB sticks are placed in the DIMM_A 1 and DIMM_B 1 sockets, and the 1 GB sticks in the DIMM_A 2 and DIMM_B 2 sockets (is this the correct way to set up the RAM using all 4 slots?)

I have an ASUS M3A32 MVP Deluxe motherboard (which allows up to 8GB RAM) with the latest BIOS installed, and Vista has all the necessary updates installed incl SP1.

Everytime I try and boot vista with the 6GB RAM installed, after the green bar screen, it would present a BSOD and the comp will reboot automatically, this also happens when trying to boot in safe mode.

I have also checked if any of the RAM is faulty, however under memory tests it shows that none of the sticks have any problems. Secondly vista will boot if only one of the any sticks are installed, and if 2 sticks of the same memory size are installed (2x2GB or the 2x1GB sticks)

Basically ive tried all RAM combinations, and when I try to mix the 2GB with the 1GB i get a BSOD when booting Vista.

I have searched the internet, desperately looking for solutions (and trying them) but no luck in fixing the issue  grr.gif

Can anyone help me at all? Im nearly tearing my hair out mad.gif

P.S Could the RAM timings have something to do with it? The 2GB sticks are 5-4-4 whilst the 1GB sticks are 4-4-4?

RiceCake

• Archived User
Ram Trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »

If RAM tests (eg; MemTest86+) pass with all the RAM installed I don't see it being a timing issue.

Hard to say but I'll scrounge around for a solution.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Ram Trouble
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »

Why did you put sli ram in a crossfire mobo?  I am not saying thats your problem, it just seems a waste.

Make sure in the bios that the ram voltage is set high enough (2.1-2.2v), and turn off the autoreboot feature in vista so you can see the error on the blue screen.

and make sure the matched ram is in the matched colored slots, as in a 2g in both yellow slots and your 1 g in both black slots.

RiceCake

• Archived User
Ram Trouble
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:54:00 AM »

Bah, SLI Ready is marketing jargon for "we threw a stick in an SLI motherboard and it worked".
So don't stress that "feature"...

shenmuemaster

• Archived User
Ram Trouble
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »

Yeah the RAM is set up with both 2GB in the yellow and both 1GB in the black

Secondly I had bought the SLI RAM when i had an SLI board, but I bought a new ATI board and thought why waste money on RAM when I already had some. OCZ i think do a crossfire edition, but then again its just a stupid gimmick, its the same RAM underneath the logo  dry.gif

I'll check the bios to see the voltages, both require 2.1V I believe

Furthermore I'll disable the automatic reboot so that I can check the blue screen error..

When I was trying to install XP Pro x64 on the other hand with all the RAM installed, it got past the blue diagnostic screen, and just before selecting the HDD to install windows on it gave me BSOD, with the error code 0x0000007B which I believe is a HDD error, but i believe this was because I was using a 1TB SATA HDD, and that i would need to install drivers for. Is this correct?

I really need help with this, cos I'm thinkin of going out an buying some new RAM (8GB pack) all the same make etc. but before I do that I reli wanna kno if this problem is rectifiable?

Cheers

shenmuemaster

• Archived User
Ram Trouble
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »

When I mentioned before that I ran memory tests, i had used the windows memory diagnostic tool, so im going to run memtest86 to check for errors to be certain that the RAM isnt faulty

Here is the exact BSOD i get:

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFA6000FB360B, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

*** ecache.sys - Address FFFFFA6000FB360B base at FFFFFA6000FAB000, DateStamp 4791990F

update: Now Im getting a different BSOD: DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error code 0x000000D1

Any ideas?

ALSO:
Im not sure how to check RAM voltages on my BIOS - can anyone help?

This post has been edited by shenmuemaster: Oct 19 2008, 03:30 PM

spiffyville

• Archived User
Ram Trouble
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »

It depends on the motherboard model. Some of the cheaper ones don't have that functionality in the bios.

shenmuemaster

• Archived User
Ram Trouble
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »

I have an ASUS M3A32 MVP Deluxe M'board cost £130, whether that is classified as cheap, I dont know  dry.gif

Running Memtest as we speak, doing each RAM stick individually, done 1 2GB Stick and 1 1GB Stick, no errors so far on EACH stick

However when I tried all the sticks installed (6GB) it had LOADs of errors and the test didnt finish  sad.gif

Btw, as far as RAM is concerned, wat is ECC? It is currently disabled