xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Upgrading Motherboard  (Read 30 times)

E-Ravishing

• Archived User
Upgrading Motherboard
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

I can just basically upgrade my motherboard with my existing harddrive yeah?

Mine is an old msi....and want to upgrade.

xboxbox451

• Archived User
Upgrading Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »

Moved to the PC forum.

As for your question, I cant see how your Hard Drive would be a problem, since all newer mainboards usually support IDE and SATA drives, just check to be sure.

As for your operating system, don't expect to hook up your hard drive to another mainbaord, especially if its Windows since you'll have activation problems, thats if it reads it at all. You'll probably have to back up your data and reformat your drive and reinstall Windows, even then Windows activation will probably still give you a problem, if it does choose activate by phone and call Microsoft to see if they'll activate it for you.

Also, your new mainboard will probably be incompatible with your current RAM, Video Card, and CPU, which you'll probably have to buy all new to meet the current spec of your new board.

If you cant afford all that, then you might be better off just adding more RAM to your current Mainboard.

E-Ravishing

• Archived User
Upgrading Motherboard
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »

Yes I realized all that.  I actually got a good deal from tigerdirect for a mainboard (up to 1066 FSB for future cpu upgrades)
8 GB upgradeable memory and a Pentium D 3 GHz(800 FSB) ...I got all that I need for a mainboard upgrade.  Except I was reading that it was possible to do an upgrade to an existing Windows installation.  But, I guess not. I read a tutorial that explained how to set windows into an upgrade sequence(using the instal CD) then power of and switch motherboards.  

I was going to buy another Pentium 4 (prescot) becasue mine is the older P4 Northwood. Then I thought well my existing motherboard is discontinued maxes out @ 1gig and FSB is a joke. I spent a little extra to get something with a bit more kick.  Minding that I don't use my PC for gaming or anything down that line.

I'm dreading doing a backup of my harddrive though.  

thx for the response

spiffyville

• Archived User
Upgrading Motherboard
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

Anytime you change mainboards like that you really should re-os the system anyway. A lot of times you'll run into problems with the drivers from the other board conflicting with drivers for the new main board.

E-Ravishing

• Archived User
Upgrading Motherboard
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »

yeah i guess that's the best thing.  So if I want to use one 160 gig harddrive for my windows install, and lets say a 250 gig for everthing else.  

So it's C:/ and a D:/ .  Can I get all my software to be installed onto D:/  Software meaning applications.  I want to use C:/ as only a designated OS harddrive.  I understand hardware, but when it was time to learn software I kind of didn't pay attention.

One other question, I got an EVGA nforce board -650i ULTRA.  How do I know what chipset it uses.  Doesn't say anywhere on the box.  I'm assuming it's chipset IS NFORCE 6?

crackfeen

• Archived User
Upgrading Motherboard
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »

WHAT? since when do you have to reinstall windows to change your computer components?
i used the same harddrive with my windows installation for 3 computers before i realized that it was too small for me and discarded it