xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Directx 10 Question  (Read 33 times)

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Directx 10 Question
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

Wow, haven't been here in a while >.>

Ok, so I'm getting ready to build a new computer and am planning on using a GeForce 8800, however it uses DirectX 10. Now, I'm under the impression that Windows Vista is the only OS with DX10 right now, however, I'm not particularly thrilled about upgrading to Vista just yet. I remember reading somewhere that there is a version of DX10 that will work with XP.

Is this correct, where do I find it, and does anyone have any experience using it?

Also, just to make sure, I can run two monitors off the one video card (link below) right? I imagine so because it has two DVI output's, but just want to make sure.

http://www.newegg.co....82E16814130071

throwingks

• Archived User
Directx 10 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »

I have read rumors of a hack, but I don't know anything about it. Try google.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Directx 10 Question
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »

First of all, thanks for the replies, I did get the new computer built, wasn't hard to decide after I realized I could run DX9 just fine till I get Vista  wink.gif

Anyways, 2.8 Ghz Athlon 5600 X2 processor, GeForce 8800 GTS, 4 GB of ram, 18 USB ports (I felt deprived with the 3 on my laptop, so I overcompensated tongue.gif), and to top it off 2 brand spankin new 22" Widescreen monitors.

Only issue I'm running into is, the IDE cable for my CD drives doesn't reach both drives. The IDE connection is on the bottom of the motherboard, while the drives are towards the top of it, do they even make longer IDE cables?

Thanks again.

throwingks

• Archived User
Directx 10 Question
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »

Yes, they make longer ones. They are out of spec if they are longer, but they still run fine. In theory, data traveling that far can become corrupt. But, get a decent quality one and don't worry about it.

Nice PC by the way.