xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Updates Without Logging In As Administrator  (Read 49 times)

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
Windows Updates Without Logging In As Administrator
« on: March 06, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »

I'm the Network/Systems Administrator for the company that I work for, so it's my responsibility to make sure that Windows Updates are installed on all the computers here.  We only have about 20, so it isn't a very big deal, except for the fact that I must login as the Administrator.  This is more than inconvenient.  First the user must save all of their work and close everything, then wait as I log off and log back in, then install everything, then log off and log back in again.  Sometimes I have to come in on weekends to do these updates for the people that are paid big dollars per hour, but that doesn't always work (I'm often out of town on weekends.)  If I could install them as the user, I could simply remote into their desktop, start the update process, then exit the remote program and be done with it.  Is there any way at all to install Windows Updates without administrative privileges?  I have spent a lot of time on Google searching and everything seems to tell me that it is not possible.  I tried running IE7 as administrator and that let me check for and download the updates, but they would not install.  Does anyone here know of any way to install the updates using runas or some other method?

sp3cialk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

If everything is on a network and in a domain you can use WSUS to push updates when you want.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »

Thanks, I was wondering if that would work.  I had tried installing it earlier but I later found out that you have to install it differently if using SBS.  So far I haven't reinstalled it using that method but I'll definitely do it now.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »

You could try AutoPatcher.  Look it up, it's good for you.

No idea if you can run it without admin rights though...

sp3cialk

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Mar 7 2007, 02:31 AM) View Post

No idea if you can run it without admin rights though...

True... I'm not sure if using WSUS would work without having the workstations joined to a domain... because when you join them domain admins get admin rights to the local box.  If you wanted to get creative you could always write a script that would runas admin... I've done it before but it's been a year or so.. I'm sure google could help ya out with that

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »

I just removed the old non-working install of WSUS from our server.  We are on a domain environment by the way, there is only one other person with admin privileges, the rest are standard users.  I looked up the AutoPatcher tool, it would work good for a few of the PCs around here, so I'll probably get it when I get home (torrents are blocked here).

I have a 26 page manual to follow with the procedures for installing WSUS on a server using SBS2003 that I'll probably try out next week.  I have some other things to take care of until then, but I'll post the results back here.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »

The AutoPatcher software works great!  Thanks deadparrot!  I'll keep this software to use for my personal use as well.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »

Glad to hear it works!  I've found it incredibly useful for everytime I reinstall windows since I do it quite frequently.  Beats the crap out of Windows Update any day.

Just make sure to grab the monthly updates!