xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 122 times)

woofis

• Archived User
New Laptop
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

alright well my sister got a new laptop the other day and well the battery life blows. it says 100% and it last 1 hour tops before having to recharge. my question is, is there anyway to make it last longer?

blame canada

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »

that doesnt sound right at all, unless its a really old comp with an old battery. If its new from dell, HP, etc., then email them explaining the issue. If they wont give you a new battery, then you could try seraching for one on ebay or whatever.

lostboyz

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

not particularly, i know some laptops you can turn the brightness down to energy saving mode. What are you doing on it that it lasts an hour.

and what is the estimated battery charge on it?

and its not uncommon, my friend has a beast of a laptop, one of those alienware gaming ones, and it will last him maybe a half hour on batteries. so its not really a portable thing anymore.

woofis

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »

its a brand new laptop. it was fairly cheap though. 700 bucks. you think i should call them up and ask for a new battery?

woofis

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

well there is a battery saver mode where i can turn the brightness and such down. i will try that. we actuallt bought 2 of these laptops. my sisters battery goes real quick. my dads is a little better. all my sister does is pretty much go on myspace and check her email. right now im on my dads. ive been on for about 10 minutes. battery is down to 90% and 1 hour and 31 minutes remaining.

Justincredibal

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

I do not own a laptop personaly, but I rember something about using the battery till it is at 10% and then letting it charge up completely to mak it so you get the full charge. You only do it the first time....

Im not sure exactly, but its worth a shot i suppose.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

Well, my laptop lasts 2 hours max, thats if I turn off the wireless card, turn off the speakers (mute), turn down the brightness, etc etc.

woofis

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »

yea i turned down the brightness and it gave me an extra hour or so.. so i guess this is normal?

thewickedjester

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(woofis @ Jul 12 2006, 10:04 PM) View Post

yea i turned down the brightness and it gave me an extra hour or so.. so i guess this is normal?

Sounds like it. You would be supprised how much juice the luminating of a laptop screen takes...

saunders73

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »

i get ~2 hours on my thinkpad with everything turned up (brightness, sound etc) but if i turn it down i can get maybe 3 hours. for mac there is a program that helps maximize batterys so im sure if you search you can find one for pc

yaazz

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »

bought a laptop for like 200 bucks off someone on here and it gets an unreal 8 hours battery life with WIFI on biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Tripme

• Archived User
New Laptop
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

I have an Asus laptop and it has a button that lets you switch between modes like performance, battery saving, etc.   I can get about 4 hours on a full charge on battery saving mode.