xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Troubles With Cdshell And Memdisk  (Read 39 times)

Vayate

• Archived User
Troubles With Cdshell And Memdisk
« on: November 09, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »

I'm new to CDShell/Memdisk, so don't hate. =P Anyway, I work at Computer Network Services at my college, and we've currently got a bunch of floppies for all the different NICs our computers are equipped with (joy). I'm trying to use CDShell to make a boot cd with memdisk (have to use memdisk, since for some reason these drivers like to try to write to A: when loading... no idea why), so I can select which boot floppy image I want, then swap out the image for a Norton Ghost client executable. I currently have my directory stucture set up like so:

[boot]
[GHOST]
-[210]
--GHOST.EXE
--WATTCP.CFG
-[211]
-[212]
...etc
[IMAGES]
-NIC1.imz
-NIC2.imz
-NIC3.imz
...etc
boot.cat

The GHOST directory, as you can see, has a series of folders with the same executables and different config files. DHCP is disabled because of the crappy network (thx 4 no funding), so we have to use static IPs dictated by the CFG files, and thus must duplicate the executables and run them with different network configurations, as you can see.

In any case, once DOS is loaded with Memdisk, I need to find a way to load the GHOST executables, either as floppy images (which I can make easily) or as executables directly from the CD drive.. Trouble is, Memdisk causes my PC to only recognise A:; I can't list any drives B: - Z:, since I get an "Invalid Drive Specification" error.

Any ideas?

Vayate

• Archived User
Troubles With Cdshell And Memdisk
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »

I reformatted the disk images as 2.88MB images and added a /ghost/ folder to them, so it's now pretty plug-and-play. The only issue is that I now need one CD for every IP address due to image size limitations. I'd like to have something a bit more platable -- one CD that allows me to select from many IPs without filling up the screen with "[F1] Intel Pro 100, IP 200," [F1] Intel Pro 100, IP 201," etc, etc.